Fryrender demo is up!

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
144 posts
CoolColJ

Fryrender demo is up!

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:29 pm

as it says

http://www.fryrender.com/index.php?subpage=download

The fryrender demo version is a fully operational version of the software with the next only limitations:

- Maximum output size cropped to 800x800.
- Watermarked renders.
- No network rendering.
- More persistent splash screens.
- Merge operation disabled.
- No Virtual Reality features at all.

Demo users will not have support beyond the tutorials / videotutorials / scenes on the web and the read-only sections of the forum.

testing time :twisted:

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:44 pm

must say it does seem pretty quick for an unbiased renderer relatively speaking :)

I love the feature where you can just draw out an area of the scene where you want it to concentrate on first, and once that is clean resume the rest of the pic -very very handy for previewing caustics and such. You can even shift click and draw out multiple areas to work on!
Perfect to clearing up dark noisey areas

so far I like it better than Maxwell renderer when working out of C4D
nice interface, more techy feel with lots of controls in the main rendering application, and lots of feedback 8)

now to compare some scenes I have from Indigo to Fryrender :wink:
The noise pattern as it develops is quite different from Indigo and Maxwell.
It has a distinctive shape.

it comes with a SU plugin too, but only for the pro version...

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:38 pm

i downloaded it, but i see only a feversoft file with no extension.. how did you open it?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 pm

it should be an .exe file, after that you have to unpack the plugins as needed in the plugin folder

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm

:wink: , it works.. simply renamed it..

thank you!

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

first test - I didn't get all the materials exactly the same.

It was hard matching the colour balance, even though both ae supposed to be at 6500k... plus Fry has a ton of parameters

The red diffuse transmitter is just a diffuse red material in the Fry version, but I found single sheet scattering material in Fry, so I should have used that, but they don't look that much differnet.
And the green SSS material doesn't seem to be scattering all that much in Fry. I just used a modified green soap SSS preset, with less absorbtion

Back wall is phong in Indigo and diffuse in Fry, which probbaly changes the reflected light and overall look a lot. I don't quite understand the materials in Fry, so I need to find something like phong

But man Fry is pretty fast! 1 hr vs 3+ hours here.. and cleaner/smoother... granted Indigo is doing some heavy duty work on the SSS and diffuse transmitter.
Plus while the caustics of Fry match the bidirectional MLT mode of Indigo, the reflections on the left cubicle look more like MLT mode in Indigo..ie not as accurate, but the Sun position isn't exactly the same, but darn close. When used the same time and date settings, the sun position didn't quite match, I had to move FRy's time 35 mins forward....

This is also max bump map value in Fry, hardly matches Inidgo and looks to have a kind of blurry look like Maxwell :?

The gold preset material in Fry doesn't quite match the NK data version in Indigo. Metals look closer

I will try some more simply tests. If anyone has anything or a scene they want me to try, let me know, even though my PC isn't that fast, but i got a quad core coming sooner or later :)
Attachments
CCJ_Indigo vs Fry1.JPG
CCJ_Indigo vs Fry1.JPG (151.71 KiB) Viewed 8693 times

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 pm

interesting!
the bump on the fry-floor isn't noticeable at all.. and maybe the phong backwall in indigo is a reason why the rendering time is longer..(not sure about that).

IMO the overall sharpness of the edges is better in Indigo..

how about the setup time of the scene?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 pm

well I already had the scene for Indigo done last week for a render modes test I am doing for a topic I made in the general section :)

but most of the materials were already easily converted by Fry, just had to hand select a few materials myself.
Not too bad, much faster than Maxwell to setup materials that's for sure!
But the materials are more complicated than Indigo, you can have multiple layers and blends and more scientific style parameter types

yeah I want Fry to be sharper, but there is nothing to adjust there. I used an F-Stop of 22, which also effects the brightness of the image just like a real camera

I'll try some simpler cornell box comparisons
Last edited by CoolColJ on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Interesting test.
Same number of threads?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:40 pm

yes, I only have a P4 Northwood at 3.2ghz anyway :)

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Very interesting that they should have this damn Maxwell blurriness too. I still wonder where that comes from, and I still tend towards over-zealous noise reduction. This probably means, like for Maxwell, that you need to render at huge sizes and downsample to get acceptable sharpness, which for me is a bit of a no-no. I notice they've also doubled the price overnight. Ouch!
What sort of Max plugins do they have? 7, 8, 9, 2008 like Maxwell or do they go back further? (couldn't find answer on their website)

As for the bump, I can't see it either. Now that would really make the image clear faster, wouldn't it?
Last edited by BbB on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matsta

Post by matsta » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 pm

the cube in the background looks like it has some sss going on but the one in the fryrender seems to be either not as much or no sss at all.

i think that if you let the indigo render completely resolve it would look way better than the fry render. but alas the challenge is speed incorporated so on that side fry wins. what kind of dev tam is there for fryrenderer? more than 1 guy i take it :S

we <3 u ono ;)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 pm

I think Fry has some "cheat" going on sorta like the light cache with Vray when using path tracing...

when you click on each object's properties, they can be set to 1 of 3 light modes - full radiance map, merged radiance map, per-vertex radiance map. I think this is for the virtual reality engine
you can also view the radiance map in the main Fry render program. The bright lit areas are red and so on to cooler colours for areas with less light

and each object can be set a visual importance rating. It defaults to all even. But I think this may determine the sampling allocation ...pretty handy along with the selectable area rendering :)

If anyone has a particular scene they want done, compared, just buzz me

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:13 pm

for max plugins there a 2 directories 6-8 and 9

BTW the lights seem awfully weak in Fry! 100w 6500k light barely lights the scene at all even with ISo cranked up to max!!
I have to multiply the light factor by x1000....

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 pm

Did you model to scale? I know it's a big factor of light intensity in Maxwell.

(Mmmh, the demo download link seems to be down. I always get bounced back to the registration screen. Oh well...)

144 posts