3D Software: Cinema 4D

Cindigo 1.0.6 (updated 8th Feb 2008)

Post by fused » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:30 am

CINDIGO 1.0.6
for Indigo 1.0.6

download exporter:
PC Version
(or below)

The file contains PC versions for R10 and R9. (R10 users will have to rename the "cindigo1.0.1.cdl_R10" to "cindigo1.0.1.cdl")

Make sure you have the newest version of quicktime installed!

A good beginner tutorial can be found here (onyl in german, but an english translation is coming)

please tell me if you find bugs or have specific requests. i will try to fix/implement as fast as possible.

new in 1.0.6:

* Camera Tag (explanation below)
* Convert Materials (explanation below)
* Aperture Diffraction
* Aperture Shape
* Obstacle Map
* Splat and Downsize filters
* Render foreground alpha
* polygons with area = 0 will be ignored on export
* unused points wont be exported
* normals wont be exported anymore if normal smoothing is disabled
* instances of objects with a hierarchy(instances in instances will be ignored)
* changed the way blend materials work. for a blend map you now have to use the alpha channel of the c4d mat

known bugs/issues 1.0.6:

* only UVW-mapping supported (no tiling)

features to come in the future: (for preventing double and tripple requests)

* better .obj export (still needs optimization)
* Region Rendering
- tell me if i forgot sth!

The Camera Tag
It belongs to a camera. only to a camera. you can have a camera tag for each camera in the scene, with different settings. the settings are only used if the camera with the tag is active. if there is no active camera with a tag, default settings are used.

Convert Materials
I implemented this for better and faster workflow. All you have to do is create your materials in the normal way and start "Convert Materials". It creates Material Tags in the scene and translates the settings to Indigo material settings. You might want to do a little finetuning, though!
Attachments
Cindigo1.0.6_2.zip
Cindigo 1.0.6 R2
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 2939 times
Last edited by fused on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 am

Here I'll try to collect all Bugs Found for Cindigo 1.0.6, and all requested features:
Greyed out Stuff is already fixed or implemented by fused, and will be released in the next Cindigo version!

Bugs:

1) Cindigo Tags on Primitives like "HyperNURBS" that collapse to an null_object on 2meshConvertion get ignored,
here an >example file<

2) Materials that are inside a HyperNURBS etc. that get exported, and converted to a Mesh get thair names clamped inside the .obj file. The Name "mat test 1" gets clamped to the first word "mat" etc. Here is an >example file<

3) Primitives tagged with the light tag get exported using default_mat.

4) For Background light Peak no values can be chosen.

5) Dermis & Epidermis are both exported having a precedence of 10, but Dermis should have a higher precedence than Epidermis or the rendered results are ultra slow and fu**ed up.
So let the user change the precedence and use a default of 11 for dermis and 10 for Epidermis.

6) If an unassigned C4D material (the one with the big white X) is tagged to a mesh, or an Cindigo material Tag without an C4D mat linked, in both situations C4D crashes... crashing isn't a good way to tell the user he did something wrong.

7) Oh... width & height are get exported visa versa ^^

8 )The ExponentMap for Phong materials gets also exported if the "specular color" in C4D is deactivated.

9) The Diffuse Transmitter material only have a Texture Exponent in Cindigo, that exports as Texture Exponent AND Gamma value. A separated Gamma setting is needed here...

10) spheric env path isn't exported! *thanks to pixie for reporting!

Some Ideas:

a) Materials that are used but not defined cause Indigo to crash, because material definitions are missing (in this case maybe some pink warning mat should be used instead...)

b) I have no Idea how Displacement works in C4D internally, but maybe it is possible to export the C4D calculated displacement Mesh somehow... :)

c) Export and Start Indigo should allow also the use the command line version to save RAM... This and the process priority should only be choose able if start rendering is checked.

d) for Export a "last directory used" should be saved, so each time I choose a new env map or change a texture I don't have to lock for the folder I want to export my Indigo Scene again and again

e) The Number Clamping of C4D is mostly an issue for the Global Size modifier... a workaround test would be nice to se here first. Maybe a fixed multiplier on export (x0.01) would help here so 100 would be the default value for 100% size!

