MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 12:13 pm

perhaps I should put a link to the SVN on the mti svn page ... duh ... then those who know how can checkout too.
Perhaps I should have asked you explicitly... you got my point ! Actually a simple zip of the relevant folders will do; not that I want to ask you to do more, dougal, but that would match my attempts as a user (and as myself as well :P).
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 am

The last commit log entry is now shown on the mti SVN page as an indication of what was fixed/changed in the latest revision... so be careful what you type in your commit messages !! :)

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 am

Just done some work in the Wiki. Not much has really changed I don't think.

- All of the material translation stuff is still relevant
- Added a few mentions of indigoShader
- Added a mention of the installer, but kept the manual install instructions too

It could go into a lot more detail about how to set certain things up, but then it would start to go "off topic" from MtI and more into either Maya setup or general indigo stuff.

I dunno - perhaps any users here could add a word or two about how they use MtI in their workflow, and what they find useful ?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat May 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Ah yes the wiki :oops:

Meshlights updated.

The install instructions need a refresh too, i think it's safe to copy-paste the version I sent you, is it ?
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:36 am

Damn, I re-installed Maya and the MTI script, but Maya says it cant find mti_Main and also cant find indigoShader.py. Using Linux version od Indigo (1.09._2) and Mti 1.0.9-3 (linux installer). What could the problem be?

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:52 am

OK, things to check:

Do the MtI scripts exist in /home/[name]/maya/[version]/scripts/ ?

Are the paths set properly in /home/[name]/maya/[version]/Maya.env ?

It's possible that if you didn't remove or change Maya.env when reinstalling that it could be overriding the new path with the old (but they should be the same :? ). Best to check in there anyway and manually remove any old or duplicate paths.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 am

*interrupting*

Hey doug, I may be able technically speaking to update MtI with 1.1.1 features, for the non-py part of course.

- by checking if a displacement shader exists and getting <b> and <c> from alpha gain and offset, using shape settings for subdivisions

- by adding the new renderer settings

- I'm wondering why convertSolidTx was not used yet ? I may be able to do that based on your code, the command itself is working great IMO (see my disp test).

As of when I will put my hands into that... you never know. Fancy coding PhrO ? :lol:
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:13 am

CTZn wrote:*interrupting*

Hey doug, I may be able technically speaking to update MtI with 1.1.1 features, for the non-py part of course.

- by checking if a displacement shader exists and getting <b> and <c> from alpha gain and offset, using shape settings for subdivisions

- by adding the new renderer settings

- I'm wondering why convertSolidTx was not used yet ? I may be able to do that based on your code, the command itself is working great IMO (see my disp test).

As of when I will put my hands into that... you never know. Fancy coding PhrO ? :lol:
OK, well feel free to start coding if you want, I won't stop you ;)
Let me know what you need on the python side... I kinda thought though that displacement was a setup in the hypershade, rather than a material type. However, I don't know, I've never used displacement.

I think convertSolidTx was never used before because of the camera view-dependance, remember we did tests with 3D textures and got odd artifacts at the object tangents ?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:16 am

You'll get that tut on displacement.
I think convertSolidTx was never used before because of the camera view-dependance, remember we did tests with 3D textures and got odd artifacts at the object tangents ?
For some of them only, it's really worthwhile.

Yeah, you can stop me... when I'm rushing :mrgreen:
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Guys, unfortunately, I have just given up on this. I dont have the time or the patients to fight with things to make it work. No offence, but if you run an installer, it should install - which it has, just not in a usable state.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey PhrO, no offense if you don't use an unusable thing !

If that's me well I have no place to hide, and if that's Doug, man, that can happen :)

As we said here "one can't be at the horn and at the moulin". Me ? Neither ! Or say I'm bathing in the river.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Phr0stByte
OK, well I fully expected that people may have problems with the installer scripts. Unfortunately there's only the 3 of us here to do the testing, and you know full well that these scripts are not well tested.
It's greate that you tried it, and I appreciate the feedback that something went wrong.

Frankly though, if you could provide more info rather than just stating "I'm giving up" then I can work towards making it work!

I already asked you for some info, and you haven't provided. There's no way I can help you like this.

I presume you've at least gone to the effort to clean up the files that the installer copied across ?
So, starting from a clean slate we can work through getting this installed for you, getting the installer scripts to work properly and making things generally better for when you or anyone else needs to install in the future.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 am

dougal2
I will clean all mti stuff off and try once more, but I'm not going to fuss with it a whole lot, unless your are truely interested in whats going wrong with it. We would have to meat up on IRC, MSN, are the chat window here, as trouble shooting through post or email would literally take a week or more.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 am

Phr0stByte wrote:unless your are truely interested in whats going wrong with it.
precisely. what's the point of me writing/maintaing MtI if nobody can install it?

Can we meet on IRC sometime, maybe this evening (8pm GMT) ?

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 am

dougal2
Unfortunately, I will be here at work then. I dont get home untill 6pm EST (New York, USA)

98 posts