MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 10:06 am

yes... Is fstop a counter for deaf penguins ? Ah, well, maybe I killed too much of them :/ See I told you you knew more than me ! :arrow: :arrow: Really I can't tell what's right or not concerning camera stuff, so last "fix" must be wrong... I'll document myself, just need time not links ;)

PhrO

If you can tweak mr correctly there is no way for Indigo to be that harder to set up, but you may be right concerning car paint. But Doug's monolithic shader is cool too. My sensation regarding MtI is that things are more and more straight forward, but maybe not yet up to your needs. For instance, now I seldomly post edit igs files while in the beginning there was lot of tweaks needed. But are you intimidated by Indigo technical terms or MtI itself, as of the last time you tried it ?
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:35 am

BTW, this could be a pointer that we (I) need to update the documentation. It hasn't been touched since rev 172 :oops:

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:40 am

re: the metropolis switch, line 239 in mti_Gen was wrong.
I've just corrected and committed it to SVN.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Cool !

Yep for the doc. I think I was wikizing (translating into french in fact) before I lost connection a few months ago... I'm more efficient at this, I don't do PDF or HTML stuff. And my english is not always as good as requested but come on, I'll assist you !

I've not been coding for more than 24h, wich is a bad signal since I'm still a beginner :?
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:35 am

Potential MtI code cleanup:
There are a lot of places in MtI where the scene Up Axis is detected and various values adjusted in order to change a Y-Up scene into an indigo Z-Up scene.
I've recently found a much better way to do this. We can in fact adjust the entire scene's Up Axis, AND rotate all the geometry all in one go so that for Y-Up scenes there will be only 2 places in the entire export process where anything will be adjusted:
a) at the start of export, adjust the whole scene to Z-Up
(then export)
b) at the end of export, adjust the scene back to Y-Up

Here's the code:

Y-Up -> Z-Up

Code: Select all

select -ado;
group;
rotate -p 0 0 0 90 0 0;
upAxis -ax z -rv;
ungroup;
select -cl;
Z-Up -> Y-Up

select -ado;
group;
rotate -p 0 0 0 -90 0 0;
upAxis -ax y -rv;
ungroup;
select -cl;
If you run this code on a scene, the ONLY thing that should change in your viewport is the little axis indicator in the lower left corner. :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun May 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Actually I feel more safe to invert values before transformations rather than transforming a whole scene (thought I haven't tried the sample code). I fear that could lead to unwanted behaviour in certain cases, but if instances work ok with it then why not...

What happened to Sun, how does it work ? I think I've heard about the new heliodon code, I saw something similar at highend3d.com. But if it's broken then #@$% !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 pm

look in the extra parameters of the directional light object.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon May 12, 2008 2:19 am

Oki, thank you !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am

CTZn wrote:Actually I feel more safe to invert values before transformations rather than transforming a whole scene (thought I haven't tried the sample code). I fear that could lead to unwanted behaviour in certain cases, but if instances work ok with it then why not...
on second thoughts, don't use the code I posted - it seems to havea habit of seriously screwing up cameras.

why oh why does Maya get quite upset when you change things like up axis and scale units ? grrr :evil:
seems that cm and Y-Up keep it most happy.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue May 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Yes, I agree that's raging... There must be a good reason :?

BTW new sun stuff is really cool !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:25 pm

BTW, another handy "helper" that I was thinking of putting into MtI was
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads ... -1577.html

however, I stopped myself due to the fact that it's not really indigo specific.
What does eveyone else think?

I have a copy of this script, that I have modified to use NURBS circles and to work properly ;)
I'l dig it out if anyone's interested.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 pm

The idea souds cool but that's "just an helper", better focus on MtI still... but the more there is, the better (if accurate, stable and well related, being not specific doesn't make it worse at all).

REV 245

+ Rewrote mti_existsScriptNode. Faster.

+ Fixed aperture_radius

+ aperture_duration takes seconds, like Indigo does and like time goes :) it's also unclamped

+ Added full meshlight support:
* incandescenceR : R or temperature or peak_min
* incandescenceG : G or gain or peak_width
* incandescenceB : B or base_value
* ambientColorR : peak_value
* ambientColorG : power_drawn
* ambientColorB : efficacy_scale

+ eventual minor fixes
Now you can launch a render while having full control over lighting conditions, no more xml hand editing. This version is near stable, if not. Of course errors are possible :)

Now I can go back to the Indigo Properties window or whatever I'll call that :D I'd like it to be ready for next release.

Doug, don't you thing we should create a (single) thread dedicated to unstable versions ? I believe it would generate a lot of positive things: fast feedback on errors, higher level of involvement from the users, less frustration for them... everyone happy. Of course, unstable would be marked IN BIG RED CAPITALS. Maybe this could be automated by your server: new rev = archive updated = static link.

Waddya think ? Guys ?
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

I think we should keep the dev talk in the thread of the most recent release. That way any new points of discussion aren't lost in a sea of old stuff, and the dev talk remains relevant to building on the current release.

Thanks for putting in the other meshlight parameters. I'm hoping mtiEdi will make them easier to edit too - I always forget which parameter gets translated into what.

Here's an Idea - because of the variable spectrum types (rgb/bb/peak) being detected from the colour value, can mtiEdi show the user what the actual output type will be when editing the lights?
ie. if i set RGB < 1 (or whatever it is), there will be a line that says "RGB spectum: x,y,z", or if I set it in the bb range it says "Blackbody: xxx K, ggg Gain" etc etc ??

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 pm

It's ok for the discussion to stay here; I was talking about releasing svn builds so people willing to take some risks will be more involved.

Sure mtiEdi is designed for this ! It's current state is quite broken but it works fine for setting meshlights, precisely. I'll be on it today, I have a few hours in front of me and will release publicly an alpha anyway before 17h GMT.

Didn't you see the animated gif I did ? It's showing support for the three spectrum types (light 4300 is the name of the lighting shader)... either what I don't understand your request.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 am

CTZn wrote:Didn't you see the animated gif I did ? It's showing support for the three spectrum types (light 4300 is the name of the lighting shader)... either what I don't understand your request.
ok. cool - looks like you've already done it :)

As for SVN releases, do you have a linux machine ?
The linux shell scripts will make it very easy to make new packages.
Basically, run the makeDist.sh script passing the version number to it:

user@machine:~$ ./makeDist.sh SVN-r246
and the installer packages should appear in the ./dist folder.
You will have to install NSIS for linux though to make the windows installer (makensis command). The linux package process has no special dependancies.

98 posts