MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 am

BTW, the CamExposureDur changes you've made in the scriptnode are incorrect.

What you need to do is advance the mti_version by 1, and create a new

if ($mti_cV < NEW_VER) {}

block that removes the old CamInvExposureDur attribute and adds the new CamExposureDur attribute.

you should not have changed any code in the
if ($mti_cV < 0.939)
block, or in any block that is older than the new version number.

Basically, the idea is that if the script finds an mti_settings with an old mt_version, ALL of the if() blocks from that version up until the current one are run in sequence to reflect the changes made in each version.

I hope that makes some sense... :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 12:31 am

I have no linux sys, never had but surely will one day ! Can't do that now... and, I'm not asking for me, and anyway I prefer manual install :P

Thus the idea of a link where ppl can easily get last svn version, packaged by your server as soon as a new rev is comitted (is that possible ?), because it must be very frustrating for users to wait weeks when we update that frequently and they leave the place outraged.

The aim is to generate a better testing/debugging environment (more users, more feedback).

I'd like next stable release to occur within 7 days...
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am

CTZn wrote:packaged by your server as soon as a new rev is comitted (is that possible ?)
I'll look into this, I know SVN supports "hooks" but I've never used that feature.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 am

Cool !

I'm having hard time debugging mtiEdi... updating current state to svn; will commit again later, before I leave the place. Since it works already for meshlights I'll release it publicly at the same time.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:33 am

OK, I got the hook running. Whenever anyone commits, the installers will be made and put here:

http://hamsterfight.co.uk/mti/svn/

It might take a minute or two for the server to build the installer after you commit, but you should keep an eye on that page to see your new build :)

EDIT: actually, it doesn't seem to be running automatically, but works fine if i run the hook manually. I'll look into the issue later on.
Last edited by dougal2 on Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 am

This is excellent Dougal, thank you !!!

Maybe create a thread so incoming people can see that new feature; here they may miss it. It'll be easier to find the link at a later time anyway.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:07 am

CTZn wrote:Maybe create a thread so incoming people can see that new feature.
hmm... no. I'm not sure promoting the SVN builds for new users is such a good idea.
I't convenient to have them to give to people who explicitly want to test, but I don't want anyone to be getting the SVN versions by mistake.

BTW... where are all these mythical users ?
As far as I know it's only you, me, phr0stbyte and vux that actually use MtI.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 3:19 am

That's the point. It's about creating a new dynamic, not constating that there is no dynamic.

PhrO stated it didn't use MtI anymore, and vux is not here everyday...

My opinion is that we can explicitly offer people to test an unstable version, wich is a bit different than waiting for them to take the initiative: most won't, and we'll be the two of us. Period.

If there is a thread dedicated to the SVN hook there can't be any mistake; if people can't read english or are stupid we can't help anyway.

I'm still not convinced by your arguments, plus I'm certain of the participation shift. That said, the decision is up to you and I'll respect it.

Users feedback on that topic is welcome, obviously.

Cheers mate !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:33 am

OK, I hear what you're saying. Once you've stabilised your mtiEdi a bit to the point where it could be included in a proper release, then we should make a real effort to do the following:
1) cease adding new features until we complete the rest of this list
2) update CHANGELOG.txt to reflect new changes (no updates since r215). This is as easy as copy+paste+reformat from https://svn.hamsterfight.co.uk/log.php? ... =0&isdir=1
3) update the documentation in the wiki. (not changed since r172)
4) re-write the README.txt to contain a few "getting started" pointers, helpful URLs, forum links, our names etc etc
(both changelog.txt and readme.txt are included in the installer packages for users to read).
5) go visit some 3d forums and spread the word about Indigo and MtI. We should perhaps collaborate on a "standard post" that we will put up that introduces what Indigo is, what it's good for, how stable our export is etc etc etc .
6) - perhaps get some useful feedback from new users and re-start the development cycles.

what do you think ? I know that's mostly "admin" work but I think MtI and Indigo are now good enough that people should be able to install and use it with very little trouble, and very quicky achieve very good results.

[ An addeddum to point #5:
perhaps we could gather some info about the other exporters and collaborate with the other exporter devs and Ono too to compile a generic
- Indigo is ...
- Indigo can be found at ...
- Exporters available for ...
- Download links ...
post that will perhaps reach a wider audience

I know it seems like a drag (well it does to me) that it's down to us to to this kind of work, but in the long run it will benefit us i think.]

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 am

Agreed at 500% !

Tonight I should give a boost to mtiEdi, I'm a bit confused now that it becomes more complex, it's harder to track bugs...

So the longest thing in your road map is the collaborative part, so better not to wait !

1) nothing more to add
2) I can take that
3) this too, at least for the biggest part
4) I'll have a look at this as well; you may finish it because of my average english.
5) your job ?
6) justifies 1), 2), 3), 4) and 5).
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 am

Great :)

Some thoughts:

I might completely re-format the documentation as I would like to emphasise more the use of the indigoShader plugin for those people who have a version of Maya that supports it, and then have a different section explaining the Maya shader translations.

I'm thinking along the lines of keeping it really simple, avoiding too much technical talk.
Now that we have installers and the indigoShader, and an easy to use mtiEdi there's no real need to explain anything too technical, it should all be explainable in a "click these buttons for this result" kind of way rather than "setting this parameter, via this translation, sets this indigo parameter."

We shouldn't have to explain the meaning of indigo parameters - that info already exists in the wiki elsewhere, we could just link to that rather than repeat lots of things.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 5:46 am

there's no real need to explain anything too technical
I agree, that was the aim for me: that users have not to learn a third software: MtI.
We shouldn't have to explain the meaning of indigo parameters
That's right.

got to go, I'll catch your posts later.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:32 am

OK, I _finally_ got the SVN hook working properly... after much testing.

I also made the SVN packages page a bit more pretty.
http://hamsterfight.co.uk/mti/svn/

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 am

Man that's more than I expected... looks so professional, woaw, quite a step ahead as far as I'm concerned ! And now I have the icons installed, I didn't bother :mrgreen:

That said as a fellow beta tester I'd like to have direct access to the ASCII format without executing an installer, got me ? ASCII is cross platform ;)
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:52 am

but you have direct access to the files via the SVN ... ?
(it's actually possible to unzip the windows install .exe file ;) )

perhaps I should put a link to the SVN on the mti svn page ... duh ... then those who know how can checkout too.

98 posts