GPU test

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
benfattino

GPU test

Post by benfattino » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am

I try to do some test with different configuration.
The scene is the same for every machine.

GTX570 2,5 GB - 550 sample/s - pathtracing
GTX660 2 GB - 700 sample/s - pathtracing
GTX680 2GB - 910 sample/s - pathtracing

MacPro Dual XEON 5520 - 900 sample/s - bidirectional pathtracing

I tried to create a scene with elements of all kinds. (emitter, displacement, metal, glass)
This is just a test to understand the differences between the cards nvidia Series 5 and Series 6.
It would be interesting to do a test with an ATI card (possibly 7970 6 gb) or Tesla (maybe k20G).
There remains the question: should the gtx680 than the GTX580 (among other things now lost)?
Small note: a MacPro with Dual Xeon still behaves very well (although of course the cost is much higher than a single card) ...

I hope I have implemented a good test. I accept tips ...
S.
Attachments
GTX680.jpg
GTX680
GTX660.jpg
GTX660
GTX570.jpg
GTX570

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: GPU test

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

Ok here some advice to get some more performance out of GPU rendering:

- Set the splat filter to fastbox
- manually set the threads for Indigo to CPU Core count with HT +1

Also GPUs starts flexing muscles in exterior scenes or Studio setups where rays can be killed quickly by bouncing off into space instead of going through a high ray depth in a closed room.

In the end the problem is always to get good balance between CPU and GPU power so noone of both starts to idle...
polygonmanufaktur.de

benfattino

Post by benfattino » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks for the tips.
I only understand if 680 is a good choice... And I think it is...
If i use 4 MacPro on network render (bidirectional pathtracing) the result are more higher...
Hope someone test ATI or Tesla...

S.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am

The thing is that Indigo uses hybrid rendering, CPU + GPU together, so the harmony between both components is important, otherwise one of both is overpowered and idles! The overall speed gain from rendering together with a GPU is not super-ultra-mega-high, but +100% and more can be achieved in certain situations.
Test your PC without GPU but still with pure pathtracing, so you'll see how much benefit you get...

BiDir PT in general generates less samples per second, but converts complicated situations faster to a clean image the pure PT (caustics for example).
polygonmanufaktur.de

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 pm

so why is there no gpu only rendering if in most scenes gpu is limited by cpu speed/ you're always having a bottleneck between cpu and gpu conversion.
fe for people who can't afford a dual xeon monster workstation there is no way to gain full advantage of buying a new gpu as long as your cpu is too slow to feed it... :-/
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

Mor4us wrote:so why is there no gpu only rendering if in most scenes gpu is limited by cpu speed
Not most scenes, but Interiors mostly :)

in the hybrid approach the GPU is only doing a part of the work, the part that suits the GPU best.
This approach saves a lot of RAM on the GPU and was great in times it hit the market, when the top RAM amount a Graphic card had was 1GB.
Also in the time Indigos GPU rendering was developed the whole situation was kind of new and undiscovered,
porting a whole engine to GPU was kind of a big deal these days.

I have no idea what Indigo future plans here are and where that journey is heading too, but I can tell that in the Studio setup animation of a couch I'm doing here atm for a customer my shity Nvidia GTS 450 bumps the samples per sec by +80% on my 6 core AMD 1080T @ 3.5Ghz and rendering in pure PT is due to the "simple" materials of a couch a winner regarding quality over time compared to BiDir and MLT.
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Zom-B wrote:- manually set the threads for Indigo to CPU Core count with HT +1
Erm, can you please explain that again? Or in german? :mrgreen:
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 am

zeitmeister wrote:
Zom-B wrote:- manually set the threads for Indigo to CPU Core count with HT +1
Erm, can you please explain that again? Or in german? :mrgreen:
I discovered that Indigo renders faster if you have manually set it to render with one extra thread compared to the auto Threads Indigo uses.
polygonmanufaktur.de

8 posts • Page 1 of 1