Known issue ? Blend material and architectural glass

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
h2o2
3D Software: Blender

Known issue ? Blend material and architectural glass

Post by h2o2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 am

Hi.

I don't know if it's a known issue or even a know limitation as of now but as i was trying to do a believable dirty glass shader i thought i would try to blend an architectural, single faced glass material with a simple diffuse material.

But it seems that, although i have no problem mixing those 2 together, there is no transparent shadow anymore, making this combination a "no-go", unfortunately. :(

So perhaps am i late to the plate (more than probably) but if it wasn't discovered already i hope this little explanation, as well as an image demonstrating the problem and the scene file to go with it, will help squash this annoying behavior, if it's possible of course. :)

Thanks for reading,
Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)
Attachments
Blend_Glass_Problem.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
Glass_Problem_Explained.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Re: Known issue ? Blend material and architectural glass

Post by Oscar J » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Very strange. Should work fine with normal arch glass though.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Hey there Laurent, and welcome!

I was having the same problems when I was trying to create an irregular glass, exactly with this type of material, the blended one. Tried everything, actually, but the only solution was the one I did in this topic (double mesh system). Read it up, and ask whatever comes to your mind:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=13591

Take care!

h2o2

Post by h2o2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:58 pm

thesquirell wrote:Hey there Laurent, and welcome!

I was having the same problems when I was trying to create an irregular glass, exactly with this type of material, the blended one. Tried everything, actually, but the only solution was the one I did in this topic (double mesh system). Read it up, and ask whatever comes to your mind:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=13591

Take care!
Wow, thanks a lot, that will do the trick ! 8)
And you're right in your thread, it's "only" mimicking what happens in real life, finally.
We should always be confident in Indigo to mimic as much as possible the real life behavior, that's a lesson to learn ! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm

You are welcome! If you encounter any more trouble, just ask away! Guys here are awesome. And if you manage to solve problems, using experiments, feel free to share your opinion on them.

In future, just set up your scenes, objects, materials as close to real life, and Indigo will do the rest. For example, besides Indigo, I have never met a render engine that creates anisotropy effect based solely on the surface of an object. All others, even Maxwell, cheat that effect by using sliders, angle rotations, etc., but only Indigo renders is it like real life. This is just a sign that in Indigo, every surface is rendered based on it's property, without having to "cheat" anything!

Take a look at this example: Just a simple sphere, phong material, aluminum nk data, exponent around 30, bump map 0.00008m, lots of repetition of the bump texture...BAM! Anisotropy. In every other render engine when I tried the same, it just gave me the same surface, without anisotropy, meaning that the others do not consider the actual surface of the model, rather they lean onto their code to "cheat" this sort of effect, which then again means that Indigo is the most accurate unbiased render engine, atm.

Have fun using it! :D

h2o2

Post by h2o2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 am

Thanks again ! :)

In fact i'm using Indigo (RT only for now but i think that it's now the time to go with the "full" Indigo, i hope to upgrade soon !) since a long time now, only that i have been using it sparsely unfortunately, mostly because my previous machines weren't really suited for the great render engine.

But now that i have (finally !) a big machine to render my scenes i'm a happy camper. :)
And i've only been scratching the surface until now so i'm sure it'll be even better with time !

And, by the way, your trick worked perfectly, now i will be able to show the "real" image behind my question.
Waiting for it, here is the new test with your trick !

Cheers,
Attachments
Glass_Test_03.jpg

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:22 am

Awesome! I'm sure it'll be worth every penny! Hope to see Indigo in a larger studio someday, where I could go in and say, hey I am working in Indigo, and they are all like, aaah yes, we are using it too, instead of looking at me like I fell from some different planet. If you decide to use a coating over your dirt mesh, don't forget to blend that coat with null for some transparency too! If you ever decide to do a rainbow effect on a glass, that is. Looking forward seeing your work!

h2o2

Post by h2o2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:13 am

thesquirell wrote:Awesome! I'm sure it'll be worth every penny! Hope to see Indigo in a larger studio someday, where I could go in and say, hey I am working in Indigo, and they are all like, aaah yes, we are using it too, instead of looking at me like I fell from some different planet. If you decide to use a coating over your dirt mesh, don't forget to blend that coat with null for some transparency too! If you ever decide to do a rainbow effect on a glass, that is. Looking forward seeing your work!
You can see the first result of your really helpful posts here :
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=13656

:mrgreen:

Thanks again,
Cheers,

8 posts • Page 1 of 1