IKEA Inspiration and Trainer

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
thednx

IKEA Inspiration and Trainer

Post by thednx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi,

have been underground for a while, now I am back again trying out the wonderful wonders of Blender and Indigo.
Am trying out an interior scene inspired by IKEA Online, there are still kinks but am interested in what you guys and gals think.

3 Pics: Inspirational pic copyright IKEA, then day and night pic copyright me.
Probably a classical question: i have about 10.000 spp's on the day pic and still have fireflies...tip, anyone?
thanks so much!
1_Inspiration.jpg
2_Day.jpg
3_Night.jpg

CTZn

Re: IKEA Inspiration and Trainer

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:36 am

The original lighting is sophisticated ! Apparently the roof is open as well, it spreads a strong light.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 am

Regarding the fireflies:

Do you use Glass in the windows?
if you do, also activate Glass Acceleration!

Do you use ExitPortals?
If you do, then Sun often causes fireflies if you render in PT mode only, use BiDir to fix that :)

Best solution here would be using BiDirPT with ExitPortals and delete the glass in the windows, since there aren't any reflections visible and it only costs ya rendertime!

The IKEA image has some STRONG light setup behind the camera, you need to place some big Lights here too!
polygonmanufaktur.de

thednx

Post by thednx » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 am

[quote="Zom-B"]Regarding the fireflies:

Do you use Glass in the windows?
if you do, also activate Glass Acceleration!

- good idea, was tinkering around with that - as i dont need glass, I'll just turn them off

Do you use ExitPortals?
- yes, i use exit portals - will try BiDir and give an update ;-)
If you do, then Sun often causes fireflies if you render in PT mode only, use BiDir to fix that :)

Best solution here would be using BiDirPT with ExitPortals and delete the glass in the windows, since there aren't any reflections visible and it only costs ya rendertime!
- allrighty! thanks a million.

The IKEA image has some STRONG light setup behind the camera, you need to place some big Lights here too!
- um, newbie question: what lighting method / technique do you recommend? just a big ol' mesh emitter setup with superduper powers?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:55 am

Try big emitter planes.

Check the Lightsmith collection in the middle of that page: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

maybe try SoftBox A and Umbrella...
polygonmanufaktur.de

cotty

Post by cotty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 am

Don't be sure that the Ikea picture is a photo, see this article :wink:
They have nearly 300 photographer and designer for producing over 200 million catalogues per year :shock:
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 pm

cotty wrote:They have nearly 300 photographer and designer for producing over 200 million catalogues per year :shock:
They actually "just" produce 62 versions of the catalog, after that they only do instancing :D

Anyway, a interesting read!
polygonmanufaktur.de

thednx

Post by thednx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 am

Zom-B wrote:Try big emitter planes.

Check the Lightsmith collection in the middle of that page: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

maybe try SoftBox A and Umbrella...
Thanks first of all for all your time and tips.

Where do i start with my next question? *sigh*

I still am not getting the full-flooded light-look in the room.
- i "opened" the roof (with and without exit portal) - Render looks really dark in the corners
- i set up "studio lamps" (lamps behind the camera / out of view of the camera) but i can never get them strong enough to shine through.
- i am clueless after reading up on HDR / IBL lighting and how to get the gears to touch (using them with blender and indigo / just in blender / just in indigo?!)

basically my main challenge right now is this: light streaming through window: good.
light at the back of the room / in corners:bad. lamps on the same light layer just dont show up...

thanks for you patience. if there is anything i can do to help you, let me know ;-)

thednx

Post by thednx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:03 am

cotty wrote:Don't be sure that the Ikea picture is a photo, see this article :wink:
They have nearly 300 photographer and designer for producing over 200 million catalogues per year :shock:
that is a really cool article! thanks.

thednx

Post by thednx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:05 am

...and of course, i cant expect you to explain the whole science of HDR or IBL lighting ;-)

thednx

Post by thednx » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:24 am

Suggestion: Could someone post a screenshot / blend file that has the right kind of lighting setup for interior rendering with indigo? I'm good at reverse engineering and would be greatly appreciated ;-)
Thank you!

thednx

Post by thednx » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 am

i think i about nailed it - lighting in general. tonemapping etc to come, i had enough trouble getting the room nicely lit into the last corner ;-)

and of course details, details, details. its still sterile at the moment.

tried out dozens of things - now i left the roof open and spread out an emitting plane on top that extrudes down over the edge outside the window...
Attachments
ikea1.Scene.00110.jpg

12 posts • Page 1 of 1