By ryandaniels at 2008-02-23

And here is the box art:

By ryandaniels at 2008-02-22

Please comment! :D

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:21 am

I would suggest you to buil a studio setup, it will get a better lighting and improve the overall look of it.

Olis

Post by Olis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 am

What I said on facepunch :wink:

noyb

Post by noyb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 am

Agree, studio shot would work better
Also, find a background/lighting that makes the box more interesting - they are nearly identical in color

Since you seem to be focusing on the box art design, it's helpful to remember:
contrast, repetition, alignment, proximity (I remember it as c.r.a.p) - this is especially true when using helvetica (or arial). Everything seems randomly placed and has no unity. If you're intent on using arial, you need LOTS of contrast to make it appear visually interesting (and the red "lots" isn't nearly enough) - try extra bold large point next to an extra light medium-small point size.
Try to keep some unity - especially on the back - every single block of text is a different font variation/ either a different size, weight, etc. More similarity = better unity (as long as there is still decent contrast)
Center alignment is a little boring - it's more suitable with script typefaces, try a strong left or even right alignment.

Sorry about the semi-harsh crit, your intent is good and I'm certain that future projects will be much better :)

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 am

As a former art director, I have to emphasize noyb's points, especially "C.R.A.P." (which I'd never heard of before, thanks noyb! :D).

The difference between amateur design and professional design is that one "appears" to simply work - it's cohesive, consistent, and provides an obvious visual route for information absorption (diagonals help here).

Consider going to your local bookstore, and picking up a book on art & design - seeing examples (and specific citations of common problems which may or may not be obvious) will help you move forward tremendously.

ryandaniels

Post by ryandaniels » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:16 am

Well, I have to admit that I am still stinging from the criticisms, I thank you for being honest and providing good advice.

But, how was the modeling?

noyb

Post by noyb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 pm

The modeling is good for a dvd case :)

Don't take the criticism too hard, you'll be amazed how fast you improve with a little practice. The process of learning this stuff is a much bigger accomplishment than any small project.

Often times it's little easy things that make the biggest difference, like a simple studio setup.

muody

Post by muody » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 am

check some CG forums (don't be afraid, mental or v-ray renders don't bite :twisted: ) - look how people deal with studio/environment setups for objects in similar scale.
as for the box art design... find some tutorials or articles focusing on magazine covers or posters. the problems are the same: typography, placement and proportions of elements, etc

8 posts • Page 1 of 1