Architectural Glass? Easy workaround?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 pm

OnoSendai wrote:Well... I'm not working on it right now, but if there's enough demand, I may do implement a 'single sided glass' material.
Mate just wondering have you got anywhere with this material yet?

Cheers, Richard.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 pm

No, not yet :)

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 am

Thanks for the reply mate!!!! :(

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue May 15, 2007 12:40 am

I'm open to implementing it, even though it's a bit dirty, if enough people want it :wink:

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 15, 2007 1:03 am

Ono

I'll be honest mate! I'm currently a fairly heavy Maxwell user! I know that's a fairly dirty word around here (well I imagine anyway).

The reason for mentioning this is that for external Architectural rendering the AGS (Architectural Glass Solution) had it not been developed may well have seen the failure of that application for that purpose due to the overwhelming render times experienced under real glass solutions.

So with that I would suggest many users who haven't experienced the time issues relative to real glass v's a single plane solution may not be able to put vote towards the later.

I found with early tests using maxwell that generally render times using the AGS were in the order of 10% of that required to get sufficient light into internal spaces using real glass.

Personally I had to battle hard with trial and error to create from the basic AGS materials shipped with maxwell to get one that works well with most external renderings. I'd be happy to forward you the MXM (Maxwell Material) should you consider it may assist in the development of similar results.

Cheers, Richard

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue May 15, 2007 4:11 am

Richard,
I did some testing with the earlier indigo versions (haven't had time to experiment a lot with the new though), but I had reasonable succes rendering with a double surfaced glass. The comparative interior test on pushpullbar I did earlier , was done using doubled surfaced glass. I think I had set the IOR to thin air (=1) . I don't know however how that would come out for exteriors.

But I second your opinion that a 'thin glas material' would be very useful for architectural scenes....Ono can have my vote for that.

cheers,
Kwistenbiebel

crc

Post by crc » Tue May 15, 2007 4:19 am

Hmm, maybe I don't understand, but I haven't had any problems with glass as long as it was a light thickness, I usually stay with 1/16" and set the glass preset. Here is an attached exterior, it certainly isn't that great of a render, but it shows the glass. is this what you guys are talking about, or are you trying a different effect, or.... I've also done some interiors with sunlight coming through the glass and haven't had any problems, other than the multiple day rendering times :shock:
Attachments
darthmouth.jpg
darthmouth.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 3290 times

manitwo

Post by manitwo » Tue May 15, 2007 4:36 am

:o great pic crc!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue May 15, 2007 4:37 am

Yeah, just needs some moonlit clouds :)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:43 am

Is that a hidden message, Ono? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Great pic and Ono is right ;)

crc

Post by crc » Tue May 15, 2007 4:47 am

thanks guys, it was mostly just a test, hadn't done a nighttime exterior scene.
Needs some stuff inside the building instead of just being a big hollow shell, but the lights coming out onto the brick turned out nice I thought, and the car lights also.
thanks again!

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 15, 2007 4:50 am

crc wrote:I've also done some interiors with sunlight coming through the glass and haven't had any problems, other than the multiple day rendering times :shock:
And my point is??????? (other than the multiple day rendering times)!

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 15, 2007 4:53 am

kwistenbiebel wrote:I think I had set the IOR to thin air (=1) . I don't know however how that would come out for exteriors.
I think you gave it away (thin air), I tried IOR = 1 and the windows are gone! though it certainly speeds up render times almost like they aren't there! :roll:

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 am

As said before, the NL people were FORCED to find a solution for the MR glass.. and i still have problems because everytime i have to tweak the settings for the glass..
Ono: if you implement it for Indigo, would it mean a BIG speed improvement or not? I am quite happy with the fast glass-setup of indigo..(but not with the rendering time..)

thank you!

Marcofly

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 15, 2007 5:17 am

Marcofly wrote:As said before, the NL people were FORCED to find a solution for the MR glass.. and i still have problems because everytime i have to tweak the settings for the glass..
Ono: if you implement it for Indigo, would it mean a BIG speed improvement or not? I am quite happy with the fast glass-setup of indigo..(but not with the rendering time..)

thank you!

Marcofly
I have done a quick test on thin glass for a water surface of a pool after two hours the sun started to get through. With Maxwell's AGS in the same situation I'd have had complete results in that time!

42 posts