New features?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
Timo Finkbeiner

Re: New features?

Post by Timo Finkbeiner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 am

Hi,

does anyone know now when the next version of Indigo will appear? Some news about new features yet?

Timo

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 am

Only the devs do, there was no official announcement afaik.
But since we are quite far in the 3.6.x version now, I suggest that some stable build isn't that far away :)
No idea if next there will be some 3.8 or even a 4.x.

It seems that the devs now are quite busy updating the exporters, Indigo Max, Skindigo and the Revit Exporter seem all to get some love from the devs :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:26 pm

It would be awesome if we could add environment maps from the ui!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:05 am

+1

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:21 am

What about
-Being able to see what the light layer corresponds to?
-Network rendering on android? Phones have come a long way in the last few years. Most have quadcore processors and from what i can tell, adreno does in fact support opencl. Kinda surprised me. :)
-Or atleast a remote that lets you see your render, adjust things, save image, etc?
-A lights filter in the scene view?
-A "filsmtrip" like window that lets you compare different tonemapped, lighted versions of your render. The way, I see it, there would be two tabs at the top, one with your current render, and another one where you could go in and compare different versions. To my knowledge no other renderer has a feature like this.
-The ability to save scaled down versions of your image

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 am

neo0. wrote: -A "filsmtrip" like window that lets you compare different tonemapped, lighted versions of your render. The way, I see it, there would be two tabs at the top, one with your current render, and another one where you could go in and compare different versions. To my knowledge no other renderer has a feature like this.
A super useful feature that I also already requested, this one would really enhance my workflow a lot!
polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:18 pm

What about the ability to save your camera position so if you have to male some quick changes in your app, you dont have to see if you can recreate things? :-)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:57 pm

The ability to drag and drop materials in the viewport in order to swap them or perhaps even duplicate them. So for example, ypu hold down a modifier key (like ctrl) abd when you drag from a to b, it copies the material from object a to b. I hope this is clear. :)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:25 pm

What about the ability to fit the current window to your screen size? :wink:

Texture painting? :D Ive wanted to see something like this since the early days of indigo. Maybe something like in zbrush. Imagine if you could paint displacement maps. Would even make things for those of us who arent so good with ISL. :wink:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:16 am

neo0. wrote:What about the ability to fit the current window to your screen size? :wink:
Like clicking ALT+Enter during rendering? You can detach tabs from Indigos GUI and scale them as you wish, put on your second screen etc..Or what do you ask for exactly?
neo0. wrote:Texture painting? :D Ive wanted to see something like this since the early days of indigo. Maybe something like in zbrush. Imagine if you could paint displacement maps. Would even make things for those of us who aren't so good with ISL. :wink:
Mate, most of your suggestions are render engine unrelated and are covered by many 3D programs! It seems the one you are using lacks of many features and you ask the Glare team to put them into Indigo.... think about it... seriously!
Indigo is a renderer, and should focus on that, instead of wasting development time for features that are common around 3D Modelers...
polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 am

Hehe, I tried doing alt + enter. Nothing happens :) Also, ide like to mention that the info line at the bottom doesnt quite fit on my screen. The time for the image update is cut off. My screen resolution is 1366 x 768.
Mate, most of your suggestions are render engine unrelated and are covered by many 3D programs! It seems the one you are using lacks of many features and you ask the Glare team to put them into Indigo.... think about it... seriously!
Indigo is a renderer, and should focus on that, instead of wasting development time for features that are common around 3D Modelers...
Well, it has been quite some time since we saw new features. Though it quite ambitious, i think it would be neat. I cant think of many apps that have this besides zbrush (and zbrush costs almost $800.) Not many people know about indigo renderer which is a pity. :) I think exciting new features would help to attract more attention. :wink:

Sketchup doesnt really have much in the way of texturing tools, so it would help out those of us are su but imagine the possibilities. Being able to paint a design on glass and seeing the results practically with no delay. Indigo already feautures some limited texture tools, so in a way, this would sort of be an extension. :wink:

I absolutely think indigo should focus on being a render tool. You dont see me asking for move tools or something? :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:15 pm

neo0. wrote:Hehe, I tried doing alt + enter. Nothing happens :)
Try during rendering ;)
neo0. wrote:Also, ide like to mention that the info line at the bottom doesnt quite fit on my screen. The time for the image update is cut off. My screen resolution is 1366 x 768.
well, that sucks. Indigo on a Laptop?!
neo0. wrote:I cant think of many apps that have this besides zbrush (and zbrush costs almost $800.)
I remember that C4D, Blender, 3DCoat and Modo have that feature too, and I even haven't checked the web for it... maybe you should!
neo0. wrote:Not many people know about indigo renderer which is a pity. :) I think exciting new features would help to attract more attention. :wink:
Yes, new features are always sweet, and they get developed! Check out the last 3 posts in the blog, seems you have overseen that stuff: http://www.indigorenderer.com/blog
neo0. wrote:Sketchup doesnt really have much in the way of texturing tools, so it would help out those of us are su but imagine the possibilities. Being able to paint a design on glass and seeing the results practically with no delay. Indigo already feautures some limited texture tools, so in a way, this would sort of be an extension. :wink:
This is because Sketchup has his own strengths, and focuses on them... same as Indigo does. If you need more 3D workflow features for your daily work go and try another program, go for blender who has it all and many more!
neo0. wrote:I absolutely think indigo should focus on being a render tool. You dont see me asking for move tools or something? :)
I see you asking for painting tools, need I say more?
polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 am

