CONTEST!!! design a material preview scene

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine

Which entry whould be selected as our new default material view?

zom-b
9%
afecelis
2%
Malimunas
4%
radiance
73%
thatdude33
4%
noyb
9%

Total votes: 56

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:05 pm

Nice one Radiance! :D
The grey thing is alittle to big...
And I think there should be a sharper edge somewhere, plus some bubles inside of it... :)
But the design is very cool!

Maluminas

Post by Maluminas » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Whoa! Could you wait for my submission plz? :( Ill have it ready in a few hours, im having trouble with the UVs.

I would really like to at least have a shot at this, considering i proposed we should to design one in the first place :oops: I worked for several days on mine :(

Maluminas

Post by Maluminas » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:53 am

Ok its finally ready! Thanks Radiance thats very kind :D

So thats an example, its gold nk. It has all the features i said earlier, and i think its really sexy 8) Strangely, it looks somewhat like yours radiance, probably because we used the same guidelines :)

Its a big render (500x500) and it took 20 minutes on my average P4 HT comp. When its rendered a bit smaller for real previews its gonna be faster.

Tell me what you think :)

Im really sorry for being late, i had 3 exams this week :x lol

Kosmokrator

Post by Kosmokrator » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:58 am

yes its good but i prefer radiance model! :wink: :lol:
1)Core i7 965XE stock CLOCK ,PSU:CHIEFTEC 850W
M/B ASUS P6T DELUXE,WATERCOOLING ZALMAN RESERATOR 2
MEMORY:6GB CORRSAIR @1600,Ati HD 4870x2,
MONITOR:LG 1950SQ,CASE:THERMALTAKE SOPRANO

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:31 am

Now that Maluminas has posted I have a new favorite. I see people discussing the ground, I had thought that someone would use a colored ground like the colors in this post:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

You could see how the material reflected and absorbed colors. Either way lets see more good work!

dogfin -

ThatDude33

Post by ThatDude33 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:36 am

Here's a small version of mine with a new mat (again I forgot the indigo logo :evil: )

Matt B. >>Maya To Indigo<<

rgn

Post by rgn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:28 am

I think someone else already mentioned this, but it seems like it would be a good idea to have something on the floor that's unique on a per-tile basis (like the Maxwell preview). It's good to be able to see at a glance what variations in refraction and various other properties are doing to a material, and that's going to be easier when it's not just a sea of identical tiles (or no tiles at all) being reflected/refracted. It wouldn't be hard for people to change it themselves in the xml, obviously, but having it as the default seems like the way to go if we're planning on creating material preview libraries like the one radiance put together.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:23 pm

i realy like radiances, but i like novy's best because of the refaction on the internal things. It just seems like something is missng...

Regardless, nice job everyone :)
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

rgn

Post by rgn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:16 pm

I like noyb's as well, but I'd like to see a bigger version of it (with one of the transparent materials) and a tiled floor.

Maluminas: I'd also be interested to see your model with a material that shows whatever's inside (just a sphere, it looks like, so maybe it's not a big deal). The variety of surfaces and reflections is cool, but the number of lights in the current setup makes for a pretty busy image.

ThatDude: I like the idea, but the sphere that actually serves as the material preview doesn't feature very prominently in the image as a whole - like well under a quarter of the total image. Could you maybe shrink the "stand" a little bit (or even a lot) and make the sphere bigger (and add the indigo logo :wink:)? Also: something on the floor? I don't know. Just my two cents.

Everyone: one other thing to consider from the Maxwell material preview: the "Sub Surface Bar" is a nice way to have some sort of precise way of seeing how the underlying surface is showing through - this is only marginally interesting with smooth clear/colored glass materials, but it will become more relevant with bump mapping and other things that affect the surface texture of a transparent material. See fmell's ground glass material preview for a great example, or jomaga's wine bottle. Without some variation of detail on the underlying surface, there's really no way to see exactly what's going on.

Great job people. Keep up the good work.

IanC

Post by IanC » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:01 pm

I think noyb or radiance wins. They have plus points for each.

Noybs has the stuff through the middle which is good.
Radiances is cleaner and focuses more on the texture.

I'm having a play now :) great work everyone!

Oh, ThatDude33, love the setup, really love it. I don't think it works that well for a preview, but is great on its own. Can you share your file? I'd like to see how it was done.

Ian

Maluminas

Post by Maluminas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:26 am

I like the simplicity of Radiance's one, but its too simple, it has no thin part to show the effect of absorption and an eventual SSS. It doesnt have double sides to show reflection on a material interface under the surface.

nyob's one is really nice too, more complex, perhaps a bit too much. I like the empty space in the middle that will show absorption (but not SSS), but i think the framework of the globe hides the material too much.

Now let me crit my own submission :lol: The pedestal is not thin enough to show SSS, but the slope is ideal for absoption. I agree there are too many lights, i should remove some. Ill do a better version and post it here just for fun. The poll hasnt been reset anyway so maybe ill chose it to be my official entry.

arneoog
Indigo 100

Post by arneoog » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:26 am

Radiance, you have to add some bubles inside of the model...

geoadel

Post by geoadel » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:46 am

Despite that it might already be to late, I made another entry based on Radiance great scene :-)

Hm got carried away a bit, anyway - here it goes.
Sorry for the lousy quality, have to go in a second to a meeting,
so they did only have three minutes each for cooking.

The base blend-file can be downloaded here, not sure if all materials are included. Have to go :-)

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=S0VLFKU0

Edit:
Thought a bit about the text position:

Cheers :-)

I was away at the weekend so I could not have posted these earlier - I hope this is not impolite with the voting already started and such :oops:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:07 am

yep, you win radiance, I don't think much more will happen here...

But there still are some aspects of your Modell, that could be optimized,
like a to broad grey part, some bubbles (or what ever) for sss, and the ground tile (please not the logo!!1!)... but this was told before...
polygonmanufaktur.de

rgn

Post by rgn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:42 pm

radiance wrote:well,

what's going to happen ?
we have to choose...

i'd go with mine due to the high amount of votes.
C&C please ?

Radiance
Yours ought to be fine, assuming you'll make some of the relevant changes that people were asking for. The voting wasn't exactly even, given the latecomers, but I think your proposal is solidly among the handful of reasonable ones (again, with a few changes).

63 posts