Post by yonosoy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi. Out of the box.
Attachments
Five_Suns_studies_001_A.jpg
Five_Suns_studies_001_B.jpg
Five_Suns_studies_001_C.jpg
Five_Suns_studies_001_D.jpg
Five_Suns_studies_001_E.jpg
Last edited by yonosoy on Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

yonosoy

Re: A natural situation

Post by yonosoy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 am

In this second studie, the suns are disposed so near that the three in the middle (B,C,D) suffer interferencies.
Attachments
five_suns_studies_002_aº_of_eclipse_at_turbidity_five_A.jpg
five_suns_studies_002_aº_of_eclipse_at_turbidity_five_B.jpg
five_suns_studies_002_aº_of_eclipse_at_turbidity_five_C.jpg
five_suns_studies_002_aº_of_eclipse_at_turbidity_five_D.jpg
five_suns_studies_002_aº_of_eclipse_at_turbidity_five_E.jpg
Sun_trough_maximum_atmosphere.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

Wow, the last pic man!

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi, so many thanks Oscar, is very beautiful to work.
A closer aproximation.
This evening a serie with the earth_mesh in place (now cooking)...
Attachments
Sun_trough_atmosphere_over_the_oceans.jpg
Ecktachrome-400XCD

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am

Hi.
Well, is the first attempt. For the global simulation could be very useful invest some time in a research and retouch of the textures in a bigger scale... some mixing, hand painting, ...
Attachments
Suns_covering_90º_over_the_Earth.jpg

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:21 pm

And the other eclipse.
Attachments
moon's_eclipse_across_0.3º.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:44 am

Awesome stuff!

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Headroom, is a pleasure, so many thanks.
The research was very quick. The Space Engine project has giga textures of Earth, Moon and some planets.
Extract from home page:

Earth elevation map (landscape), lossless 16-bit png
High-resolution elevation map (landscape) for Earth. Replaces default jpeg textures with hi-precision 16-bit lossless png textures. Textures are based on SRTM data (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission), surface resolution is up to 300 meters per pixel.
Download: (2.59 GB)

The textures are cubemaps in 7 level of detailed puzzles (some work to make the textures able to indigo). This is the Moon with the level 2 of detail. Some things must be fixed, etc... but what a startpoint!!! :D. The third is with the textures from the last sesion, of common use because are easier to found and manage...
moon_in_houdini_1.jpg
moon_in_houdini_2.jpg
moon_in_houdini_3.jpg
And the moon textured with detail level 2 ... very beauty way to study. Just notice what must will be the Earth without the Moon (is a perfect "flycatcher" for meteorits and is because the Moon that life is possible in this Heaven ...).
moon_textured.jpg
Textures from Space Engine project ...
Just realizing, there are tools to generate normal maps of this textures... cool !!! Must learn, believing that it could be done from inside houdini ...
A lot of thanks.

kklors

Post by kklors » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:45 am

Very nice man!

Would you explain or share the approach how you did the earth atmosphere? I currently work on a shot where the earth is in the background so I will most likely fake that atmosphere halo, but if it's not too intense to render I'd love to try it out.

Is the atmosphere sphere hollow? Is it a double sided?

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 am

Hi.
We don´t know how to give to all of you the News (all about laughts usually).
This is an example of a Universal setup that we are working on. The metaphysical knowledge of yoS-eidaN applied to indigo´s physics understanding ...
There are two aspects very important in this yet explained.

First, the light know how to travel in vaccum, atmosphere (material), ... but, how the light travel in an understandable/fake medium? Air medium has not a SSS component defined (in order to save effort of calculation) and an IOR of value 1.0 (because of comentaries... maybe wrong). This must be the first reason of noise, and in some situations the scene crash because of this (light MUST known as many information as possible in the complete path). When light comes from a medium without SSS definition and interact with a medium with the SSS component defined or vice versa there are a lot of problems of calculation (fireflies/not samples riched/crash/freezes/...). So, for this setup there is a "universal perfect vacuum" removing effectively the air medium (sometimes better than others).

The second important note is to avoid the perfect spheres. Is not possible for physics the calculation of an infinite element (sphere equation is God as explained previously). In the setup (still tunning it) is precise to "play" with the dimension of the icospheres and the level of subdivisions to cover the critical areas (the contact between the atmosphere and the oceans/landscape etc...)

As a third note (under investigation) materials could be improved if:
- the diffuse and the OrenNayar are the same material (a sigma of value=0 is a diffuse)
- a phong material of exponent=0 is a diffuse too
- same for specular and glossy (a glossy of exponent=infinite is a specular)
- all of they need precedence
und so weiter ...

