kklors render stuff

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
343 posts
kklors

Re: kklors render stuff

Post by kklors » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks a lot everyone! Didn't expect people would like that one.
FakeShamus wrote:looks really good!
I'm wondering if you could explain the process a little for your rock and mountains, several of your pics have some real epic-feeling landscape.
I'm currently on the move and a bit stressed but I can upload an example material once everything is done.
Generally i'm using one and the same approach though be it a painted/blended photograph of a whole mountain for cam projection or a simple tiled rock texture spread across the mountain.

Obviously certain values and the amount of blends depends on the scene and light, but it comes down to the same approach more or less.
The procedure is:

- creating 3 copies of one and the same material
- low phong IOR, low exponent
- medium phong IOR, medium exponent
- high phong IOR, glossy exponent

- creating 2 bump/displacement maps. one of them has high fidelity detail, the other only big and rough features (I use Shader Map Pro)

- high fidelity bumps go into low and medium exponent materials
- low fidelity goes into high exponent
(depending on the texture I sometimes create a separate channel for displacements and bumps)

- creating 3 blend maps in PS, by color picking and choosing areas with a certain brightness
For example filling a selection of dark tones with white, inverse selection, fill rest with black.
Same goes for mid tones and bright tones.

- using the 3 blend maps from PS to blend inbetween the previously created materials with different phong and bump values.

That's pretty much it.
Also if the mountains are at different distance I use copies of the final shader and use higher displacement for further away ones and lower for closer up to match up the look of the features.
If the mountain is big and has lots of Z space, I use one final blend with low displacement and one with high and blend them with a gradient. So the area closer to the camera has appropriate displacement, while the far away peak at the top would need a lot more displacement.

I know it sounds very cumbersome, but with nature, where a lot of objects have an extreme varying specularity and saturation blending lots of them can bring dull materials to life.

Finally here's a new render. There is tons of geometry and SSS going on and unfortunately I did not bother enough to optimize the scene, so it did not converge as good as I thought after 17h of rendering.
Attachments
weekly37b.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am

New favourite I think. SSS?

kklors

Post by kklors » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 am

Thank you! By SSS I mean Subsurface Scattering.
Every object except for the metal frames and some wall parts has SSS applied. Could have/ should have used rough Oren Nayar for the red and green plates instead, but now it's too late : D

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 am

Oh yes, I know what SSS is. I just wondered if there was any SSS materials in the scene, as it looked like there was a lot. Didn't read the whole post. :roll:

kklors

Post by kklors » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 am

Oh okay, sorry : D Was just wondering why you wouldn't know SSS haha.

The lengthy post was more related to the rock material procedure.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 am

last image: looks like my masterwork if I was to pretend I'm an architect :lol:

Each tile is geometry is it ?
obsolete asset

kklors

Post by kklors » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 pm

@CTZn Hah thanks man! Pseudo architecture is awesome. The big tiles are all geometry indeed, the very small tiles are texture based if you mean those.

Finally made a render with double sided leaf materials :P
Attachments
weekly38.jpg

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Awesome. Great mood as always!

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Cool!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

kklors

Post by kklors » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 am

Thank you Ono and Zeitmeister o/ I managed to listen to one and the same EP on repeat while making that piece, so it kind of ended up like the music mood wise.

This one is inspired by Bosseye's pool renders. I also wanted to give SSS volumes a try without using MLT, which might not be the best setting for this particular scene in some ways. Rendered for 22h on my machine with SS5.
Attachments
weekly39b.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 am

trip-hop ?

Well, it's disturbing but creative, good one kklors.

Hold on, that's SSS AND dispersion is it ?
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am

Another stunning image, congrats.
I hope you don't mind me saying, but I think the ?ribbons? in the foreground complicate the image a bit - I think it could look good with just the pool and figure with bubbles.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Whoa are those bubbles modelled?

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:54 am

OnoSendai wrote:Another stunning image, congrats.
I hope you don't mind me saying, but I think the ?ribbons? in the foreground complicate the image a bit - I think it could look good with just the pool and figure with bubbles.
I agree. Then again I almost wanted them to be tentacles instead of ribbons :)

kklors

Post by kklors » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks a lot people! Really great to get feedback on those renders.

@CTZn:
Listened to the Vintage Well EP by Deaf Center. Hard to define the genre, but it's ultra awesome moody.
And yeah the water's a SSS volume with cauchy. Using an exit portal helped a lot to get it not freak out without MLT.

@Ono and Voytech:
I understand what you mean and you're both right maybe. My very first concept idea was exactly having someone fall into a pool and have red cloth weaving from behind the camera framing the falling subject. Usually I let concepts go easily when they don't work out. In this particular case I wanted to have them in real bad : D

@OscarJ: Yeah haha! I emitted over a million low res spheres from the body. Was very tempting to fake them in in post, but decided against it in the end. Here's a wireframe to see the chaos better: http://abload.de/img/wireafba8.jpg

343 posts