Post by Maya26 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:25 am

First post here..

tips & comments are welcome

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by Zom-B » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Maya26 wrote:tips & comments are welcome
Looks like a nice displacement test scene :)
But I would suggest to raise Indigos Subdivision even further!
Set Subdiv parameters to "view dependent", by that you only subdiv areas of the mesh that are in camera view and save a lot of RAM, also use the Pixel threshold, that takes care that no polygone gets subdived that is smaller then the size of Pixel you set here. But beware that this Pixel value is aiming at the internal resolution you work in, so before super sampling is applied. A Supersampling of 3 tells you that the image is renderd internally 300% of your output size, so a Pixel threshold of 3 would be only 1 pixel for your output image. I usually set it to 1,5*Supersampling value :)

If you wanna double-check how much your scene is subdived go in your material during rendering in the Indigo GUI, set it to Diffuse, and in the bottom of the material settings you got a checkbox "colored triangles" or so, hit that for some visual feedback on Subdiv!

Also beware that if your Displacement map is grey (RGB 128) centered, so that area stay "not moved", then you need to tweak your A, B and C setting like that:

C= (B/2)*-1

So lets say if B is 0.004 then C needs to be -0.002.
Otherwise you displacements moves the mesh only in normal direction for each pixel that is brighter then pure black...

Last but not least is the quite important information about how to set gamma for the texture:
If you have a Black and white map that is in saved as RGB your gamma needs to be @ 1.
If you have a grayscale image that is saved as one, the gamma needs to be 0.656565
to have the center zero point of displacement at 128.
Using grayscale images for displacement (also Exponent, bump & Blend etc.) is to prefer, it saves you a lot of RAM since Indigo loads the textures as RAW pixeldata into the system memory.
Last edited by Zom-B on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Maya26

Post by Maya26 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:44 am

Zom-B wrote:
Maya26 wrote:tips & comments are welcome
Looks like a nice displacement test scene :)
But I would suggest to raise Indigos Subdivision even further!
Set Subdiv parameters to "view dependent", by that you only subdiv areas of the mesh that are in camera view and save a lot of RAM, also use the Pixel threshold, that takes care that no polygone gets subdived that is smaller then the size of Pixel you set here. But beware that this Pixel value is aiming at the internal resolution you work in, so before super sampling is applied. A Supersampling of 3 tells you that the image is renderd internally 300% of your output size, so a Pixel threshold of 3 would be only 1 pixel for your output image. I usually set it to 1,5*Supersampling value :)

If you wanna double-check how much your scene is subdived go in your material during rendering in the Indigo GUI, set it to Diffuse, and in the bottom of the material settings you got a checkbox "colored triangles" or so, hit that for some visual feedback on Subdiv!

Also beware that if your Displacement map is grey (RGB 128) centered, so that area stay "not moved", then you need to tweak your A, B and C setting like that:

C= (B/2)*-1

So lets say if B is 0.004 then C needs to be -0.002.
Otherwise you displacements moves the mesh only in normal direction for each pixel that is brighter then pure black...

Thanks a LOT Zom B!
all your comments will be noted.. :)

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 am

Hey Glare,

please put Zom-B's post directly in the manual. I found myself searching for this kind of info in various forums, which works, but is quite tedious.

Krass was Du ganz nebenbei so alles raushaust, Zom-B, danke!

cotty

Post by cotty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 am

Polinalkrimizei wrote:Hey Glare,

please put Zom-B's post directly in the manual. I found myself searching for this kind of info in various forums, which works, but is quite tedious.
Someone should start a "Best of Zom-B tipps and tricks" thread :wink:
Polinalkrimizei wrote:Krass was Du ganz nebenbei so alles raushaust, Zom-B, danke!
Auch mein Gedanke.
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 am

cotty wrote:
Polinalkrimizei wrote:Krass was Du ganz nebenbei so alles raushaust, Zom-B, danke!
Auch mein Gedanke.
you a welcome guys :)
Polinalkrimizei wrote:Someone should start a "Best of Zom-B tipps and tricks" thread :wink:
I actually have some never released old Tips & Tricks textfile floating on my HDD -.-'

I also just updated the text above with some gamma info, to have a all round package :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Next CindigoGreenpeace - test :D

jast Cinema 4d hair...

regards
ArchiCAD 14, Cinema 4D r13, IndigoRender, VrayforC4D

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Simple Renderings Thread

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 am

Great result!!!
Could you please Share your HAIR settings?
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

sandidolsak

Post by sandidolsak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 am

Hey guys, I was flirting with this render engine for the past week, have to say it awesome, the integration with c4d is great!

anyway this are my first simple tests:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1564440/Cindigo_Lamps0052.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1564440/Cindigo_Grass0023.png

if I may ask here, is indigo even used for animations, couldn't find anything but tests on youtube...

and wlf_alex, I would really like to know how did you create backlit material for grass? =)

Cheers guys

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 am

sandidolsak wrote:Hey guys, I was flirting with this render engine for the past week...
That flirt looks quite serious, keep em coming :)
sandidolsak wrote:if I may ask here, is indigo even used for animations, couldn't find anything but tests on youtube...
I already did some Animations with Indigo, you can see some here, here and here. I just have some more in the pipeline :)
As long as you do non interiors like studio setups, HDRI lit and exteriors it works out quite nice with the help of some potent temporal denoiser....
sandidolsak wrote:and wlf_alex, I would really like to know how did you create backlit material for grass? =)
You can blend your phong material with diffuse-transmitter to achive that. But we all eagerly await the next beta round where we'll hopefully get double sided material :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

sandidolsak

Post by sandidolsak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 am

Zom-B wrote:That flirt looks quite serious, keep em coming :)
heh, sure!
Zom-B wrote:I already did some Animations with Indigo, you can see some here, here and here. I just have some more in the pipeline :)
As long as you do non interiors like studio setups, HDRI lit and exteriors it works out quite nice with the help of some potent temporal denoiser....
Nice stuff there! ...so for now some production value stuff means more or less a renderfarm =)
Zom-B wrote:You can blend your phong material with diffuse-transmitter to achive that. But we all eagerly await the next beta round where we'll hopefully get double sided material :)
Thanks for the tip, I tried that but result had a lot of "fireflies" all over the grass and walls, so I thought there was something wrong... will try leave it to clear this time then =)

Reading trough forums seems like there is a very short development cycle here, very promising!

Cheers

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Hola amigos ! :)

I dont use blend material for grass. Jast simple phong material. And i waiting for double sided material as well.

I attached a scene file.

regards...
Attachments
Hair-Grass-Indigo-scene.rar
(5.26 MiB) Downloaded 239 times
ArchiCAD 14, Cinema 4D r13, IndigoRender, VrayforC4D

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:55 am

Archviz cliche I know, but I thought I'd have a go at one of my favoirite buildings as a learning exercise.

My first attempt at (a very small bit) of Louis Kahn Salk Institute, possiblly the start of a series... time depending...
Attachments
salk.jpg

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 am

bubs wrote:Archviz cliche I know, but I thought I'd have a go at one of my favoirite buildings as a learning exercise.

My first attempt at (a very small bit) of Louis Kahn Salk Institute, possiblly the start of a series... time depending...
I love the concrete but the metals is not as good. It remindes me of sketchup metals

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 am

Yeah, it's the galvanised steel material from the database, it looks very repeated... There's pleanty of other things to change too, I'll add it to the list! :wink:

4421 posts