MayaToIndigo 1.0.9(.3) (Updated 25th April 2008)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 am

Mmm i've kept things synced if I remember correctly. I agree the dev on <absorption_coefficient_spectrum> is experimental, I was unsure about what I had to do.
IMO it's correct that the absorption effect changes with object size
Does for the effect, but not for the optical properties of the material. Anyhow you know better than me about this :)

Yep, a really few mods, but that window only matters, it's "stand-alone". In fact since last year I did much more but I'm almost starting over at every new version, mods get lost etc.

For sure I'll look at the new stuff tonight, things are installed but I'm worrying about system issues since my first connection today :? I'm starting to update my knowledge base !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 am

ok I ran your objectEditor window thing. It's kinda cool. Certainly helps if you're using the Maya shaders.

I had to change a few lines of code though as it wouldn't run at first.
You had lines like
$attr[] = ...blah..
which didn't work, I changed them to
$attr[8] =
and
$attr[9] =

dunno if that's what you intended, but it loaded and ran after I did that.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am

Oh yes sure I'm sorry, I threw the last state file wich was heavily under devellopment... the blinn case for sure ;)

Definitlay have to see that IndigoShader thingy... explorer still not launching, starting apps from task manager... damn web :evil:
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 1:01 am

Yes, I don't really see the point on using Maya shaders nowadays... good job ! And looks quite simple as a code... I'm interested...

Why didn't you implement spectrum definitions ? Is that on the track ?
[edit] ah ok, I'm comparing mti_ModuleTools.mel now.

Yep the "Indigo Properties" window needs a big rewrite, but in my opinion it's still relevant as an "on the fly" editor, draws quicker than AE (but after it so it's really an alternative to AE). Opinion !?
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 am

Code: Select all

// Error: file: C:/Progs/3d/Alias/MayaToIndigo/SVN_MayaToIndigo/src/MayaToIndigo/mti_ScriptNode.mel line 33: Cannot set the attribute 'mti_settings.mti_version' below its minimum value of 1080. // 
I assume I must delete the scriptNode saved in the scene or something... there is no reverse compatibility :?

Sorry for the active posting !
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 am

Don't delete the scriptnode just yet... this is more like a scripting problem:

what happened here is that mti_ScriptNode tried to update mti_settings, however mti_version is set such that

min = max = value

in order to effectively make it read-only to the end user.

I think we could fix this by relaxing the min/max restrictions on mti_settings.mti_version and trust that the user never adjusts the value by hand.
Perhaps there's another way to make the value read-only ?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 2:52 am

I have no idea about this, I never really analyzed the versionning stuff, but seeking through the commands gave:
lockNode is undoable, queryable, and NOT editable.

Locks or unlocks one or more dependency nodes. A locked node is restricted in the following ways:
  • It may not be deleted.
    It may not be renamed.
    Its parenting may not be changed.
    Attributes may not be added to or removed from it.
    Locked attributes may not be unlocked.
    Unlocked attributes may not be locked.
Would do on mti_settings isn't it ? Erm well, you can't the scriptNode then I guess...

BTW REV 241
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:09 am

I don't think we want to lock the entire node, just the mti_version attribute.

re: rev 241. Cool. I thought I'd merged in one of those - obviously I merged the wrong way :oops:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 3:31 am

Don't worry, I've got my task list watching all the time ;)

So rev 241 adds to the next release:

- ability to use docked Attribute Editor to edit mti_settings

- resolution gate to IndigoCamera because it's matching nicely the final renders

- working* aperture camera when setting mti_globalScaleFactor different than 1, for the sake of camera blur.

Cheers

* At least that's my sensation ^^
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 am

OK, I've very little experience with using real cameras and what "realistic" settings are - I'll leave that to your judgement.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 6:12 am

I don't either, but that works !

What's the next big thing you're doing Dougal, what are MtI users desires ?
Attachments
marxdo_view4b.jpg
Default IndigoCamera, real world scale modeling, autofocus is on I guess.
marxdo_view4b.jpg (49.31 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Fri May 09, 2008 6:17 am

CTZn
As dougal would probably tell you, My biggest problem is how to get mats they way you would like them, but it looks like further dev on the Indigo shader might do the trick :) Being a previous Blender/Indigo user, Blendigo was amazingly easy to cope with in comparison to Mti, though I do realize that I am comparing apples to oranges and Blendigo has been around longer. But one can wish for ease of use, right?

So far I have found that choosing "mental ray" from the render options is just easier...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 am

The thing I can do the quicker is update a bit the window I was working on to manage IndigoShader, and then release it. Then you'll tell me the pros and cons at usage. It will make access to the parameters easier, just like what the IndigoShader was designed for. It will even hide the features you don't use of this shader.

But if you mean setting the parameters right so materials look real, only presets or a good understanding of the parameters can help... or tips, like: "the <b> (bump depth) value represents a distance in meters, with an image ranging from black to white (and usually of a linear exponent, as for bump)" ?

Tell me if I missed your point Phr0stByte, I'm not sure yet...
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Fri May 09, 2008 6:59 am

CTZn
I will give it another go soon, but I have not bothered in a while because in my opinion it is just very intimidating with how difficult things are. I have my car model almost complete - I am texturing and matrialing things right now for mental ray, but I will try an Indigo version too. Maybe not the best subject to try with, as I havnt seen good car paint yet with Indigo (no fault of the export script, I know).

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:54 am

CTZn
I think the DOF is too strong in your render. Is that still with f/stop at the default 50 ?
50 should be producing very very little DOF effect.
What does your scene look like if you use a lower f/stop like 4 or 8 ?

98 posts