how to upload wiki photos?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
Big Fan

how to upload wiki photos?

Post by Big Fan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:23 pm

I have been working on the blendigo wiki again although I swore I wouldn't cos of all the useless bums who just cant be bothered :evil: but..

Q.How and where do I upload images to use in the wiki?

It seems radiance must have made a space somewhere with his admin privileges but I cant find how to do this myself as an ordinary member.
I cant seem to upload to the wiki directly it needs to be here somewhere first I think.

If you see this post as you are nosing around radiance :wink: please tell me how or or pass on to some other admin person how to handle this, thanks.

BTW everyone we are always happy to have people read and correct or extend what has been contributed so far. :D :?
Last edited by Big Fan on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:39 pm

It's very easy. When you edit a wiki article, you have a button for insert image. If you click this you get in the media gallery, there select the Namespace wiki in the top of gallery and you can upload yor images. but be careful, i think you cann't delete images from there, so upload only needed images ;) good luck

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 pm

ok thanks I uploaded a trial ok...for some reason I have difficulty then obtaining it with the image tool... but I seem to have worked out the correct syntax to put in the text to link to it anyway :roll:

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

I've just had a quick scan through the blendigo article.

I must say that it's a fantastic article, although it seems to me that large portions of it should be made into general Indigo topics, and are not blendigo specific.

ie, people looking for general info on indigo's settings, coming from a non-blender direction probably won't think to look in the blender section, even though it contains a lot of important info.

IMO, the wiki is generally lacking in good topics, probably because it's all in one article which is platform specific.

Just my 2c.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 am

um well yeah I guess you could 'borrow' bits for other exporters wiki entries if you were struggling for content.. :D
best wait till its finished though - a bit of work yet :wink:

I am hoping someone will add the linux bits for me later 8) but there is a header there waiting...

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 am

OK, I'll wait to see what your finished article is like.

An example of what I mean though is instead of having the examples under the emitter section (which is generic, useful information), that should be a separate page on the wiki, which you link to in the blender tutorial (and I can also link to in the Maya documentation).

I'm sure you know that I mean. Perhaps when you've finished I might (or perhaps someone else could) have a go at copying (ie, I'll leave your document intact) some of the generic stuff into new pages.

(this post needs more parentheses).

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:32 am

well I have a few wee thoughts about 'copying'.
this particular wiki is being done for the open source blender community.
that is not just existing users but the wider community still to find indigo.
it wasnt undertaken to be generic material for other applications but to offer a readable and comprehensive introduction to what rendering in indigo via blender is all about for novices.
although it has borrowed slightly from some of the previous blendigo wikis kindly started by way back when by radiance when information was very scarce it is so far this time about 99% done by me.
why? cos despite my asking no one will help out.
its actually been there for a while with some empty headings waiting and still no participation...even when people said they would write specific topics up. :roll:
it actually takes quite a bit of time to hunt down information and present it. most likely already 20 hours (and this on top of the video tutorial I did with davec assistance - perhaps 40 hours.. + I have donated a fair bit to forum costs as well..just while we talk about it :lol: )
now you say you want to copy it or link to it.
well I am only semi impressed by that really as you might understand.
if you want to pick over and reuse the info well ok I suppose but how about you guys from other applications contribute something to the blendigo generic stuff or refine it in return?
or perhaps donate to indigo as a copyright 'fee'.
(and I bet no one will :wink: )

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 am

PRE-READ WARNING: erm, this seems to have turned into a bit of a rant. :oops: Not aimed at you Big Fan, or anyone here, but seeing as you seem to share a few feelings that I do, I might as well relay how I feel.
Please don't take any of this personally.

----

I myself have done no small task in refactoring and adding new features to the Maya exporter.... far in excess of 40 hrs in itself.
Let's not even get started on the 2 weeks I spent on the materials database :cry:
Anyway, I wasn't trying to imply that I'd take your work and pass it off as my own - I was observing that some of that info is useful in the context of general help and documentation for Indigo (which, despite asking Ono for, doesn't seem to materialise).

(as a side note, why the hell should I contribute to the blender community? I know fuck all about the blendigo exporter and blender specifics. Similarly as I bet that noone here in the blender forum knows anything at all about Maya or MEL or how Maya integrates with Indigo, and I wouldn't expect them to. In fact, thinking about it, I have offered cross-platform help in the past - thread titled "exporter cross-pollination" - and what happened with that? FUCK ALL :shock: ).

On top of all that, you've hinted that I should donate my hard earned funds ON TOP of my valuable time to supporting indigo? I don't think so. I've given far more back to indigo (community) than it's so far given me. I've spent more time and effort developing stuff and doing tutorials and trying to be helpful for indigo users than actually using indigo for any of my own purposes. I certainly have never used indigo for any paid work.

Oh, I forgot about my time with Violet! :shock:

Not prompted by this thread, but honestly recently I have been asking myself why the hell I have bothered.

Actually, a partial answer to the WHY question, is that I have in fact learned a lot. I enjoy learning stuff, and I enjoy being able to develop my skills using useful projects as a base.

Anyway, we're way off topic. Besides, people who have been helped by my contributions have been greatful and that's probably the best I could ever ask for :)

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 am

... :roll: :arrow:
"The sleeper must awaken"

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:43 am

OK, while I'm ranting - why the fuck do you post 2/3/4 smilie posts psor? what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

I'm getting a bit pissed off with the way you (and Kram) dilute the useful information in this forum with meaningless shit.

psor
1st Place Winner

Taking the bait!

Post by psor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

It is my quite artistic way to express myself by avoiding words. :lol: ;)

take care
psor

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:23 am

:!: well I hope you feel better @dougal2 :shock:

I dont think I mentioned passing it off as your own..

hmm..you cant see why you - or others- should contribute to refining the generic stuff you will lift to use in maya docs...ok...why the hell (to quote your tone :wink: ) should I contribute to the maya community indirectly by allowing you to copy my effort for blender? write your own! :lol: -joke-

I think you will have read elsewhere of my reluctance to assist people who are using non open source, indigo for paid work, or cross the line from user to maker..
to me I am helping blenderheads use indigo not nik write his documentation for free - sorry nik

well I didnt actually finger you personally to donate..

only you can answer why you still bother or give as much as you do
I went through a period of declining to give when others dont and I suspect when I have finished revising the wiki -*cos no one else will*- I will probably return to that status.
I have I think maxxed out my donations anyway :roll: else it might end up cheaper to buy maxwell :lol: (wash my mouth) :P

as I said you CAN take bits to use..
I hear where you are coming from about contributions 8)
perhaps this situation could have been avoided if we had hammered out a better agreement with nik to begin with

have a nice day :D

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 am

well there doesn't seem to be anyone active here using Maya - perhaps I'll change camp again and help out with blender. perhaps there's no point because there's already 2 very good devs working on blendigo and your good self doing the docs.

I agree that perhaps nick should spend more time on documentation for indigo stuff. I've had a very hard time finding out the correct recent stuff to put in MtI.

Perhaps there's even no argument here because there's nobody asking us (well, me anyway) to do anything.

meh. beyond caring now. I've got more important thing to worry about - like presenting 3 months' work to a client on thursday :?

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 am

Good luck with the presentation then! :D ;)

btw. what did you do for the client? :?

take care
psor

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 am

I've built a web content management system. It's awesome, I'm quite proud of it - and I'm sure the client will love it, but they've seen very little of the visual designs and none of the system functions yet. I've got to make sure that they understand it completely on first sight.

23 posts