[REQ] IGQ optimiziations for animation

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

[REQ] IGQ optimiziations for animation

Post by zeitmeister » Tue May 10, 2016 11:57 pm

Hey guys,
I think that the *.igq format needs several improvements, especially for animations.

It would make sense if not only halt spp or -time is configurable for all igs frames of that queue, but also all imaging parameters.
Like tonemapping settings, supersampling values and all parameters which are currently in the "Imaging" tab.
Once exported all *.igs-files, with these parameters in the *.igq you would be able to re-render the whole animation how you need it.

Additional exporter options should be accessable there, too:
- vignetting
- motion blur (regard/disregard multiple "<keyframe>"-values in the *.igs-files or only the first one

Plus: background settings could and should be listed and modifyable, too. Easily change your IBL HDR texture, rotate it and change the gamma value of it, or switching completely to sunsky...
if not animated.
An "override"-checkbox could be the way.

Imho that does definately make sense and should find it's way into the igq file format options.
I think we could eaysily improve Indigo for animations.

What do you think about that?
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: [REQ] IGQ optimiziations for animation

Post by Oscar J » Tue May 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Good ideas zeit! :)

You may already be aware of it, but at least the halt conditions can be set for several or all frames at once by shift selecting them in the Render Queue window. Definitely agree about the other things though. 8)

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Wed May 11, 2016 4:46 am

+1

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Wed May 11, 2016 5:11 am

Hi

I think I can say that the current implementation of Indigo for animations is reductive except for short movie with rotating or moving objects or camera.
Since the movement does not lead the eye to see inaccuracies also the rendering mode may be less precise: biased?
Mac Mini 2011 - 2,3 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mb.
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

https://www.behance.net/Paolo_Conti

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 am

Indigo has been mostly for stills so far, but with fast GPU rendering it's becoming much more relevant for animations, so it could definitely use some improvements in that department.

These are the features we have to play with so far:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... -animation
Last edited by Oscar J on Wed May 11, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 11, 2016 5:57 am

contegufo wrote:I think I can say that the current implementation of Indigo for animations is reductive except for short movie with rotating or moving objects or camera.
Since the movement does not lead the eye to see inaccuracies also the rendering mode may be less precise: biased?
In your case I would rather invest in some proper hardware, the only thing reductive is your slow Mac Mini here :P
If you want to get faster rendering with such ancient hardware then unbiased rendering is not the right road to follow...
polygonmanufaktur.de

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Wed May 11, 2016 6:55 am

Hi

It is not a matter of hardware but of ideas and skills, move a camera in a creative way is anything but easy!
20 years ago I made an animation with glasses dancing and sent to the contest in 36 floppy disks all done with a Mac Quadra 950 33Mh!
It took a couple of days in PAL format, the time machine has always been there.
Last edited by contegufo on Fri May 13, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 am

You donging my argument and contradict yourself.
If "idea and skill" is the only thing and Hardware doesn't matter, then why do you request faster and biased rendering?
Your hardware is limiting your creativity and tightens the room for ideas and awesome concepts.
If not, why then faster rendering???!

An 3 years old (!!!) 4770K overclocked to 4.2 Ghz outperforms your CPU massively and brings is regarding the pure Ghz 3,65 times faster totally ignoring speedup based on newer Architecture... And don't let me start with GPU rendering.

You can't Buy a Ferrari (unbiased rendering) and then cry about the fuel you need to run it (CPU time you need to invest).
polygonmanufaktur.de

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 11, 2016 7:37 am

Oh, and I absolutely forgot to mention:

If you want some bias in your rendering and way less noise, the you should check out what a temporal denoiser can archive:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 06#p127606
polygonmanufaktur.de

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Wed May 11, 2016 11:45 am

Hi

The machine is used to speed up the ideas but if these are not or are mediocre have great hardware is almost useless. The system implemented by Indigo for animations forces you to many frames of which previously occurred sampling and then decide the stop. This way it works but if I have to create different shots and camera movements can be with a well-league team and other poorly sampled groups. That's why I called on as an option a biased approach. VRay which is commonly considered biased can activate Unbiased possibilities. Then it is up to the author to decide, but it would be important to have alternatives. We'll see if with GPU rendering flourish on YouTube animations that today are so few.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 13, 2016 7:46 am

I'm going to add my grain of salt now, because that discussion could last forever. It lasted for about 5 years already , ie: what's to distribute between the exporters and the main rendering engine as far as features go.

3D applications that support scripting/exporters (exporters can do everything, depending on the data developers can catch from the host application) are (could be) able to manage several cameras for one render sequence. Maya has such a user script posted somewhere.

I may be wrong here, but ideally Glare Tech would want the rendering happening within the host app whenever possible, using Indigo API aware intermediates. The rest is very much extra, as far as I think the inclination from the company might be.

Feel free to correct me !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 am

PS: I think that your requests are totally making sense zeiti, although by animating the visibility of objects I can render very different scenes from the exported sequence. ie you are asking for a new option that would specify that the IGQ is an animation sequence and not a simple render batch, or assume that only animations sequences will be rendered using IGQ, wich for an assumption is a fair one I guess.

Just, blah :)

pps: uh yes, I can animate (keyframe) exporters options. That's Maya.
obsolete asset

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Another little issue:
When rendering large animations (100+ frames, igs filesizes 600MB+), an option to purge Client Network Cache after frame is rendered would be cool for slaves with low harddisc space.

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon May 23, 2016 9:02 pm

zeitmeister wrote:Another little issue:
When rendering large animations (100+ frames, igs filesizes 600MB+), an option to purge Client Network Cache after frame is rendered would be cool for slaves with low harddisc space.

Cheers, zeiti
:shock: What kind of cool stuff are you working on? :D

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Don't ask... hopefully it will work in general. :-(
Aktually coding another render manager where each slave is rendering a single frame of the IGQ...

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

·

15 posts • Page 1 of 1