higher resolution and downscale or stick with 1080?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
Jelko

higher resolution and downscale or stick with 1080?

Post by Jelko » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm rendering a sketchup model in RT all night tonight - I've never done an overnight render before..

Is it better to render in 4000 x 4000 and scale what I want to 1920 x 1080?
Or just render it in 1080 from the getgo?

assuming the rendering time will be the same either way

(last question for awhile, I promise)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: higher resolution and downscale or stick with 1080?

Post by Oscar J » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Both work. You have better control over sharpness if you downscale, and denoising in post is also better to do in highres then downscale.

Render in high res and downscale is essentially what Indigo does when using supersampling, so you may either let indigo do that for you, or do it yourself.:)

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:15 am

good advice, thanks!

I found out my first dislike with windows 10 - forced restart if you don't postpone in their time frame - NOT GOOD FOR OVERNIGHT RENDERING..
I had to set my wifi connection as metered so it wouldn't auto restart

and I guess I wouldn't actually call it an overnight render since it was only 6hrs.. but since I'm not skilled enough to use indigo materials this is what I ended up with
Attachments
cryo chamber.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:02 am

That looks really great already!

As you said, some of the materials could use some work - bump/specular maps in particular.

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:13 am

Oscar J wrote:That looks really great already!

As you said, some of the materials could use some work - bump/specular maps in particular.
Thanks! I will look into those right now. I didn't know what an exit portal was until yesterday and that's helped a ton already.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Jelko, dober pocitek je pol dela! :)

Keep it up, and browse through material library, to get a feel how materials work. Bubs has some awesome material systems in there, and there are some great metal mats too!

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 am

thesquirell wrote:Jelko, dober pocitek je pol dela! :)

Keep it up, and browse through material library, to get a feel how materials work. Bubs has some awesome material systems in there, and there are some great metal mats too!
oh I'm gonna keep it up alright.. the only reason I didn't start messing with the material system yes was because I needed something rendered the day I bought indigo RT.. which was Tuesday - so I'll be back next year to post some progress :P

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:27 am

Very nice tone and lighting Jelko! It reminds me very much of something I'm tinkering with myself just at the minute! Materials do need work, but you know that anyway!
Oh, and plenty more people than me have added great materials to the MatDB! :lol: but thanks for the shout thesquirell!

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 am

bubs wrote:Very nice tone and lighting Jelko! It reminds me very much of something I'm tinkering with myself just at the minute! Materials do need work, but you know that anyway!
Oh, and plenty more people than me have added great materials to the MatDB! :lol: but thanks for the shout thesquirell!
thanks it was for a little competition I entered.. even though there are better modelers entering it than me.. they all seemed skillful yet unoriginal - Where I was modeling for more of a tone(as you mentioned) and mood to make up for lack of skill :D

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:40 am

I like it! With some work in the materials, it would be an awesome scene! But what about the fallen table? Looks like gravity is a little off...

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 am

Polinalkrimizei wrote:I like it! With some work in the materials, it would be an awesome scene! But what about the fallen table? Looks like gravity is a little off...
took me awhile to realize what you said... i see now. and it's a stool. I guess I should have rotated that so two legs and the seat were touching the ground :(

i did have to go to perception classes in grade school haha

11 posts • Page 1 of 1