How to simulate a sun lit interior with the SU exporter?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 am

Double plane glass (thin box) works fine in indigo, actually that's what I always do....
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:44 am

Hey Kwisten and A_Minima.

joegiampaoli mate are you suggestiong all windows must be dual layer (thin box norms external) Oh No!!!!

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:50 am

Richard wrote:Hey Kwisten and A_Minima.

joegiampaoli mate are you suggestiong all windows must be dual layer (thin box norms external) Oh No!!!!
Hi Richard,
turning to the dark side ? (= using something else than maxwell) :wink:
What would be the problem with using dual layered glass with all normals pointed externally?

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 am

kwistenbiebel wrote:
Richard wrote:Hey Kwisten and A_Minima.

Hi Richard,
turning to the dark side ? (= using something else than maxwell) :wink:
What would be the problem with using dual layered glass with all normals pointed externally?
Mate I just remember the time blow out issue on the one (from the light side) with MR.

Plus all my windows are now single sided :evil:

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:04 am

Ouch, those surfaces will need a CTRL+'pushpull' and some normal checking.
Sketchup needs a good multiple pushpull tool to make this go fast.
btw, a single surface also works but i haven't tested the difference in appearance yet.

cheers

ryo

Sunlight in interiors problem

Post by ryo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:02 am

Okay, Chris...
first I thought you had forgotten to turn your model to have the north pointing upwards when looking to the plan. (I realised I had to turn my models in order to have north at 0° = up towards the Y axis, otherwise indigo doesn't respect the orientation of my sketchup model), but when you removed the glass the light entered the room, so it wasn't that...

second, don't forget to have a depth in the glass mesh, I use 1cm generally, and don't have any problem with sunlight thru windows.

Ryo

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Ryo,
Good to see PPB is well represented by now here on the forum.
So you use double faced glazing... Do you set IOR 1.5 or keep it at 1.0 ('air')?

BTW very nice image. i would just brighten it a little. It looks noise free. What was the render time? Did you use my hint to set consec.rey at 50 and turn bipt. off?

regards,
biebel

ryo

Post by ryo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:49 am

kwistenbiebel wrote:Hi Ryo,
So you use double faced glazing... Do you set IOR 1.5 or keep it at 1.0 ('air')?

BTW very nice image. i would just brighten it a little. It looks noise free. What was the render time? Did you use my hint to set consec.rey at 50 and turn bipt. off?

regards,
biebel
Thanks Chris :)
glass is default glass, IOR 1.5 or 1.52 I don't remember...
the model is ... well... you know, Michel's Ando's House in Sumiyoshi.
the image is untouched, raw from indigo, default render settings, just rotated the model to have the sunlight entering the room and lickin' the wall...
7h render with my dual Xeon 2.8Ghz but 1 thread, 2Gb ram. but the image here is resized a bit (1280x960 originally), this perhaps explains the apparent noisefree-look.
what impressed me is that the glass creates a caustic line on the floor and the aluminium frame hit by the sunlight as well, without even having to tick a 'caustics on' option... and the fact that the exposure problem is relatively well solved: no washed area, and no dark black area neither. the image can thus easily be tweaked with PS to get a little more light in the shadowed areas, and place blooming glares here and there at will... :shock: :D

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:48 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:Ouch, those surfaces will need a CTRL+'pushpull' and some normal checking.
Sketchup needs a good multiple pushpull tool to make this go fast.
btw, a single surface also works but i haven't tested the difference in appearance yet.

cheers
The thing is mate I have 33 diferent window components in the one design I'm working on so yep Ouch! I wished I'd made the glass plane a component itself! :(

Problem I'm having with Indigo is that I can adjust the aperture size to effect DOF but then I can adjust shutter speed to get more brightness. Its ok If I use a aperture size to create significant DOF but if I want most of my image in focus light is lost.

Ryo

Open your aperture to fix the light.

A_Minima

Post by A_Minima » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 am

It seems that section of the Indigo forum could become a PPB members second residence...

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:05 am

Could someone explain to me what PPB stands for? Just curious....

Thanks in advance..

ryo

Post by ryo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:22 am

Whaat wrote:Could someone explain to me what PPB stands for? Just curious....

Thanks in advance..
PPB = PushPullBar
http://www.pushpullbar.com/
a forum focused on contemporary (but not only) architecture and design, initially gathering people using Sketchup as a tool of choice,... but now its expansion attracts the interest of people far beyond the sketchup community.

ryo

btw, Chris... I tried the Church of the Light (model by Mitch) but it's impossible to get sunlit interior... very strange... unless I switch off the glass layer... :?
I don't understand why?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:24 pm

ryo wrote:
kwistenbiebel wrote:Hi Ryo,

regards,
biebel
Thanks Chris :)
glass is default glass, IOR 1.5 or 1.52 I don't remember...
the model is ... well... you know, Michel's Ando's House in Sumiyoshi.
the image is untouched, raw from indigo, default render settings, just rotated the model to have the sunlight entering the room and lickin' the wall...
7h render with my dual Xeon 2.8Ghz but 1 thread, 2Gb ram. but the image here is resized a bit (1280x960 originally), this perhaps explains the apparent noisefree-look.
what impressed me is that the glass creates a caustic line on the floor and the aluminium frame hit by the sunlight as well, without even having to tick a 'caustics on' option... and the fact that the exposure problem is relatively well solved: no washed area, and no dark black area neither. the image can thus easily be tweaked with PS to get a little more light in the shadowed areas, and place blooming glares here and there at will... :shock: :D
Where i can i get the model of Ando's Sumiyoshi house?
Any chance you could send it to me?
nickamy AT paradise DOT net DOT nz

ryo

Arch models

Post by ryo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Here, on PPB, section architectural models:
http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums//foru ... y.php?f=30

sintra

Re: Arch models

Post by sintra » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:23 am

ryo wrote:Here, on PPB, section architectural models:
http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums//foru ... y.php?f=30
I have found the model on the PPB forum you suggested but i cannot find the scene in the first image of this thread. Any help on this one.

Regards

Darren

46 posts