f) regarding C4D Lightsources. For other area lights maybe C4D mesh needs to be generated and used as lightsource (disk, hemisphere etc.). In an second (more advanced) development Step, Spot lights could be exported to IES files and used by Indigo, so the shape of an C4D Spotlight don't get lost.

h) Using C4Ds 10+ "Interactive Render Region" to determine The Render Region for Indigo would be very nice!

i) Setting the only available camera data included in Indigo as default path for Camera Mapping, would save some clicks for the user!

j) Support for other Texture Mapping, by simply converting the the textures to UV mapping on export would be nice.

l) Last but not least, animation support! for each frame a own igs file. Should be "easy" to realize for model orientated animation, where position, size angle etc. change.... by mesh orientated animation like Cloth simulation etc. this could get complicated...
At least for using the tiled Camera feature of C4D animation support would be great!

m) An option to use relative paths for Textures would be nice, maybe a checkbox on the Export to igs Dialog. Relative paths are important for sharing scenes and for net rendering!

n) If possible, the implementation of multiple UVW Tags recognition would be nice, so different materials on a single mash can be mapped also different (very useful if you are a BodyPaint n00b like me :wink: )

o) The "Texture Exponent" should be only visible if a texture is aplied to the material ;-)

p) Changing the default material to rgb 0.8 0.8 0.8 to optimize render speed, lokk here & here for some reference.

q) please add checkbox for working master mode (-n wm) in export dialog.

r) Texture emitters always get exported with gamma of 2.2. Maybe they should take the gamma of the material that is used as basis. Maybe a gamma slider available in the light tag, only in such combinations, would work too...

s) For phong materials using NK data, gamma don't get exported... or even isn't needed/supported by Indigo.
Last edited by Zom-B on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 am, edited 43 times in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 am

hehe. i just hacked it in quick, did not test :P
ZomB wrote:1) "Convert Materials" converts the Bump Value 1:1 but it should be around 1:2500. So its way to high atm.

2) "Convert Materials" converts the IOR of an reflective material way to aggressive too. a reflection of 2% in C4D is already an IOR of 9, and thats nearly a full reflection in Indigo!
i updated the version and changed these things. should convert better now.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 pm

fused wrote:hehe. i just hacked it in quick, did not test :P
i updated the version and changed these things. should convert better now.
Dude, I get no chance for a long bug list this time :lol:

Thank you very much!!1!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Camox
2nd Place Winner

Post by Camox » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:37 pm

:D :D :D Thanks fused for your hard work and this wonderful release !

greetz :wink:

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:53 pm

at this point id like to say that hard work is different :P

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 pm

ZomB wrote:Dude, I get no chance for a long bug list this time :lol:

Thank you very much!!1!
Which is a feat on itself! :D

Camox
2nd Place Winner

Post by Camox » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm

fused wrote:at this point id like to say that hard work is different :P
Hard in the spirit of strenuous or complicated. This expression can also differentiate. :)

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:04 am

Getting better and better!!

Very good, fused!! :wink:

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:49 am

Tnx Fused NICE WORK!!!
Luca. ;)

Phoenix
Indigo 100

Re: Cindigo 1.0.6

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:54 am

fused wrote:Convert Materials
I implemented this for better and faster workflow. All you have to do is create your materials in the normal way and start "Convert Materials". It creates Material Tags in the scene and translates the settings to Indigo material settings. You might want to do a little finetuning, though!
That sounds quite interesting to me, thank you very much for that!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:11 am

Thanks Fused!

studiomoccoro

sceneloaderexcep

Post by studiomoccoro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:06 am

hi fused,
thank very much for the exporter.
this is the first time that i've used the exporter, (i am not familiar with the exporter),
but when i try render a simple scene, i got this "sceneloaderexcep" error
when indigo starts.
"found unexpected element "aparture_shape" in element type "camera".
i'm running c4d r.10.5
what am i doing wrong?

cheers,
george

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 am

Hi dude...

It seems you are using the latest stable Indigo version 0.9.10.
The Cindigo exporter is named by the version of Indigo it is compatible to,
So get Indigo 1.0.6 to use the 1.0.6 Cindigo exporter :wink:
polygonmanufaktur.de

Sayris

Post by Sayris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:31 am

thank you very much :D

83 posts