Loft interior / advice welcomed

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
FoXar

Loft interior / advice welcomed

Post by FoXar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure you are all familiar with that project that never seems to finish and you get struck on at some point..

Well this is one of mine, it is already taking around 8 weeks with tons of tweaks to be done each meeting.
Unfortunately I lost track off all the tweaks, SketchUp is as good as unusable with such a huge file, the render quality isn't nearly as good as I hope it'd be.

One hard thing, the design and colours are exactly what the client wants them to be, so no playing around with that.

It should be realistic, 'wow' and.. oh well, it lacks everything, it's a dead and boring place..

Any advice would be greatly welcomed, I'll be gifting some models and textures to the best advisors! :mrgreen:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
Cheers,
Roo Evans

cotty

Re: Loft interior / advice welcomed

Post by cotty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm

I would suggest to place some accessoires (books, flowers, papers, shoes, candles, bottle, pictures, ...)

(You can see what I mean by looking at Zom-B interiors e.g.)
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 pm

It's a fine place really. You pinned it down, it's feeling empty if not aseptised.

Alignements, reflections are perfect. Various exponent map may render the shots more convincing.

Agreed with Cotty, it's missing some evidences of human activity, a few practical props suggesting that it has been leisurely visited or is equiped to offer a comfortable stay already.

It's a great serie FoXar !
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 am

for some free resources check these:

http://www.modelplusmodel.com/free.html
http://www.designconnected.com/catalog/ ... stype-DESC
http://www.evermotion.org/download

You really should start building up a library of 3D models on you HDD to fill scenes like that quickly.
(keep track of source of data and copyright!)

Sometimes its a great idea to buy some models for a few € instead of getting mad and pissed of by a project/customer.
(Ask here before you buy if that model would be fine to use for them, bad if it doesn't fit the taste of customer..)

what would help quite well would be some paintings on the walls (maybe customer has some ideas here...)
Some "kicking plates" in the rooms also could break up the strict "wall hits floor" look.
Some Flowers on the tables, a open magazine too.Some hanging lamps and also standing lamps.
The bathroom need at least 1 towel ;)
The bed in pic 6 needs a blanket, nobody likes to sleep directly on some crocodile leather.
Some glasses of wine here and there (and a bottle), some books in a shelve.
Plants, plants and maybe some more plants in the living area :)

P.S. cotty, I feel flattered to be linked by you as example of messy rooms ^^
polygonmanufaktur.de

cotty

Post by cotty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am

Zom-B wrote:P.S. cotty, I feel flattered to be linked by you as example of messy rooms ^^
If messy means nicely detailed, you are right :wink:
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

dcm

Post by dcm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 am

nice images, needs some improvements

anyway, who wants to have 2 tons of marble in middle of living room ?

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice and comments, I really agree on everything you say about making it "messy", I do have a library
packed with models ready to use. Unfortunately the client thinks otherwise, he wants a classy, clean and expensive
looking interior and no clutter.. I think it should be achievable to still create something good, maybe I should more focus on lightning to make the materials pop some more?

I'll call the client tomorrow, see if I can convince him, although he clearly stated to not have magazine like images either. Can't stop talking, but the more I say the more you know I'm limited with what I can do:
so it should look exclusive, slightly over the top, no clutter, no magazine styled images,..
About the plants, I completely agree, again, according to the client it isn't an amazon (which was a funny comment though).

I hope I'm not writing too clumsy, should see a bed ASAP!
Cheers,
Roo Evans

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:00 pm

dcm wrote:nice images, needs some improvements

anyway, who wants to have 2 tons of marble in middle of living room ?
Again, client insisted on this, I had a smaller one first.. he also has one in his current appartment that measures 2.4m X 2.4m.. hope it won't fall through the roof :D
Cheers,
Roo Evans

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Well if the client wants things like that that's a different story. I don't have much experience in the field but there is perhaps no reason to convince him for a thing.

In other words you are probably on the right track already. Care about the finitions, then eventually, loose the perfect shading and show him two variations of one shot, to see how you can influence him. Move one chair, add one cocktail and see.
obsolete asset

JK

Post by JK » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Bout the plants outside - try rotating and scaling every single one of them(sometimes not even with proportions), now they kinda look like a corn field ;)

Fire at the fireplace - looks shopped ;) - maybe some small pieces of heated coal instead? Its pretty difficult to make good fire in Indigo, especially when ur using sketchup. BTW - fireplace and a TV on the top? Kinda risky ;>

If you wanna get luxury touch try using things that aren't usually put in normal places. My favorite is a silver apple I first saw on the new Tron movie: http://www.umnet.com/pic/diy/screensave ... -31695.jpg (this isn't the speciffic one but I guess u get the idea ;) ). Get a couple of them and put them in a nice and simple glass plateau/plate ( http://www.behrenbergglass.com/restaurants/ ). You know - the things that just "look" instead of being useful. Maybe some fine pieces of modern art? Some inspirations from google: https://www.google.pl/search?q=modern+a ... 66&bih=679

;>

Open up some closets to show whats inside(lighting, clothes - lightened dark place inside of a room with day light in it can make a good contrast sometimes).

If you wanna get inspirations try messing with keywords "luxury" "simple" and "modern" over the shops on the internet(google is a big friend here - especially the graphics searcher).

Hope it helps,

Cheers ;)

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 am

@ CTZn, thanks! I did change a few things and added some, talked the client through and he was "okay" to give it a try, just sent him a new image, let's see what he has to say.

@ JK, good idea about the plants outside! They are slightly rotated but that's it, I'll work on the scaling too.
Fireplace is shopped, no coal here, it's a biogas one, and we chose for white cobbles, there's no risk though, biogas gives heat, but not nearly as much as traditional coal/wood fireplaces.
I have many books with different kinds of interiors, it was just very hard to understand what the client was looking for. Thanks for the helpful comment :mrgreen:

Here's an update guys, this should be the final image.
Casco1.jpg
Cheers,
Roo Evans

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 pm

That carpet looks... well bad. It's not fluffy at all - try making it thicker. Also, try fixing the flames, either in Indigo or in PS. The rest looks fine, though you could render it for a little longer.

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm

in my opinion the carpet is already way too thick... but you can't see the single "hairs" of it though...
how did you model it?
did you check all the sizes of the furnitures? sth feels wrong in this room concerning proportions...
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm

You can give a try to scatter this one here as a carpet: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/fre ... del/587690
I used it on the carpet here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 32#p115432
polygonmanufaktur.de

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 am

Hi FoX!
In renders like these are indeed really difficult to handle: the small spaces give warm feelings more easily.. :?

BTW, the interior now has an architectural basis: you have your basic furniture, your basic lighting, your basic objects. Now it's time to fill it up a little with "useless" objects which will make the image look more complete (..I have the unpleasant feeling it's kinda empty at the moment..); moreover, you should vary a little the illumination.

For the first point you could add some random objects you like, and/or some plants here and there (which always make interiors look more personal: use external obj, I suggest..). Also, adding small pieces of design furniture helps in gaining sort of a more classy look.

For the illumination topic, I'd strongly suggest you try some HDRs as the basic illumination, and I also suggest you add some more lights, FIRST OF ALL THE SPOTS ON THE CEILING.

Last thing: in the "empty space" renders, materials are REEEEEEALLY essential: try to work a little more on the marble, white brick and plaster materials, adding uneven and subtle reflections. This will have a great return in the final image for sure!

20 posts