Background material disappearing. Memory problem?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
stackbabbler

Background material disappearing. Memory problem?

Post by stackbabbler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:27 am

I´m trying indigo as my first GPU renderer. I have a scene with a background material, two lights and a couple of trees/ground, which renders fine. When I add a bike to the scene the background material disappears and only the two lights remain. I´m guessing this is due to lack of memory? I have 16gb ram, but my GPU is a Sapphire Radeon R9 280X OC Dual-X 3gb. Would upgrading to a GTX 1070 8gb solve this problem? Is there some settings I should change?

Thanks!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Background material disappearing. Memory problem?

Post by Oscar J » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:16 am

That doesn't sound like a memory issue to me, it would simply not render it that was the case. What tone mapping are you using? Reinhard? :)

Check if there's still a texture in the environment slot in the material editor. If you don't manage to solve the problem you could upload screenshots or the scene itself so we can look at it.

stackbabbler

Post by stackbabbler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:45 am

Oscar J wrote:That doesn't sound like a memory issue to me, it would simply not render it that was the case. What tone mapping are you using? Reinhard? :)

Check if there's still a texture in the environment slot in the material editor. If you don't manage to solve the problem you could upload screenshots or the scene itself so we can look at it.
Thanks for quick response, it's a shame if it isn't the GPU as I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade it.
Indigo_Error_16des1737.jpg
Here's the exact same scene only difference being if I enable the bike null or not. The bike is somewhere from the C4D library. The texture is in the material editor in both of the scenes. Tone-mapping is "Camera", but I've tried Linear and Reinhard to no avail. I think this is the same problem I've been having since I started using Indigo a couple of days ago, lights keep disappearing. This is the only time I've managed to recreate the problem.

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:13 am

I don't think the *magical bike is the issue..BUT did you convert your materials after pulling it straight into the scene from the c4d library?

Also multiple light layers i think are still not supported for the GPU via Cindigo (the exporter for c4d).
Please make a test with 1 light layer and have the background texture also on that light layer.
If nothing helps please upload the scene maybe i can take look.

stackbabbler

Post by stackbabbler » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:37 am

Here's two *igs-scenes. One with the bike, and one without. I moved all lights to "Layer 1", and removed the other light layers. The bike materials are C4D materials, but I also tried deleting all materials except the lights and the problem still occurred.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gPw ... WlHa2w2a1E

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:54 am

Hi, you need to save your scenes as .pigs (packed indigo scene) for other people to open it. If you re-upload I can have a look. :)

Looks like you're using good old 3.8 by the way (GPU acceleration and not pure GPU rendering).

stackbabbler

Post by stackbabbler » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:49 am

Oscar J wrote:Hi, you need to save your scenes as .pigs (packed indigo scene) for other people to open it. If you re-upload I can have a look. :)

Looks like you're using good old 3.8 by the way (GPU acceleration and not pure GPU rendering).

Oh, here's a *.pigs of the scene with the bike.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gPw ... S04TnY0MWc

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:14 am

stackbabbler wrote:
Oh, here's a *.pigs of the scene with the bike.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gPw ... S04TnY0MWc
Hi stackbabbler. Would you mind sharing a c4d file?
Would be nice to have a look @ the c4d settings...i'm on c4d too.

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 am

You can go with the scene if you reset the values of scale (of the map) and the gain of the layer ( from 15 to 1 and from 6 to 1 respectively). Works OK too if you choose RGB or Uniform instead of Temperature in the base emission layer.
Which Cindigo version are you using?
Can´t reproduce the bug of the scene here, all works right.
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

stackbabbler

Post by stackbabbler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 am

Sorry for forgetting to respond to this thread, but everything solved itself after upgrading to 4.x (I might have done some other changes as well, but I do not recall). Thanks for the help anyway!

10 posts • Page 1 of 1