So mixing the materials in order to achieve the maximum components of comprehension possible seems to be a good point ...

Finally, the order of extinct the light at the sea level (6378135 m) is not the best. Positive test removing with an inner atmosphere of perfect vacuum this zone (under investigation too).

As consequence of apply this, you can test that a water-earth (pure water real tabulated absorption, the SSS part of dirty water from material data base, real tabulated too, and of course the cauchy value) runs in a perfect speed without fireflies in SS 1(only some RGB that clean very fast).

(sorry OnoSendai, but since you are transporting the physics laws sooooo accurately, the tool don´t allow you to lie in any point). Please don´t be angry for this and just verify it).

SDS noise: if the diffuse is mixed with a specular that only gives to the material the meaning of precedence and a IOR=1 there seems to not be a firefly (if you avoid the air-medium, or just connect a uniform SSS=0). Every time that an incomprehension is found a firefly show up.

If this only works for this laboratory ... just call me the most crazy !!! (and nevermind) ...
Cheers!
Attachments
Universal_setup_example.pigs
(365.79 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Universal_setup_example.rar
C4D setup
(96.51 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

kklors

Post by kklors » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks a lot!

I understand your points. Funnily I never end up using perfect spheres in Cindigo, not only because I don't like perfect geometry, but also because with perfect spheres, spherical UVs freak out. So in this case you couldn't map an equirectangular earth texture. But didn't know it would affect light calculation as well.

I've looked into your setup and my tests were not that advanced. I only had an earth sphere and an atmosphere sphere and 1/4 the scene scale, without the inner atmosphere or a water plane. But I suffered the same problem with the atmopshere being solid/too thick without being able to look trough. In the attached 'atmo.jpg' I have a checkerboard on the earth sphere, but it doesn't show trough. Happens regardless with inner atmosphere turned on/off.

Second thing is probably me not getting it. Not that I remotely know what I am talking about : D
But the reason why I wanted to try the atmosphere is a) the blue halo, which can be faked however and b) because I though that light would scatter through the atmosphere to the other side where it's night on earth.
In the render it's pitch black where it's night. I just assume that the night side would also catch light from the surrounding stars and galaxies etc., but even from earth's ground perspective you would always have a bit of sun rest light in the atmosphere. Wouldn't you?
Here's an image from NASA. I understand that it's a montage and post processed, but generally that's currently the look I'm aiming for. It's definitely not a tonality/tonemapping issue as black in this particular case will stay black. I will try putting around stars just to see if the night side would catch light on the night side later. Maybe a lowres starmap hdr will be enough to lighten it up.
Attachments
atmo.jpg

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 am

could you just put the scene at scale? Is the Earth atmosphere modell... has the rigth scale and don't work in any other point. There is a little problem in C4D.
If you work with the scale in Km. (is the only way to see the scene) when the atmosphere is defined is precisely to feed the cm. scale; so the best way from cinema is to center the Earth in the point 0,0,0 and give to the atmosphere material the center value of 0,0,0.
Thanks in advance for the big scale of the atmosphere.

The Earth is more than 2 Km. under the oceans... Just test subacuatics... :)

About the lack of light in the nigth, probably the moon is not in place to reflect the sun's ligth and of course there is a lot of light becoming from universe... via code another year... a little bit.

kklors

Post by kklors » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 am

Hm sorry I'm not sure I understand. It's centered to 0,0,0 in both your scene and my tests.

I atteched your scene modified, with just the atmosphere and earth and a texture applied to the earth. I just don't understand why the atmosphere covers up everything.
Attachments
01.zip
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 309 times

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 am

Hi kklors...
Just give to the earthsphere enough polygons. Look at the atachments and found a proper disposition of radius size and frequency of the icosaedro (there is necessary to balance the lack of effective traduction on polygons for the radius of earthsphere). And just realizing that a turbidity 5 the maximum, is still effective...
About your test, if you do the same and in a real scale works fine. If your scene is a 1/4 modelled... the atmosphere modell of indigo stops at 6378135m from the center defined in the atmosphere material. So not ligth there. If you dispossed a inneratmosphere with a perfect vacuum materilal there´s ligth (but distorted for the lack of atmosphere a bit.) :).
Thanks in advanced.
Attachments
Capture_for_a_texture_map.jpg

kklors

Post by kklors » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Aaah thank you, I get it now. Tricky shit, would have never figured out that scale vs. subdivision rules myself.

362 posts