MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:47 am

I'll probably still be up at that time (11 pm here). I'll lurk in the IRC in case you turn up.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:50 am

dougal2
Sounds good - unless you would rather do it this weekend. Dont want to keep you up. What is the Indigo IRC network and channel?

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 am

#indigo on irc.enterthegame.com

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 pm

dougal2
The fixed version of my Eclipse (the maya one):
I stripped all mr mats and did a test export to Indigo - the export went OK, but when starting Indigo, I get:

Building Mesh '|BodyPanels|Bumpers|FrontWings|polySurfaceShape28'...
0 vertices (0 B)
0 triangles (0 B)
Couldn't find matching cached tree file, rebuilding tree...
TriTree::build()
calcing root AABB.
Segmentation fault

This is the front fender - can you see what the problem may be if you get a chance (I think you have the file)?

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:37 pm

The problem is that the OBJ file exporter exports all intermediate objects, which obivously have 0 verts.

I thought recent versions of indigo were more tolerant of 0 vert objects and would ignore them. :?

One fix for now is to delete all history on objects, if you can afford to do so.

Also beware of empty groups/transforms. Your scene to export to indigo really needs to be uber-clean.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:03 am

dougal2
Cool - its uber clean now and exports fine. Even got the import igm to work from the new mat db mats.

I have the whole week off from work, so needless to say, I will be messin with stuff :D

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:18 am

Phr0stByte wrote:Even got the import igm to work from the new mat db mats.
sweet. I haven't re-tested that recently.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 am

Hi, did I miss some update ?

I was successfull exporting objects with history recently, I think it's fine now (since 1.1.1 maybe).

That said the camera/scale related stuff is *oook* ... I'm affraid that was me but still I'm not sure, I havent coded for weeks, my bad.

On the other hand I'm still open to questions regarding Maya, specially shading networks as you guys can model already etc. My global mode is "on demand" :)
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 am

CTZn
Still using 1.09_3 (as I am running the last linux native indigo)...

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 am

Phr0stByte wrote:CTZn
Still using 1.09_3 (as I am running the last linux native indigo)...
beware of using materials from the DB that are > 1.0.9 format then ;)

Phr0stByte

Problem with Indigo camera?

Post by Phr0stByte » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:13 am

Hi guys,
I seem to have notice that the render output does not match the camera view if you use the frame ("f") function to zoom in on a selected object to render. Can anyone verify this?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Hey PhrOstByte, I feel like an ***hole not to have answered earlier... well I didn't notice something like you said, the problem is that my version is quite broken, I should revert to the same than yours.

The fact is that pressing "f" put's the focal point at the center of the selecion, not at it's surface. Maybe that's wat you are talking about if you don't use autofocus ?

Also you may want to activate the resolution gate of the camera if it's not, this is supposed to be the reference.

A pic or two may help to see you problem !
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:30 pm

CTZn
Today is over for me as I am dead tired and am going to bed, but I will test some more tomorrow - it very well could be I just did something wrong. I remember Blendigo being a snap to use and long for mti to be at that point. Might it be possible for mti just to convert the perspective camera to an Indigo camera? I think that would be simpler (for a user anyway - maybe not from a developer's standpoint)...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 am

From a developer standoint that should be possible, from mine it's a bit tougher... also Indigo uses a 3-nodes camera, while persp is a single node camera.

Can you tell me the name of the MtI archive you get the files from ? I'll revert to the same version than you then see what can be done (by me), yet I don't know how, and even if i'll be successfull.

I you could be more precise on what is wrong/unhandy with indigo_camera that'll be usefull guidance; also check if the resolution gate is activated for the camera, as I stated yesterday.
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:50 am

CTZn
How do I check if the resolution gate is activated for the camera? I am not even sure of what that is...

[EDIT] Just had another failed attempt. I cannot seem to get the Indigo camera positioned correctly. As for your question about what is wrong - I cant really say. All I know is that I have not gotten a good Indigo render since I stopped using Blender/Blendigo/Indigo. To further iterate, I bet I can import my model into Blender, export with Blendigo, and have a good render kicked off in a matter of minutes. You might even argue that Blendigo has been around a lot longer, but I was using Blendigo with ease since it existed. It seems that as of now, the ONLY ones to get nice renders with MtI are the ones working on the developement of it. That should say it all.

I hope I am not conveying the wrong message here... I mean no malice. I am just disappointed and trying to point out that the script is in no way easy to use, which is fine if it was only meant to be used be the few developing it, but I doubt that was the original intent.

98 posts