Indigo 1.1.7

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:24 am

BbB wrote:Ono: Would it be possible to also assign the sun, environment maps and normal mesh emitters to different layers? Right now only diffuse emitters seem to accept this.
+1
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 am

suvakas wrote:Hey Ono, can you explain the ways of "base_emission" and "emission" a bit more than in manual?
Why the "base_emission" has so high values like 2000000000 ?? and how the "emission" relates to it?
The base emission has high values because in standard SI units, common spectral radiances are large values.

emission simply multiplies the base_emission.

Phoenix
Indigo 100

Crazy Fireflies!

Post by Phoenix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:38 am

I run the "dispersion_test" from the testscenes and here is the result!
Attachments
dispersion_test-aperture_diffraction_disabled.png
"dispersion_test.igs" with "aperture diffraction" disabled
dispersion_test-aperture_diffraction_disabled.png (232.16 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
dispersion_test-aperture_diffraction_enabled.png
"dispersion_test.igs" with "aperture diffraction" enabled
dispersion_test-aperture_diffraction_enabled.png (220.82 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:03 am

Great :D You're really fast :D

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 am

Wow wasn't expecting a new release arlready - I'll get to testing. Did you allow the sunsky light to be set to a light layer yet?

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:17 am

if indigo can still read in old materials from the db, should it not be fairly trival to make it spit the material back out in a new updated format? Then you can just add support in the mdb for different versions of the same matterial (indigo:1.1.5 or ingido:1.1.7 ect).
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

OnoSendai wrote: No, you can't 'call' other material types from a material shader.
I think that this would definitely be a good feature to add to Indigo, if possible.
OnoSendai wrote:You can use a shader to control the blend factor of a blend material, however.
<mr Burns voice>
Excellent!! 8)
</mr Burns voice>
OnoSendai wrote:not sure why you would want to do that.
It would be more of a time-saving device. You could have a scene with maybe hundreds of mesh's, each with their own textures, and then modify those textures in a specific way all at once. An example might be with a dust shader, so you could have a colorful ball, a nicnak, and a book on a shelf all covered in the same dust material. Maybe one way of doing it would be to have material inheritance so that a mesh could inherit a material and then add to it or modify it? But then you might have issues with the order in which the material is added to the object? :?

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that for a dust shader or even a snow shader, you would want to have a separate mesh that is inside the original mesh. In this way I think it would be easier and have better results then trying to modify the original mesh. Especially when using displacement and SSS for the dust/snow.
Grimm

SimonLarsen

Post by SimonLarsen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:44 am

Amazing.
The shader language seems a bit complicated at first glance, but I'm really looking forward to taking a shot at it.

And the updated manual is badass. :D

Thanks a bunch, Ono.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:31 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
suvakas wrote:Hey Ono, can you explain the ways of "base_emission" and "emission" a bit more than in manual?
Why the "base_emission" has so high values like 2000000000 ?? and how the "emission" relates to it?
The base emission has high values because in standard SI units, common spectral radiances are large values.

emission simply multiplies the base_emission.
What about 'emission_scale' in the <model>

Do we really need another emission parameter? (it appears to be optional anyway)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I get this error message when i try to apply a texture to <base_emission>
Non-textured emitters (constants) are working so far.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
default-settings.igs
materials only - no meshes
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Fatal Error: IndigoDriverExcep: SceneLoaderExcep: Found unexpected element 'texture' in element 'phong'. (Around line 106, column 17)
What's the deal with the new way to specify textures? (i.e. texture indices). I got it to work with diffuse materials but I get the above error with Phong materials. Does this new format only work with diffuse materials?

EDIT: Same error message with oren-nayar materials as well.

That's a bug which I've fixed in my code now. It should work for Phong and Oren-Nayar in the same way as with diffuse.
Attachments
default-settings.igs
no meshes
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:10 pm

yeah I seem to be having trouble with phong too but here it doesnt like 'diffuse_albedo' EDIT: fixed that one ;)

finally worked out the correct way for sigma though :lol:

luminance is in but I havent tried it - so much work :(
Last edited by Big Fan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:02 pm

zsouthboy wrote:Wow wasn't expecting a new release arlready - I'll get to testing. Did you allow the sunsky light to be set to a light layer yet?
It defaults to zero currently. In a future release i'll allow the sky and sun to be put on different layers.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:03 pm

eman7613 wrote:if indigo can still read in old materials from the db, should it not be fairly trival to make it spit the material back out in a new updated format? Then you can just add support in the mdb for different versions of the same matterial (indigo:1.1.5 or ingido:1.1.7 ect).
Yes something like that could be an option for converting the entire MatDB. But such a conversion seems kinda pointless if backwards compatibility exists :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:04 pm

SimonLarsen wrote:Amazing.
The shader language seems a bit complicated at first glance, but I'm really looking forward to taking a shot at it.

And the updated manual is badass. :D

Thanks a bunch, Ono.
Np. The shader language is actually pretty simple, as programming languages go :)

123 posts