[REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
User avatar
Oscar J
1st Place Winner
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
3D Software: Blender

[REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Oscar J » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 am

Now that you've got 3.8 out with some great optimisations and stuff - I'm starting to think it might be time to bother you with some things I'd love to see in Indigo. :)

Handling missing files (e.g. textures) more smoothly - for example showing a list of all missing files, and the option to render the scene without them.
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=12526

Easy accessible options for the resizing of the supersampled image - at the moment I often end up rendering at the double size and then resizing it using the Bicubic sharper option in PS.
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=12486

Better region rendering, either with a brush or a grayscale image, or simply not having to stop the render, but only pause it, select the area you want Indigo to focus on, and still see and save the whole render even though you're only rendering a region.
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=12543

Thanks

User avatar
Pibuz
1st Place 100
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:58 am
Location: Padua, Italy
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Pibuz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 am

..I'd actually LOVE seeing region rendering inside the sketchy viewport :lol:
But maybe I'm pushing it too far :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:52 am

All reasonable requests, we'll see what we can do.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Zom-B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:58 am

Interactive Region Rendering (brush) would be great to focus CPU power on critical areas of a image after a certain time of rendering :)
I hate it to waste CPU cycles on noisfree parts of a Rendering, while waiting for some small but nasty areas to clean up...
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:14 am

Zom-B wrote:Interactive Region Rendering (brush) would be great to focus CPU power on critical areas of a image after a certain time of rendering :)
I hate it to waste CPU cycles on noisfree parts of a Rendering, while waiting for some small but nasty areas to clean up...
Yeah, that's the hardest request of the three though, as it requires a lot of fiddly GUI work.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Zom-B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:20 am

OnoSendai wrote:Yeah, that's the hardest request of the three though, as it requires a lot of fiddly GUI work.
I can imagine that to be not that easy to achieve.
It would be a great v4 Feature for sure!
polygonmanufaktur.de

FakeShamus
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:34 am

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Zom-B wrote:Interactive Region Rendering (brush) would be great to focus CPU power on critical areas of a image after a certain time of rendering :)
I hate it to waste CPU cycles on noisfree parts of a Rendering, while waiting for some small but nasty areas to clean up...
Yeah, that's the hardest request of the three though, as it requires a lot of fiddly GUI work.
what about my idea to make it mask-based, load an external b/w image to weight the rendering priority? also maybe could be used along with material ID pass to focus on certain materials only. would this be easier to implement than an interactive brush feature?

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 am

FakeShamus wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:
Zom-B wrote:Interactive Region Rendering (brush) would be great to focus CPU power on critical areas of a image after a certain time of rendering :)
I hate it to waste CPU cycles on noisfree parts of a Rendering, while waiting for some small but nasty areas to clean up...
Yeah, that's the hardest request of the three though, as it requires a lot of fiddly GUI work.
what about my idea to make it mask-based, load an external b/w image to weight the rendering priority? also maybe could be used along with material ID pass to focus on certain materials only. would this be easier to implement than an interactive brush feature?
Yeah, it will be easier to implement if the mask stays the same, and doesn't change while the program is running.

FakeShamus
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:34 am

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:05 am

it might not be as sexy as a custom brush tool, but even very basic functionality would really improve efficiency on a lot of renders.

edit:
btw, +1 on supersampling control and missing textures improvements, too! all good stuff.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Zom-B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:42 am

OnoSendai wrote:what about my idea to make it mask-based, load an external b/w image to weight the rendering priority? also maybe could be used along with material ID pass to focus on certain materials only. would this be easier to implement than an interactive brush feature?
Yeah, it will be easier to implement if the mask stays the same, and doesn't change while the program is running.[/quote]In my eyes a quite inflexible approach, I would rather prefer to adjust on-the-fly.
The idea of such a mask is to render your image, and after lets say 8h you paint a BW mask in PS on your rendering with the areas to focus on.

I have the feeling that there should be a focus on interactive Brush based RR, rather then a "half baked" solution.
Even if it will take (a lot) more time to include that feature, but this is only my opinion.

The good part about the image mask based approach is that by investing some time and based on some ID passes out of your 3D app you could also generate some Masks that would work nicely for animation rendering...
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
fenerolina
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: Pyrenees

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by fenerolina » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 am

I hate ... waiting for some small but nasty areas to clean up...
Yes!
Region render improvements +1
Missing textures problems +1

User avatar
Oscar J
1st Place Winner
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
3D Software: Blender

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:08 am

Here's another feature I've been wanting for some time:

OnoSendai wrote:
"The carbon fibre material is an interesting challenge actually, that can't really be done in Indigo efficiently currently.
It really needs a smooth dielectric coating material for the resin, and then a substrate for the carbon fibre with its own shading normal. Currently in Indigo the substrate can't have an independent shading normal. I'll try and improve this at some point.

[...]

Will have a look at it after 3.6 is done."

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... &start=180

Please! :)

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by CTZn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Oscar J wrote:Here's another feature I've been wanting for some time:

OnoSendai wrote:
"The carbon fibre material is an interesting challenge actually, that can't really be done in Indigo efficiently currently.
It really needs a smooth dielectric coating material for the resin, and then a substrate for the carbon fibre with its own shading normal. Currently in Indigo the substrate can't have an independent shading normal. I'll try and improve this at some point.

[...]

Will have a look at it after 3.6 is done."

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... &start=180

Please! :)
wouldn't a blend parameter between the coating and substrate's bump mapping be handy ? a rough substrate beneath a smooth coating is widely plausible...
obsolete asset

User avatar
Oscar J
1st Place Winner
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
3D Software: Blender

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 pm

I really don't think that'd be the same (blending the materials).

Look here: http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-conte ... wheels.jpg

The structure of the carbon fibre is highly visible in the darker parts, but where the surfaces are reflecting the lighting plane above the car, the coating material takes over and almost completely hides the carbon fibre structure. That wouldn't be the case if you'd just blend the two materials in Indigo, the clear coat has to be above the carbon layer.

Agree? :)

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: [REQ] Dusting off some old requests

Post by CTZn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm

I meant a new coating parameter that would blend nothing but its shading normals with those of the substrate. Sometimes the coating does match the substrate's surface details, but not in all cases or places.

Perhaps should such a new parameter also take displacement into consideration (surface details, as I would call bump + displacement).
obsolete asset

Post Reply
25 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests