Architectural Glass? Easy workaround?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Richard

Architectural Glass? Easy workaround?

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:56 am

First trip here guys so please bear with me, I have searched the main forum (not great at even searching for my car keys) and can't find an answer.

Is there any easy way to simulate or make glass for architectural windows in exterior renderings???

I'm having no luck. I know this was an issue with Maxwell and they came up with the architectural glass solution (AGS). I've tried a number of settings from the SU exporter but with no luck.

By the way congrats to the developer of this soft I love the way this soft exports the colour corrected textures from SU for rendering - this alone will make this app shine!!!!! Now if my glass could!

Richard

BTW hey there Kwisten - thanks for the heads up on INDIGO!

ryo

Post by ryo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am

well, Richard...
can you post a pic of your presumed 'glass failure'? :?:

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 pm

ryo wrote:well, Richard...
can you post a pic of your presumed 'glass failure'? :?:
Mate I never seem to be able to work that out. RichardHead!!!

I can get realistic view through glass set at index 1.0 but need 1.52 to get reflections then no light penetrates - well not quickly!!!!

A_Minima

Post by A_Minima » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:30 am

I tried to give a beginning of answer in PPB. Could it be the fact you don't use to give a thick to your glass ? ('cause you don't, right ?)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:44 am

You are right mate I don't give the glass thickness. Because I've been using maxwell I haven't been as they have a single plane solution for glass.

Looks if I might contiue to utilise Indigo I will need to change this practice!

By the way saw your PPB thread this morning and thanks!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Well... I'm not working on it right now, but if there's enough demand, I may do implement a 'single sided glass' material.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Mate I think that is a bit of a must really. I know it was a specific undertaking of NextLimit to introduce a solution for this via the AGS!!!

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:45 pm

I second that .
A single surface architectural glazing can be practical.

Although i must say that Maxwell 'had' to implement this because it failed to let direct sun light enter interiors.

Indigo doesn't seem to have this problem so maybe it isn't necessary after all to have some kind single surfaced mockup glass version...Unless you need to render with bipt. turned 'on'. Am i right?

By the way, the glass test aMinima posted on pushpullbar is a must to see.
Thanks minima.

cheers

A_Minima

Post by A_Minima » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:44 am

kwistenbiebel wrote:By the way, the glass test aMinima posted on pushpullbar is a must to see.
:oops: coming from you, I take it as a compliment :oops:

Refering to the thread Kwisten mentioned and 'cause every Indigo's users don't know what we mean by "PPB" ([PPB]² in fact) I invite all of you to visit us at www.pushpullbar.com.
Hope moderators forgive me if "link routing" is not super-correct but the more we are to share a commun "culture" the more we will be able to progress...

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:20 am

Mate I'm sure all will appreciate the visit but just be mindful the aim of the PPB mods is actually to try and keep it design and not so much tech related. I don't mind though but I know they do!

Cheers mate!

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:23 am

Mate I'm sure all will appreciate the visit but just be mindful the aim of the PPB mods is actually to try and keep it design and not so much tech related. I don't mind though but I know they do!

Cheers mate!

A_Minima

Post by A_Minima » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:12 am

SURE
Don't think it's a "hey, mate ! Look at my renders !" forum. It's architecture, design and related oriented. And even if you just upload your work without any other explanation (read forum rules) you'll be fired (kidding)... :wink:
A picture without explanation is the best way to the PPB trash bin.

crc

Post by crc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:45 am

somewhat of a thread hijack, but since I didn't start it... :)
I registered at PPB, and before I had a chance to post anything or really read through very much, I got an email saying I "didn't meet their qualifications"
what's up with that? I filled out my profile and all that stuff, but like I said, I hadn't been registered more than a day.
and this isn't a hobby, i do this for a living- sketchup, modeling, architecture, design, etc.
seems pretty snobbish to me. any ideas as to why this happened?

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:46 am

That's strange. I didn't know that.
I know that you can't download objects before you have contributed a number of (meaningful) posts. I also believe that the 'technical section' stays hidden (locked) at first as well. If you want to be sure...check the info on the forum.

I understand it is frustrating, but believe me...the guys from pushpullbar are really hospitable and friendly in my experience.

Regards,
kwistenbiebel

ikki78

architectural glass

Post by ikki78 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi all, for me the glass with render work well... Best regards Piero
Attachments
im1173098612.png
im1173098612.png (960.58 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

42 posts