SkIndigo Progress Updates (Whaat's Development Blog)

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
123 posts
Whaat
Developer

SkIndigo Progress Updates (Whaat's Development Blog)

Post by Whaat » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:38 am

Well, I had planned on finishing the script this weekend but I had no time. Still making progress, though. It will be ready for testing by Feb 4. My biggest headache has been implementing bump mapping. (Sketchup materials can only have one texture). But, I finally came up with a method I am happy with. The user will be able to use the material texture as the bump map or the texture of another material as a bump map. There is the option to disable the material texture so that you can use a bump map without having to use a diffuse map. I also created a tool to pick the point of focus by clicking on any point in 3D space.

[/img]
Last edited by Whaat on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

kwistenbiebel

Re: SkIndigo 0.6 Progress Updates

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:15 am

Whaat wrote: There is the option to disable the material texture so that you can use a bump map without having to use a diffuse map.
Good thinking.
I like the GUI as well. Simple but effective.

Keep it up.

regards

SEPO

Post by SEPO » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:33 pm

This looks very promissing.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Still making progress, though. It will be ready for testing by Feb 4.
I'll be there, looks like you are doing a very good job whaat :o

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:18 am

Script is now available for testing!

http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?t=78152

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:03 pm

I apologize to anyone who has been waiting for the official release. I have been very busy and it has been hard to find time to work on this project. I really wanted to release a tutorial simultaneously with the official exporter script but that will not happen. Instead, I will release a sample Sketchup file that contains many common materials that show typical Indigo material settings.

The offical script will be even easier to use than the Beta. I have added more material presets and NK_Data (Complex IOR) materials are much easier to use. Reverse gamma correction is fixed so colors will look pretty much exactly as you would expect. I have also changed the way the camera works. Now, the rendered image will ALWAYS match exactly what you see in the Sketchup window.

One final treat....Monochrome render mode! Simply change the Sketchup display to monochrome and you can render the whole scene using only one material. Choose frome Clay (preset), current default color, or any material in your scene. This can be useful for material testing and it's also just fun to mess around with. Haven't you always wanted to know what a solid gold or glass house would look like?

Look for the official release this coming weekend....

Whaat

peer

Post by peer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Cool!! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for all your time you spend on this exporter.

Regards,

Peter
Mac Pro 3GHz quadcore, iMac dualcore 2 GHz, Vectorworks 2008, Sketchup 7 Pro, Indigo Renderer, Cheetah3d 4.6.3, OS X 10.5.6

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Thank you Whaat,
That sounds really great. I am happy to see the colour correction is solved.
I can't wait to give it a try. Will HDRI be supported?

I hope you found out how to render in low priority, because i really have problems with that. From the moment i hit 'export to Indigo' my system slows down tremendously and occasionally hangs because of (too) heavy processor duty.
When The indigo window opens and starts 'loading' the .xml i can't even move my mouse anymore.

Unfortunately i have a mono-core PC so i can't use multithreading....
Changing to low priority in Windows Task Manager while rendering produces some strange effects (hangs).

thanks

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:38 am

First tests with Sketchup Global Fog export:

Fog parameters are set using the Sketchup Fog interface. I am happy with the results so far. I did another test with the entire scene scaled by a factor of 20 (fog slider adjusted accordingly) and the output looked to be identical (I only let it render a few minutes so I'm not sure)

When exporting, SkIndigo automatically creates a sphere encompassing the entire scene and the camera. The sphere is exported as a scattering medium with the scattering coefficient driven by the Sketchup Fog slider.
Attachments
FogTest.jpg
Sketchup viewport with Fog enabled
FogTest.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 10676 times
FogTest3.jpg
Sketchup viewport with Fog disabled
FogTest3.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 10678 times
FogTest4.jpg
Indigo output
FogTest4.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
Last edited by Whaat on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:29 am

Another fog test:
Attachments
hazyroom.jpg
Indigo output
hazyroom.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 10646 times
hazyroom2.jpg
Sketchup viewport
hazyroom2.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 10646 times

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:41 am

Wow, cool idea with the fog preview!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:30 am

Finally got around to implementing the indigo sphere primitive last night. I am not sure how the other exporters do it but I first extract the bounding box of the sphere and then extract the center of the bounding box. That point becomes the center of the Indigo sphere and the outer bounds of the bounding box becomes the radius. This way, it doesn't matter where the local origin (pivot) of the sphere is located. (When you drag and drop a standard component sphere into Sketchup, the pivot is at the bottom of the sphere, so I can't use the pivot point as the Indigo sphere center)

Right now, any component that has the word "sphere" in its name will be exported as a sphere. I don't really like this method so it may change before the next release. I would probably prefer a context menu that allows you to enable or disable using the sphere primitive for a particular Sketchup component.
Attachments
sphere_test.jpg
Sketchup viewport
sphere_test.jpg (102.16 KiB) Viewed 10630 times
sphere_test2.jpg
Indigo output
sphere_test2.jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 10628 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:48 am

costumizeable primitive-tags? GREAT :D
Would like to see such stuff in Blendigo, too...
But I guess, .sphere is effective enough, there.
Wouldn't need anything else... Just want to hve the possibility, though :D

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:15 pm

FOG? Man you are the coolest guy on the planet!!!!!!!!!! I want to have your children!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 am

LOL :lol: (nervously)

123 posts