is maxwell a better renderer?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
matsta

Post by matsta » Tue May 08, 2007 10:23 am

yea neepneep why is that XD lol. some weird ass reasoning is o follow i bet ;)
wait i actaully hope so to. if u think about it indigo and blender are a very very very nice open souorce "package", i thikn that is the way it should stay. hope maxwell doesnt start converting blender users. keep it open!

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Tue May 08, 2007 10:27 am

More fodder for the Indigo machine!

Since Maxwell is not available for Blender users to use, where else can they look for pretty renderings?

At least this is how I started using Indigo.

Olis

Post by Olis » Tue May 08, 2007 10:30 am

matsta wrote:yea neepneep why is that XD lol. some weird ass reasoning is o follow i bet ;)
wait i actaully hope so to. if u think about it indigo and blender are a very very very nice open souorce "package", i thikn that is the way it should stay. hope maxwell doesnt start converting blender users. keep it open!
I agree. Maxwell shouldn't steal indigo users, but what I meant was that for this thread, blender compability with maxwell would make reference images a whole lot easier to make.

matsta

Post by matsta » Tue May 08, 2007 10:36 am

yea good point guys. very good point. indigo forces users (if they want the best results) to makea switch to open source. even if not a full out switch the generated interest would go along way in the development of other open source software (and of course the further development of indigo and blender)

keep it coming guys
mat

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Tue May 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Olis wrote:...make reference images a whole lot easier to make.
Just export in obj-3ds-dxf. In obj-3ds Uv map is conserved.

m1j

Post by m1j » Wed May 09, 2007 1:33 am

I use Maxwell because It is currently easier for me. I use XSI Foundation 4.2 and lightwave to build my models and scenes then open them in Maxwell to do the rest. The Indigo exporter for XSI is not for my version and as of yet I have not seen an exporter for lightwave. Indigo is still new to me so it is more difficult to use. The scene structure is also changing so each new version requires something new to add to the learning curve. If indigo had a 3D GUI and material editor like Maxwell I would probably us it more. I like the fact I could, once I learn how, edit the scene as text. I like building a scene that references objects that I can continue to edit. In Maxwell I have to re-import the object and then redo all the materials each time I edit an object.

Indigo as a free renderer will become number one once it becomes easy to use. I would say rather than focus on exporters for each 3D program out there it would be better to focus on a 3D GUI with a collection of common 3D importers. 3DS and OBJ already but FBX, XSI and 3DM. These are all common and open standards.

My greatest thanks to OnoSendai for all his very hard work and dedication to produce something the rest of us get to use for free. It is and will be a great gift to 3D.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 09, 2007 5:37 am

Nuke fbx :x
obsolete asset

m1j

Post by m1j » Wed May 09, 2007 5:58 am

[quote="CTZn"]Nuke fbx :x[/quote]

Is there somthing wrong with the FBX format?

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am

Maxwell ended up not getting a sale to me, I was investigating it at the time, and inquired about Blender support.

Because retexturing and rematerialling a whole scene is fun.

Anyway, I consider it $1000 saved. No biggie.

matsta

Post by matsta » Wed May 09, 2007 7:31 am

as i said i think that for the quality output of both renderers there is really no contest, simply due to pricing, that indigo is the better renderer. perhaps the only difference at the moment is the kind of person using it. as we know maxwell aims for a more professional "sellable" market, people looking for something that renders well, but also i feel something that costs a "mentally justified" amount of money, by this i mean that people often think that buying a piece of software is the best option since, obviously, something that costs money cannot be beaten by something that is free. this way i think people spend money to make them feel like they have the best (something i have been witnessing very much lately). im not to sure weather or not indigo will take off with the "profesional" (i know we already have some semi-professionals using) and in some ways i hope it doesnt. let them wollow in their elitism. while we snigger in the background ;)

thanks guys
mat

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed May 09, 2007 7:53 am

professionalism doesnt mean elitism. and Maxwell has the advantages of full tech support, noob friendliness, commercial advertising, etc etc everything that a commercial renderer has that an indie renderer doesnt. and of course that comes at a price.

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Wed May 09, 2007 8:05 am

Yeah, don't rag on it just because it costs money.

I'm always willing to pay for great software, but lately, more and more open source (indigo excepted) software does exactly what I need. I don't use Blender because it's free - I use it because I like it better than 3dsmax or maya. Seriously!

And you can't beat being proficient in something that you can take to ANY employer.

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Wed May 09, 2007 8:28 am

zsouthboy
That I agree!!! Now more open source and free stuff gives you practically the same results as commercial stuff, and as I mentioned before in this thread, it really depends on quality of the artist.
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 am

indigo forces users (if they want the best results) to makea switch to open source
you act like all other exporters are crap...

shame on you!

/spam
Cindigo rulz :!:

:wink:

matsta

Post by matsta » Wed May 09, 2007 10:28 am

haha well. :P i think blender is indigo's flagship ;) no offence to other exporters.

79 posts