tonemapped exr

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
lego

tonemapped exr

Post by lego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:57 am

what is the use for the tonemapped (and untonemapped) exr?
I thougt it was an hdr version of the render that you could use to edit exposure or something like that, but I tried to open it and it seems like the colors are completely different from the actual render!

is there anyone kind enough to explain me what it is for, how can It be used and with which software (I'm using openexr and krita to open them now)?

cooler_inc
2nd Place Winner

Post by cooler_inc » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:10 am

Maybe you'll find some answers in this thread
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... tonemapped

lego

Post by lego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:31 am

cooler_inc wrote:Maybe you'll find some answers in this thread
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... tonemapped
well, that's strange... I did a research before posting, and I completely missed that thread :)

Now everything is much clearer, but there are still some obscure points!

untonemapped exr is the raw file, which uses indigo internal color format (96 or 32 bits?)
tonemapped exr is the untonemapped exr after tonemapping (lol), and it should be 16 bits if I'm not mistaken.
So is it possible to apply linear or reinhard tonemapping after the rendering? is there any open source software that I can use to apply tonemapping?

I don't think that the png is just the tonemapped exr scaled down to 8 bit, as they are quite different! What other transformations are applied?

lego

Post by lego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:30 am

I did a bit of research and then, armed with pfstools and hdrshop, I did a quick test

here you can see the results
on the top left there is the untonemapped.exr (sorry for the menu:P however there isn't much to see in that image!)
on the top right the tonemapped.exr
as you can see it's quite different from the render output (the bottom right one)
on the bottom left, however, I have applied a default reinhard tonemapping with hdrshop to the untonemapped.exr and, as you can see, it's very close to the actual render output!

the next step will be to find the relationship between indigo prescale/postscale values, and the options in the reinhard plugin for hdrshop :)

jurasek

Post by jurasek » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:41 am

Compiz? :wink:

greetz,
jur

lego

Post by lego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:35 pm

jurasek wrote:Compiz? :wink:

greetz,
jur
yeah :)

here is a screen of the parameters

it's not very user friendly... not even sliders :D
anyone knows how they relate to prescale, postscale and burn? I've looked a bit on the net, but didn't find anything

6 posts • Page 1 of 1