Lamborghini Gallardo

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
doublez

Post by doublez » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm

I think I found the thread you mentioned. Is it a test thread of drBouvierLeduc's? He post some test pics and then eventually posts a .blend of a a leaf? I have to look at it more when I have some more time, but it looks like it could be helpful for making plants to be put in planters by the windows and pots on the ground. I also want to have some vines growing up the side of walls and what not. Kind of like this...

or this...

Any tips or idea's?

Kosmokrator

Post by Kosmokrator » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:03 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
r u kidding? :shock: :shock:
1)Core i7 965XE stock CLOCK ,PSU:CHIEFTEC 850W
M/B ASUS P6T DELUXE,WATERCOOLING ZALMAN RESERATOR 2
MEMORY:6GB CORRSAIR @1600,Ati HD 4870x2,
MONITOR:LG 1950SQ,CASE:THERMALTAKE SOPRANO

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:25 am

I've been quite absorbed in the whole issue of plants and trees lately. Haven't really found the ultimate solution.
For the kind of ivy in these images, I would use Thomas Luft's ivy generator ( http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/ ). It's a fantastic standalone app that creates pretty heavy but incredibly realistic meshes in .obj format.
For plants, try this: http://web.inf.tu-dresden.de/ST2/cg/dow ... licplants/

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 am

yeah, should be that thread :)
Though, just as a warning, that might be the most realistic-looking solution, but it shouldn't be the fastest.
There where other solutions, which looked not *that* good but still "good enough" and where a lot faster :) (for example, as one starting point of the dr's solution was, simply blending diffuse transmitter with phong.)
The real SSS really adds a lot to it, though. :)

You could do it like this: using a temporary material, for the tests and try to find a good leaf material (if Leduc's isn't already as you need it) in a simple test scene :)
Then, in the final image, you use optimized material :D

doublez

Post by doublez » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:56 am

Kosmokrator Kidding about what?

BbB That ivy generator you linked looks cool and I'll download that to try out and see what I get.

Kram1032 I know I'll just use it as a ref to how to make materials and model the leafs, but I won't copy what he did. I don't want the plants to be the main subject :P

And just so everyone knows the second pic is a photo I found on flickr. I just thought it was a good example of the ivy I wanted to do.

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:44 am

That ivy generator should get you precisely that look. Also it generates leaves and branches in separate objects so you can trim one or the other. Have a look at Thomas's gallery for examples of other things you can do with it too.

doublez

Post by doublez » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:39 am

This was my first try with the ivy generator and it looks pretty good even with the leaves just as planes. I need to figure out how to give every plane a leaf image now, but that shouldn't be to hard. I know about the realistic grass tutorial by drBouvierLeduc so I can just do something like the materials in there.

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:18 am

Thomas' site also includes an archive of leaf material, including clip maps. The leaf planes in your model are already UV-mapped, so you don't even need to unwrap them. There are two kinds of leaves, corresponding to two separate leaf object: young and adult. Just apply the appropriate clip-mapped leaf to each mesh (a blended mat) and that's it. There are also dead leaves if you want to play.

Kosmokrator

Post by Kosmokrator » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 am

doubles i mean about the pictures....is renderings in indigo or photos?looks amazing......its photos right?
1)Core i7 965XE stock CLOCK ,PSU:CHIEFTEC 850W
M/B ASUS P6T DELUXE,WATERCOOLING ZALMAN RESERATOR 2
MEMORY:6GB CORRSAIR @1600,Ati HD 4870x2,
MONITOR:LG 1950SQ,CASE:THERMALTAKE SOPRANO

doublez

Post by doublez » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:20 am

BbB Thanks for letting me know that, I didn't see those. I'll be messing around with it for awhile, I'm in no hurry.

KosmokratorThe first pic was in the blender gallery. April 2007 I think. And the second was a photo on flickr I found.

doublez

Post by doublez » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:43 am

I added another vine on the left of the pic and it looks better than the far back one, so I'm going to redo that one. Also I might try something else with the roof to make it more interesting.

doublez

Post by doublez » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 am

I think I have the ivy how I want now and I still have to model some small plants yet, but I want to start on some texturing and don't know where to start. Like the doors. I want them to be big, wooden doors. Where can I get textures? How can I get a bumpmap thats equal to the texture? (etc.)

Can I get some help on how to texture? Thanks guys!

BbB

Post by BbB » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 am

For doors, go to CGTextures.com.
For bump maps, just start with a B&W version of your colour map. When you're big, you can start experimenting with custom bump maps.
(Just kidding of course, but simple B&W is a good way to start. Hell, if you really feel lazy, just use your colour map in the bump channel.)

doublez

Post by doublez » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks for that site I found some good stuff there. I bookmarked it for future use. But sadly my computer can't keep up with these huge meshes. Trying to export a scene with just the ivy, camera, and sun takes awhile and freezes my computer so I think I either need to get a new computer, stop working, or come up with a new scene idea.

The third option will be the best way to go I think and shouldn't be to bad, I have a few other ideas for scenes.

BbB

Post by BbB » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Split your ivy meshes into different, smaller objects. They will export more easily.

51 posts