Oscar's rendering thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Oscar's rendering thread

Post by Oscar J » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks! This is a variant of Ono's/Nick's carpaint, but I've tweaked some things like coating roughness, flake size and absorption to fit my scene.

Ono's paint:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1322

In this new image below, I have introduced what's commonly known as "orange peel", a slight bump structure to the clear coat layer.

To do this, I used an fbm noise bump shader, with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

def eval() real :
fbm(posOS() * 50.0, 2) * 0.00001
Attachments
flakes orange peel srgb.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:44 am

Still, this carpaint definitely needs some further tweaking though. Working on it - smaller flakes, and less "roughness" in the metallic flake shader, so that there are less firefly-looking bright red flakes towards the darker area.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 am

Hell yes! This is the ultimate carpaint *floating around in ecstasy*. :lol:

Excellent, subtle looking flakes + orange peel! Creds to Nick for building the foundation of this.
Attachments
flakes superb.jpg

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:23 am

It's incredible. So real, that I can't even....can someone explain this material in detail, from the physics/computer point of view, what is going on here? These types of material should be in a some sort of a material wizard, there's some serious coding in there! :D

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:23 am

Check it out for yourself, it's up on the material database: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1390

It's a fairly crazy material and I'm not a 100 % sure of all the details in there myself, but I'll try to explain:

There's one material called "base". This material is a simple neutral specular phong with Exponent @ 60.

Then there's another material called "flakes". This is also a neutrally coloured specular material, but with exponent value 100000. In the Normal Map slot of this material, there are 10 lines of code with seemingly random values that Ono must have tested his way to. The first line contains scale - probably the scale of the random normal map noise the rest of the code describes. The second one, alpha2 controls the roughness, and I found that a lower value in this parameter gives you more subtle flakes more concentrated to the highlight area, not appearing randomly in the other parts of the paint.

The material speckled carpaint substrate is a blend between these two materials. The blend map is also a script, with a more simple gridnoise function controlling the blend. The blend doesn't have any greys, because the line "if r > 0.7 then 1.0 else 0.0" means that the parts of the grid noise with brightness value over 0.7 gets brightness 1.0, and the parts of the grid noise with brightness less than 0.7 gets brightness 0. So every part of this blended substrate is either the material "base" OR the material "flakes".

On top of all this is a coating. This has IOR 1.6, thickness 1000 (micrometers?) and coloured absorption. The colour that you use for this absorption is what you use to set the colour for the whole carpaint. A cyan colour gave me this red carpaint for example.

What I also added to this coating is a small scale and amplitude fbm noise in the bump slot of the coating. This gives a nice organic orange peel effect to the clear coat, some imperfection.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Oh this is sooo nice... I definately want this material as a complete Indigo- / cindigo material for easy editing and use; encapsuled in a way. Base color, flake color, flake intensity, flake size, coating parameters, bump parameters.
And finished.
Awesome work, Oscar!

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:22 pm

zeitmeister wrote:Oh this is sooo nice... I definately want this material as a complete Indigo- / cindigo material for easy editing and use; encapsuled in a way. Base color, flake color, flake intensity, flake size, coating parameters, bump parameters.
Cheers, zeiti
:shock: This is a great idea! Indigo Car Paint, either as an own material type, or perhaps a "sub-material" to phong.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Something like this already exists in other render engines, like Maxwell for example. A material wizard which is a generalized material editor, adapted for certain types of objects, such as cars, cloths, etc. Would be really nice if Indigo devs would actually adapt that style, and offer us a material wizard which would encapsulate all those nice codes they have written in ISL, so those non-coding users would have a chance of using them. I think it would greatly contribute to Indigo's popularity!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:44 am

Oscar J wrote:Hell yes! This is the ultimate carpaint *floating around in ecstasy*. :lol:

Excellent, subtle looking flakes + orange peel! Creds to Nick for building the foundation of this.
Very sexy!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:20 am

:) Some more sexy:

metallic 3.jpg
carpaint 2.jpg
metallic 5.jpg
metallic 4 s.jpg
Last edited by Oscar J on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 am

Pure sexiness.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:53 am

A little collage. :D

This is the first time that I've felt that my own work is pretty much photorealistic. A bit of a breakthrough for me. And these were just supposed to be tests. :)
Attachments
Carbon carpaint collage.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:29 am

Oscar J wrote:A little collage. :D

This is the first time that I've felt that my own work is pretty much photorealistic. A bit of a breakthrough for me. And these were just supposed to be tests. :)
Whaaaaat ?
Shaking my head in disbelieve. Your car renderings have reached an almost unearthly quality in terms of....everything.
Modeling, scene setup, lighting, materials etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:43 am

Headroom wrote:
Oscar J wrote:A little collage. :D

Whaaaaat ?
Shaking my head in disbelieve. Your car renderings have reached an almost unearthly quality in terms of....everything.
Modeling, scene setup, lighting, materials etc.
Hey now! Your rocking chair scene has been one of my major benchmarks for years, when it comes to those exact areas (scene setup, lighting, materials, composition). :)

So thanks for that, and for your comment!

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:40 am

These are great Oscar... really very good.
I do think the specular highlights in the paint are still a little bit dull compared to the pure white reflective flecks you see in photographs of metallic paint, but the orange peel looks amazing! 8)

852 posts