Blendigo for v0.9

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
frank.bela

Post by frank.bela » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Hi Kram1032

Can you please tell me some more exactly where that script would be found? I would be glad to put some test to it.

Anyway, you are right - the idea is working in Kerkythea. I use KT and Indigo, side by side, both are quite powerful renderer. I've just looked at in an XML file from the Blender2K exporter yesterday. Yes, the static particles are there as small polys (quite many of them in a moderately diff scene, as you can imagine). So the idea is right there and working (off course it is not the perfect solution, but working). Any scene, with organic models and hair that I've made so long was rendered in KT, because of this feat of the exporter. How nice it would be the Blendigo would do that too.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:24 pm

The current script is for single edges/vertices only...
It's posted three times, I think, in the forums...
I'll search one of the threads :)

Edit:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... h&start=15

here it is :)

oogsnoepje

Post by oogsnoepje » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:58 am

I've been using Blendigo for the past few days and I really love the script, but there's one thing that's very annoying for me.
Because I'm using a laptop with a slowish 5400rpm harddisk and an even slower FAT32 formatted partition, it takes a while to write out the whole scene file each time. Especially for large scenes it can take a while.

I have no idea if this is possible using the Python scripting in Blender, but wouldn't it be a very good idea to use the .Igs files for material and scene settings only, and to write out objects in the .Obj file format and update them only when it's necessary?

That would cut the time to export files from Blender to Indigo in half on my system. I know that exporting to an object isn't free either, but it's going to be a lot faster when there's only material settings to be changed and / or one or two objects instead of the whole scene database.

The only question is if Python in Blender can execute other Python scripts (and check if it was done succesfully). Hmm..
(this last piece of text was just some brainfarts :))

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:05 am

I see your point oogsnoepje, but i think it'd be too much work for such a small gain, specially cuz most of us use NTFS with 7200 RPM disks or higher.
-----
P5N32-C Coffee machine overclocked to 4 cups a minute! still not enough...

oogsnoepje

Post by oogsnoepje » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 am

I think you could be in for a surprise then. I'm fairly sure I am not the only Indigo-user with a laptop :)

Also, for large scenes it would probably improve the situation on 7200rpm disks as well (I'm talking about scenes with more than a million polygons here, not a few spheres).

I just took a look at the Python API documentation and there doesn't seem to be any functionality for executing other scripts. Could have overlooked on it though..

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:39 am

perhaps you are right ( :oops: ), i just made a couple of subdivided spheres (5) each with 200 000 faces. I tried to export it, and it kept exporting for 2 minutes until it gave me a memory error.
edit: btw im on a laptop with a 5400 rpm and a 2.13 ghz Pentium M.

edit2: testing the latest indigo exporter for blender right now, been 40 seconds and still not done with the first sphere. The sound my HD is making is scaring me :shock:

edit 3: It worked this time, no memory error. Took 2 minutes and 46. Resulting file: 167 MB.

I think doing the save thing as you work would take too long, but maybe the exporter code could be optimized a bit (plz dont flame me on that) for speed, because it sure took a long time to export whereas blender saved the million poly+ scene file in about 2-3 seconds.
-----

oogsnoepje

Post by oogsnoepje » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 am

Heh :)

Optimizing wouldn't make much sense, I'd guess. It's Python after all (ie. an interpreted language == slower).

And writing out all the scene data each time doesn't make much sense either, that's why I posted :p

I've read something about an option to include files.. that would be a nice option as well!

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 am

Blender is able to save its own files so fast because a .blend is a simple memory dump - do not use that as a comparison, because it's not fair.

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:53 am

RIGHT, i forgot about that. I had read that somewhere, but i didnt remember when i wrote that post.

It'd be nice if exporting to igs was as easy as memory dump, but thats not possible i think.
-----

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

you can elect not to export out the meshes I'm sure, but selecting separate mesh option, and unclicking the mesh export button after you have done it once... :?:

oogsnoepje

Post by oogsnoepje » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Wheheh :oops:

You know, I really did not notice those buttons at all until you posted that comment.. :oops:

Time went down from 5 seconds for a small scene to 0.2 seconds :D
Awesome! Thanks a lot CoolColJ!

*feels ashamed and puts head back into butt

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:56 pm

coolcolj: too smart for your own good 8)
**agrees with oggsnoepje and puts head back in but **
-----

Heavily Tessellated

linux monkeys

Post by Heavily Tessellated » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:08 pm

This is relevant to 0.9_beta_4s... not spending much time in linux I see. They're simple yet annoying errors... :)

First error: if you try to spawn blender from inside the directory as one normally spawns an executable from the current directory, it blows up because of the path separator processing doesn't account for having to specify the starting directory:

./blender &

gives, when you try to run the exporter:
"/home/heavily/blender/blender-2.44-linux-glibc232-py25-i386/./.blender/scripts/bpydata/IndigoWrapper.conf"! this file must contain the path to the Indigo directory.

Second error: Unlike Windows, linux is case sensitive. Seems you re-introduced this one. blendigo_v0.9_beta_4s.zip has the file stored as Indigowrapper.conf so even launching with a rooted path:

/home/heavily/blender/blender-2.44-linux-glibc232-py25-i386/blender &

can't find file "/home/heavily/blender/blender-2.44-linux-glibc232-py25-i386/.blender/scripts/bpydata/IndigoWrapper.conf"! this file must contain the path to the Indigo directory.

Third error, well it's more of an omission than an error really, it does not expand the home directory shortcut, treating it as a literal tilde in the path:
can't locate indigo path "~/.wine/drive_c/indigo_09_test3/indigo.exe"! please correct your "/home/heavily/blender/blender-2.44-linux-glibc232-py25-i386/.blender/scripts/bpydata/IndigoWrapper.conf" file.

Other than that, it's rockin' right along... :D

--------------------

edit:

logic flaw: Hmm it will still process infinite ground plane with bidir toggled on. In this case putting up that textual disclaimer takes as much typing as disallowing it.

something like: if (GroundPlane.val) and (Bidirectional.val): ### ignore user request ?

Richiev

Post by Richiev » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Just gave Indigo v0.9 test 6 a go with Blendigo v.09 beta 4 on XP with 4 threads, works great!

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Request

possible to use the -o option to rename the rendered images and IGI files to the same as the scene file name?

I believe Maxigo does that

297 posts