1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: WIPs: CTZn

Post by Pibuz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 am

Your IMG pic should be renamed in OMG... :shock:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:24 am

you can make it yourself at home pibuz, high scattering with strong absorbtion and seven years of rendering in a post-industrial environment ;)

Yeah I was glad I figured how to remove the fans in order to clean that mess, it was an easy though quite toxic operation.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:11 am

New environmental lighting scheme for your scenes !

(render in progress)
Attachments
newNukeCompo.jpg
updated at 4h15 render time, final: I need the ressources to go further !
Ignored T°<300K, peaking at about 15,000K. Tipping height: ~110m.
294,781 spheres, among wich 262,132 emitting each from their own specular material (ior 1.0, scattering and absorbtion being based on voxel density).
Last edited by CTZn on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
obsolete asset

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:17 am

Holy crap, render time?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:24 am

About one hour, +23mn now.
Indigo took 1mn40 to initialize and start rendering.
bidir+MLT.

By setting the minimum temperature limit to 450°K, init time should be substantially faster.

I have not exported the full sequence yet (120 frames), but I'll fine-tune densities here and share the scene.

If one knows that the sequence can be rendered with local means, let me know and I'll provide. Not for commercial purposes though :)
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:52 am

Actually I'm thinking of a mini-contest, where users would be prompted to insert the effect into their own scene (even pre-existing ones for the sake of it !).

Let's name it "Nuke Test: Escape from your Scene" 8)
obsolete asset

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Wait, what....just happened there? I want to know the mechanics behind this scene, was it simulated somewhere, how...I am speechless, excellent.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Yes I owe a little explication: the setup is a Maya fluid example, essentially simulated but comes with a bit of rigging (one smoke emitter moving up I think, annoying effect btw it's obstructing). So mainly Autodesk's genius (Alias rather), with a scripted twist for Indigo.

No overnight render because I broke the script and was tired. I tried weird scripting gymnastics while the culprit was a typo; until then I genuinely believed that absorbtion was a word :mrgreen:

PS: I can generate files that My computer can not render as I have "only" 8GB of RAM onboard. Next renders will feature PT and no dang traced diffraction.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:41 am

Not as impressive but still illustrative (cropped images). Please note that each of the three components is expressed within the same specular material for one given sphere; there is never more than one sphere by voxel in the global render. I'm sorry about the lighting setup, this is more of a tech demo :oops:

I fixed a few bugs, no more rogue dark banding.
Attachments
newFluid_ABSORPTION.jpg
Absorption (heat, scattering == 0).
newFluid_HEAT.jpg
Heat (absorption, scattering == 0)
newFluid_SCATTERING.jpg
Scattering (heat, absoption == 0)
newFluid_.jpg
Heat, absorption and scattering are written for each specular material (medium). There is one material per sphere, one sphere per voxel..
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:32 am

Once again with a quasi-render, equivalent to a supersampling of 4 accounting for the framebuffer, with a little blurring in-between.
Nuke tamed.jpg
Nearly the actual pic resolution, sorry !
About 16h, original 1280x1024@ss2, moving to the next step !
I did two things that greatly improved performances for a better trade-off.

First I introduced clamping for the output temperature; hotter spheres will be forced down to a maximum temperature. This avoids small clumps, if not individual spheres emitting outstandingly bright (hot) spots. Rendering such extreme effects becomes comfortable.

Then I left jittering alone, with for effect a muuuch faster initialisation from Indigo due to no intersecting mediums being reported.

(I'm wondering how much just printing such each event for massive sets can be the time hog here, devs ? If it happens once, it just needs a one line output. If it happens more, knowing the event count is what matters, not to have each single one reported.)

The effect is that each sphere is now stuck at the center of its voxel, instead of having it moved randomly within its former space's radius. This comes at a visual cost, but then it's a matter of balance between voxel size, RAM and the final resolution (OT: spotted three-body problem, add time for a fourth dimension !).

I can think of a number of things to enhance the tool, it has been a long time since I enjoyed myself with scripting...

If I ever render a sequence myself, this is the MAXIMUM resolution !

PS: I may drop the mass destruction theme soon, as I can tell it's not your type of humour.
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:02 am

CTZn wrote: (I'm wondering how much just printing such each event for massive sets can be the time hog here, devs ? If it happens once, it just needs a one line output. If it happens more, knowing the event count is what matters, not to have each single one reported.)
Looking good!
Printing can be somewhat slow. What exactly is the printed message?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:52 am

Exactly:
Warning: Light 'RaySphere' contained in more than one medium, forcing empty/vacuum medium.
About 5 times per sphere estimated can make a huge printing job (exported 2.5 millions spheres yesterday, killed Indigo after hours initializing) !

Thanks !

On a side note, without jittering centers each sphere is still interecting with 6 other spheres (and as many different media), and the message does not appear...
obsolete asset

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:10 am

Spectacular...
Another fan of "proceduralism", you know.
Maybe the next week I can start to help you with this shots ...
I will have time to render it because I´m actualy starting studies of art and there are lessons all day.
We talk about when the machine arrives, I will sent to you a mail.
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm open for collaboration, I'm just talking more than I'm doing I guess. It's all in the head :)

One trick I figured out that I wanted to share (the pic is almost 11 months old already !):
Canyons 3 - identical vs black albedo beneath.gif
One version of the displaced terrain shader is forcing a black color to the negative side, and you can tell wich in this animated gif. The bright image has got the same albedo in both directions. This is a quick hack for an ambient lighting control.

edit: bottom line: displaced terrains are best "enclosed", ie applying the terrain shader only to the top face of a flattened cube. Don't forget to use some angle based optimization so to have the cube adding 5 faces only to the figure.
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 am

CTZn wrote:Once again with a quasi-render, equivalent to a supersampling of 4 accounting for the framebuffer, with a little blurring in-between.
Nuke tamed.jpg
I did two things that greatly improved performances for a better trade-off.

First I introduced clamping for the output temperature; hotter spheres will be forced down to a maximum temperature. This avoids small clumps, if not individual spheres emitting outstandingly bright (hot) spots. Rendering such extreme effects becomes comfortable.

Then I left jittering alone, with for effect a muuuch faster initialisation from Indigo due to no intersecting mediums being reported.

(I'm wondering how much just printing such each event for massive sets can be the time hog here, devs ? If it happens once, it just needs a one line output. If it happens more, knowing the event count is what matters, not to have each single one reported.)

The effect is that each sphere is now stuck at the center of its voxel, instead of having it moved randomly within its former space's radius. This comes at a visual cost, but then it's a matter of balance between voxel size, RAM and the final resolution (OT: spotted three-body problem, add time for a fourth dimension !).

I can think of a number of things to enhance the tool, it has been a long time since I enjoyed myself with scripting...

If I ever render a sequence myself, this is the MAXIMUM resolution !

PS: I may drop the mass destruction theme soon, as I can tell it's not your type of humour.
I believe I can nuke... everybody... I believe I can nuke away! :D Beautiful!!

312 posts