Building renovation

Show off your final renders
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
FoXar

Building renovation

Post by FoXar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:58 am

Hey guys,

Completed this project a few hours ago, a completely renovation of a corner building in Antwerp.
Done the design + viz on this one.. First picture is of the current state of the building.

CC welcome, as always! :mrgreen:

DSC02083.jpg
Exterior.jpg
Traphal.jpg
-1.1.jpg
-1.2.jpg
0.1.jpg
0.2.jpg
1.1.jpg
1.2.jpg
1.3.jpg
1.4.jpg
2.1.jpg
2.2.jpg
2.3.jpg
3.1.jpg
3.2.jpg
3.3.jpg
3.4.jpg
Terras.jpg
Cheers,
Roo Evans

PureSpider

Re: Building renovation

Post by PureSpider » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:07 am

Totally Dieter Rams, I love it!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:39 am

That is the thinnest MacBook I've ever seen! :D Good work.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 am

MAN! You DID render everything! :lol:
Browsing them now: cool minimal style!

I really like the living room with the upper open bedroom (for the render: maybe a little more reflective parquet?)
Excellent sofa and wooden log!

I see the building is very tall and thin: could be interestinf to have a section rendered, now that it's possible 8)

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 am

What an awesome project. Cool style, and I like the exterior render. and pretty much everything else.

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Polinalkrimizei wrote:What an awesome project. Cool style, and I like the exterior render. and pretty much everything else.
+1
Well done (design + renders).
How much time did it take to render all these?

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!
Yes noticed the MacBook, it's sunken in a little.. Damn it!

Sofa is from Designconnected, the log is a heavy modified one from the warehouse, if you want I can share.

The project, from scratch -> design -> 3D -> Rendering (with tons of revisions in between) took about 4 weeks.
Cheers,
Roo Evans

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:12 pm

A interesting Project with a big bunch of images, nice package :)

But since warm words don't help you evolve, here are my "ideas" where the scene could be enhanced:

- in "Traphal.jpg" the staircase misses any lamps that are quite usefull during comming home late ;)
- "1.1.jpg" & "1.2.jpg" that area would realy benefit from some plant that would make it more comfy, you 2D fake champagne comes with whine glasses, fail ^^
- 0.2.jpg would benefit in some subdiv of the chair in the front, also your iMacs still need some power cables.
also the reflections in the laptop look kind off odd, maybe the screen has some normal smoothing issues?!
- "1.1jpg" the watertab looks oversized compared to the micro coffee machine thingy. The stonewall in the back could use some displacement, at least some stronger bump/normal mapping.
- "1.3jpg" the couch looks really neat, but whats about that oversaturated salad on the tree stomp?!
- "2.2.jpg" that bedroom looks soooo empty, the cold white walls could use some love with a painting or a bookshelf.
- "2.3.jpg" that water tab seems to have some normal smooting issues, it also looks kind of big here too.
- "3.2.jpg" your laptop looks wired here too. It seems you can see through the glass screen on the back of the model with so polygone problems, even seeing the apple logo.
- "Terras.jpg" that image is simply hard to come along with. The whole oversaturated plants miss details and look like plastic, the whole geometry looks stiff and Minecraft-ish. Materials need some bump & exponent maps here!

In general you showed big stamina with that project, a bag full of renders, lot perspectives.
The problem is that once you show such an apartment from each angle it needs to be done probably... everywhere. There is no spot unseen, and every problematic area gets displayed too.
It seems you simply lack the motivation to "walk the extra mile" after you have your first satisfying results,
devil is in the detail and the better some areas look like, the more bad areas pop out.
Don't take that personal since I think that critic is needed to evolve and I know how much some´body can get tired of a project and simply overllok stuff, but all the stuff mentioned could been seen by everybody else here around, who just have the time to write it down ;)
Keep up your great work, such big projects are very rare here so we love to see some more ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:23 pm

I think the real issue here is that all you have noted Zom-B would be understandable in a personal, no time limit project.

If one is working for a client, there are deadlines to be met (I have just been in that position), and the real aim in this type of project is for the client to understand fully the design the architect is proposing, the space, and the feel, which I think this has achieved.

And trust me, when the client asks for a significant change to the detailing, "making the apartment properly done everywhere" will come back to bite you, when your 3D model is so detailed (chamfered edges, modifiers) that you can't edit it without re-building it.

It is about flexibility, and it is a fine line. :wink:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

tar_gniK wrote:If one is working for a client, there are deadlines to be met (I have just been in that position), and the real aim in this type of project is for the client to understand fully the design the architect is proposing, the space, and the feel, which I think this has achieved.
Then get faster and do better in the first run, its that simple!
Many of my comments above is regarding simple stuff that shouldn't go wrong initially, experience is that what prevent such stuff!
Also once you start do stuff probably you also can recycle models, materials from older projects.
Don't forget that investing some few € on 3D models can sell the shot and save you a lot of hassle with the client.
I do 3D for living so I should know too ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Zom-B wrote: Also once you start do stuff probably you also can recycle models, materials from older projects.
Yep, I agree with that. :)

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Thus far, I've never had a client who wanted masses of detailing - every time I've 'dressed' the scene with books, wine glasses, plants, pictures etc client has requested they are removed. Maybe I have really fussy clients :lol:

Obviously each client will be different, but generally, the ones I've worked for want to see and understand the space, light and finishes with only some very select pieces of their own proposed furniture. Anything else seems to distract their tiny brains.

Anyway, nice set of images Foxar.

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 am

Hey guys!

I thought I already replied on everything here, I just noticed I haven't..

First of, WOW, thank you Zom-B, this is a great and very helpful reply!
I've learned good new things out of your comment, and got confirmation on comments I am aware of but overlook myself. This was very helpful as I am starting to do 3D for a living also.

I must add that the client literally wanted EVERYTHING to be seen and modelled/rendered..
And as tar_gnik said, this really bites back. As there were a thousands full of changes with the typical
clients approach "can you just change that" and at the end you changed everything a million times but they want you to keep within timeframe and budget.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments! When I have another project I may share I'll make sure to do so :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Roo Evans

13 posts • Page 1 of 1