Feneroilina : Oh ok, well I had no idea that there was a plugin like this out there! Ill be sure to check it out! By itself, sketchup doesnt really offer much in terms of texturing. I mostly do all my work in a seperate app then expoert to su mostly just to render.
Try during rendering
Ok, something happened. It full screened the render! But that wasnt what I was really talking about. I was requesting that the render could be be scaled to fit in the window (not that it would full screen.) I would still like to see the status, use the controls, etc. ;)
well, that sucks. Indigo on a Laptop?!
Sure why not? Its a pretty fast labtop anyway. Im a student and I cant easily walk around with a desktop. ;) And personally i think the possibility of indigo being on several platforms is pretty exciting. I mean, rendering on a phone a few years back wouldnt have made any sense at all but now with quadcore cpus i think there its defenitely a reason to look into it. I mean, heck my nexus 4 gives me gaming with almost the quality of the xbox 360. Pretty amazing imo.
I remember that C4D, Blender, 3DCoat and Modo have that feature too, and I even haven't checked the web for it... maybe you should!
C4D - $3,695
Modo - $1351
3D Coat - $100

Im a student and as such, i am kind of on a limited budget. I cant afford $2000 apps. Hehe in fact, i cant even afford the paid version of indigo sadly. :wink: There is somethign to be said for offering advanced features in a free app, plus being able to see the results instantly i think will be a big benefit to your workflow. Plus, imagine being able to create an isl shader (or download one from that mat db for those of us who arent quite as adept) and being able to paint it on as opposed to applying it uniformly. It could be huge. :wink: Imagine if indigo had a big community of users like those programs. People love free software and making it more full featured will just bring in more people.

Sure, blender is free, but I love sketchups simple workflow. I can go from import to render in a matter of minutes Often with simple scenes it can be >1 minute. :wink:
Yes, new features are always sweet, and they get developed! Check out the last 3 posts in the blog, seems you have overseen that stuff: http://www.indigorenderer.com
That looks very cool! Cant wait to get my hands on it! :) Still, nothing wrong with improving the ui right? :wink: I mean, im trying to think how to give indigo features that no other renderer has. Besides the awesome unbiased quality that is. :)

[/quote]
Well, if you think about it, you can already adjust the materials/textures from the UI. Would it really be that much of a stretch to also allow the user to be able to simple to choose to apply them how they see fit? :wink:

Imagine for example being able to paint on the scratched onto a metal object for example. It would make things much easier to see the results within seconds rather than having to go back and forth between your rendering app and your modelling app. Just saying. :wink:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 am

neo0. wrote:
Try during rendering
Ok, something happened. It full screened the render! But that wasnt what I was really talking about. I was requesting that the render could be be scaled to fit in the window (not that it would full screen.) I would still like to see the status, use the controls, etc. ;)
yes, I got your point now, that sucks!
neo0. wrote:
C4D - $3,695
Modo - $1351
3D Coat - $100
Im a student and as such, i am kind of on a limited budget. I cant afford $2000 apps. Hehe in fact, i cant even afford the paid version of indigo sadly.
You should know that EVERY software you mentioned does offer education license (same as indigo!!!) :)
Great for a poor student with a laptop :wink:
You also forgot one in your list:
Blender - $0
neo0. wrote:Plus, imagine being able to create an isl shader (or download one from that mat db for those of us who arent quite as adept) and being able to paint it on as opposed to applying it uniformly.
well, no need to imagine that. painted textures can be saved as masks and used for blending materials, at leat in the C4D exporter I work with...
neo0. wrote:Sure, blender is free, but I love sketchups simple workflow. I can go from import to render in a matter of minutes Often with simple scenes it can be >1 minute. :wink:
Don't think that other 3D apps are way easier to learn then Blender, its is a time consuming process! So better start doing so, Blender or some other app that offers education licens. Or you did deep into sketup and the endless plugins that enhance its capabilities...
Still, nothing wrong with improving the ui right? :wink: I mean, im trying to think how to give indigo features that no other renderer has.
Of cause not, but it seems that yours aren't covering with that what professional users think about what Indigo needs.
neo0. wrote:
Well, if you think about it, you can already adjust the materials/textures from the UI. Would it really be that much of a stretch to also allow the user to be able to simple to choose to apply them how they see fit? :wink:
The idea is rather to master your 3D app and send your stuff to the renderer to, well.... render it!
neo0. wrote:Imagine for example being able to paint on the scratched onto a metal object for example. It would make things much easier to see the results within seconds rather than having to go back and forth between your rendering app and your modelling app. Just saying. :wink:
A realtime preview inside the 3D app exporter (like IndigoMax) would be 136 times more valuable then turning the renderer into.... f**k it.... I'm out off here!! :evil:
polygonmanufaktur.de

47 posts