MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:58 am

First make sure you are using centimeters as units, as Maya cameras fail otherwise.
How do I check if the resolution gate is activated for the camera? I am not even sure of what that is...
In the View Pane menu, the first item is "View". Scroll down to Camera Settings, and switch from No Gate to Resolution Gate. Now you should have a strong reference for camera positioning.

What happened, I guess, is that if this is not activated maya uses the lateral borders of the view pane as image limit, that's why it seems not to match into one of the two dimension. Tho at a certain point I think the camera gate was set as default ?

Hope that helped, still you can point me to the version (or archive) of MtI you are using.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:07 am

Phr0stByte wrote:I hope I am not conveying the wrong message here... I mean no malice. I am just disappointed and trying to point out that the script is in no way easy to use, which is fine if it was only meant to be used be the few developing it, but I doubt that was the original intent.
What we really need to hear are the things which are making it difficult for you. There's no way I can guess what troubles you are having.

If you still believe that blendigo is much easier to use, can you tell us which parts of ir specifically, or which aspects of it's design that you like ?

As for the camera, for some reason the script requires a 3-point (camera, aim, up) type of camera for export. I'll have a look at perhaps trying to lift this restriction.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 am

dougal2
The camera is deffinately the biggest problem. I cannot get it positioned correctly. It make since to me to select the Indigo camera, and say "look through selected". Then its a matter of getting things to look right in your view port. This works well for any other camera for any other renderer, but not Indigo. Whats the trick?

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:52 am

Phr0stByte
Mostly I just make sure that the resolution gate is on, so that I can see exactly the region in the viewport that is going to get rendered.
I do the same with any other renderer too, otherwise it is actually impossible to match the viewport to the render as your viewport may be a different size/aspect.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:11 am

dougal2
Here is something to see and try to make since of it all - makes no since to me.... Here is a look at the Indigo render output, the indigo camera viewport in Maya (with resolution gate on), and a perspective view to see what all three camera nodes look like...
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (62.4 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (57.41 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
im1214088075.png
im1214088075.png (685.91 KiB) Viewed 3273 times

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 am

ah, ok. Your camera up vector is broken.
The angle between up and aim vectors should be 90 degrees.

Try deleting the indigoCamera and remaking it for now.

As I said, if I can remove the requirement for the 3-point camera this will no longer be an issue.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:43 am

dougal2
Yeah, I just tried again with a new camera and made sure to keep up and focus nodes at 90 degrees, but the render is still totally different than the resolution gate view...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:32 am

I think that if you move the camera only when looking through it, nothing should break at all. That's the only way I use to place the Indigo cam successfully, and it never fails for me. You can also drag the camera from outliner to the viewpane to see through it.

The way how the focus point is placed tells that you did an unusual manip to place the camera: you can move the whole camera group, but never one of the nodes separatly.

If that help I can do a quick vid on how I place the cam (the way you do it I guess); I use "f" a lot and that works for me.
obsolete asset

98 posts