Really pure GPU rendering due to slow CPU

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Re: Really pure GPU rendering due to slow CPU

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 pm

This is very cool, Ono!

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 am

doreamon wrote:How will this affect the RT product? Discontinued? Features updated?
Indigo RT will continue to exist, and will (per current plans) have pure GPU rendering as well. However, some of Indigo 4's new features might be full Indigo Renderer version only, in line with our current (roughly speaking) "hobbyist versus industry professional" dividing line.

doreamon

Post by doreamon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 pm

lycium wrote:
doreamon wrote:How will this affect the RT product? Discontinued? Features updated?
Indigo RT will continue to exist, and will (per current plans) have pure GPU rendering as well. However, some of Indigo 4's new features might be full Indigo Renderer version only, in line with our current (roughly speaking) "hobbyist versus industry professional" dividing line.
I see. Hopefully there's some bonus for new RT users as well. I just bought RT a week ago. :D

Can the Indigo devs help Reallusion to improve the export? I just exported a simple animation and it turned out 12 gigs. The textures are duplicated every frame. http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=13462

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:40 am

What information has been shared to date about the upcoming Pure GPU rendering? Personally I'd like to know if any of the more advanced render methods like bidirectional and MLT options will be available or if they are even possible to do on a gpu.

Also on the technical side it would be nice to whether the Pure GPU rendering will use single precision, double precision floating point calculations or both. Knowing this can help Indigo users looking to update/upgrade now or in the near future know what to look for. I hear Nvidia's latest $1k gaming/consumer card is a beast at single precision but is lacking in double precision (it was 1/32nd I think).

Thank you, Ono, in advance for anything new you can share.

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:24 am

Currently we only use single precision for GPU rendering, so there is no benefit to Titan cards with double precision. Conversely, the new Titan X should be really amazing for Indigo given what we've seen of the GTX 980 (in spite of its lacking the double precision hardware)!

Bidir and MLT are possible to do on GPU, however even single-directional path tracing has room for improvements that make it very capable, and serves as a good reference implementation which we'll release first.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:14 am

lycium wrote:Currently we only use single precision for GPU rendering, so there is no benefit to Titan cards with double precision. Conversely, the new Titan X should be really amazing for Indigo given what we've seen of the GTX 980 (in spite of its lacking the double precision hardware)!

Bidir and MLT are possible to do on GPU, however even single-directional path tracing has room for improvements that make it very capable, and serves as a good reference implementation which we'll release first.
Exciting! Are there still hopes for a Q1 2015 beta release? :roll:

DJ AntOn

Post by DJ AntOn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 pm

We want Bidir+MLT on GPU

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 am

DJ AntOn wrote:We want Bidir+MLT on GPU
Yes we do sir! 8)

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:10 am

So I have not experimented with gpu rendering because my build isn't done yet. I've only rendered with a 3rd generation i3.

I am undecided on a gpu and the cpu is a 5820k

Those opencl renders look amazing for a couple minutes... would an r9 290x work well with this? or is a gtx 980 significantly better than what was demonstrated at the beginning of this thread? titan is way out of budget

I wasn't even considering an amd gpu until I read that octane render(AND INDIGO) will be releasing the next version compatible with opencl. And most stuff I currently use works with cpu... so I am personally unbiased.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 am

Jelko wrote:So I have not experimented with gpu rendering because my build isn't done yet. I've only rendered with a 3rd generation i3.

I am undecided on a gpu and the cpu is a 5820k

Those opencl renders look amazing for a couple minutes... would an r9 290x work well with this? or is a gtx 980 significantly better than what was demonstrated at the beginning of this thread? titan is way out of budget

I wasn't even considering an amd gpu until I read that octane render(AND INDIGO) will be releasing the next version compatible with opencl. And most stuff I currently use works with cpu... so I am personally unbiased.
If one gig of memory enough for you, go with the 980. If it isn't, go with the R9 290X, and get 4 or 8 GB. Or wait for AMD's new lineup of graphics.

Edit: scratch that, read lyciums post below.
Last edited by Oscar J on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:38 am

A quick update about the memory allocation by the way: it's possible to work around the (single) allocation limit and use up to all the GPU's memory, at least in theory. So Nvidia cards are definitely in the running :)

Over the course of this week I'd like to do some AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel benchmarks and report the findings, as there have been some quite major changes to the rendering kernels since the last set of measurements. Unfortunately I don't have the GTX 980 anymore, so we'll have to look for a replacement high-end Nvidia card (eg. GTX 970) to test.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 am

Wow, great news lycium! I'll just go ahead and stop talking about stuff I I don'thave a clue about. :)

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:57 am

Wow, thank you both. I will be following this thread and probably all threads at the edge of my seat :D

My budget right now is 'around' $400 for a gpu
I was looking at an 8gb version of the 290x... And if the 970 does well, I have no problem picking up 1 of those with the idea of getting another 1 later on. I don't game at all so as long as things are compatible I'm okay with whatever works very well :)

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 am

Hopefully I won't be eating my words in a few days, but I highly doubt you can go wrong with an 8GB R9 290x :) The only way you're going to have more memory and rendering power is with a Titan X, which is ridiculously expensive. Ask kklors :D

Oh, and Nvidia also finally joined the OpenCL 1.2 party, so all the workarounds needed before are now gone. It'll be really interesting when they support OpenCL 2.0, because that has unified memory support, meaning (in theory) no more hard GPU memory limits.

Jelko

Post by Jelko » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:23 am

lycium wrote:Hopefully I won't be eating my words in a few days, but I highly doubt you can go wrong with an 8GB R9 290x :) The only way you're going to have more memory and rendering power is with a Titan X, which is ridiculously expensive. Ask kklors :D

Oh, and Nvidia also finally joined the OpenCL 1.2 party, so all the workarounds needed before are now gone. It'll be really interesting when they support OpenCL 2.0, because that has unified memory support, meaning (in theory) no more hard GPU memory limits.
:mrgreen:

You don't have to eat your words even if they're wrong later on. To suggest it is enough for me.
I always read such terrible stories of the amd cards and often wonder how many of them are real..

Do you have brands you suggest? I have a """sparkle""" 4850 in my computer at home - I use to game on years ago. It did REALLY well back then.. but I don't have experience with them other than that.

I did look at xfx because their 8gb card matched my black and silver build and lifetime warranties are always nice. I saw better reviews on the sapphire, but its blue didn't match really.

I know I shouldn't care about aesthetics of a card so much, but I'm 30 and building my first computer :D

72 posts