Blendigo (for Blender 2.63) 3.4.8.1

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
FakeShamus

Re: Blendigo (for Blender 2.63) 3.4.8.1

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:16 am

ok, I've been looking at this some more and it turns out the problem is with individual Blender scenes, not with overall settings... maybe someone here can help figure this out, it's very strange.

dag, going from your example, I compared numbers for the red part of the lamp, hex value 94231B.
now, in the original scene the RGB numbers for that color read:

Code: Select all

0.580 0.137 0.106
but then I created a brand new scene and made an identical material using the same value and the RGB reads:

0.296 0.0168 0.01096
and on export, that's what Blendigo writes, respectively, for the albedo color in each scene file.
so, somewhere in the Blender pipeline the color is not being interpreted the same from one scene to another.

I'm pretty sure the original scene was created with an older version of Blender, but I don't know which one now. I see that Blender color management was changed somewhere back in version 2.5, so that could be it, but I don't think my scene is that old... and besides that it's strange that the viewport would display the color correctly even though the values are so different.

anyway, with the same color tested on the new material in the new scene I can confirm that gamma 1.0 setting works fine.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:17 am

FakeShamus wrote:ok, I've been looking at this some more and it turns out the problem is with individual Blender scenes, not with overall settings... maybe someone here can help figure this out, it's very strange.

dag, going from your example, I compared numbers for the red part of the lamp, hex value 94231B.
now, in the original scene the RGB numbers for that color read:

0.580 0.137 0.106
but then I created a brand new scene and made an identical material using the same value and the RGB reads:

0.296 0.0168 0.01096
and on export, that's what Blendigo writes, respectively, for the albedo color in each scene file.
so, somewhere in the Blender pipeline the color is not being interpreted the same from one scene to another.

I'm pretty sure the original scene was created with an older version of Blender, but I don't know which one now. I see that Blender color management was changed somewhere back in version 2.5, so that could be it, but I don't think my scene is that old... and besides that it's strange that the viewport would display the color correctly even though the values are so different.

anyway, with the same color tested on the new material in the new scene I can confirm that gamma 1.0 setting works fine.
From 2.62 on (I think, maybe before, maybe after) you have to make sure that the Color Management option in the Shading tab of Render Settings is unchecked for Blender to display colors the old way. They've introduced a whole new color management system that can make it quite confusing at first. I'm still wrapping my head around it, but you can get back to the 'original' way with a bit of fiddling (then save as default...).

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:04 am

That was totally it - my old scene didn't have the color management box ticked.
Switching that makes the Blender viewport look exactly as my gamma 1.0 export tests looked.

So, it looks like either use 2.2 gamma in Blendigo export with Blender color management off, or turn it on and go with gamma 1.0 in order to match what you see on screen. But the new color management is probably the better way to go.

Now I don't suppose there's an easy way to convert material colors from the old way to the new - copying the hex values for every color...kind of tedious

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 pm

FakeShamus wrote:That was totally it - my old scene didn't have the color management box ticked.
Switching that makes the Blender viewport look exactly as my gamma 1.0 export tests looked.

So, it looks like either use 2.2 gamma in Blendigo export with Blender color management off, or turn it on and go with gamma 1.0 in order to match what you see on screen. But the new color management is probably the better way to go.

Now I don't suppose there's an easy way to convert material colors from the old way to the new - copying the hex values for every color...kind of tedious
Hm... I think you could just set the color management settings to Default in the new Blender version? I do think it's a bit weird when the halfway point on the value slider (when picking colors) is actually 0.2 or 0.1, instead of 0.5 as it used to be, but I suppose that's how 'real' color works?

I'm sure it's a huge help to have all this CM in Blender, I just haven't quite figured it out yet!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:12 am

Thanks for pointing the color management out guys, that's still usefull to me since I overlooked it in Maya.
obsolete asset

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 am

yeah, I think I have to go with the color picker that's the most intuitive, it's not just the light/dark values, as you mention, Tom, it's also harder to get any kind of rich, saturated color unless your saturation value (in HSV) is up over .9, which seems kind of extreme. so I guess that just means I'm setting gamma to 2.2 every time I install a new Blendigo...it actually looks like that's not totally accurate, the real thing that's happening in Blender is the color is being adjusted to sRGB, so 2.2 is approximately correct, but not perfect. what would be great is if Blendigo gets smart about this and automatically converts colors according to the color management setting. :D

fbrunell

Post by fbrunell » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 am

fbrunell wrote:...
I than tried to create a scene from scratch within Blender 2.63. Created a box and 4 UV sphere.

Simple renders and animation works fine. I than started to add different object, textures, Object with lights, etc. and it continued to work fine.

As soon as I import an object within my scene that comes from my library I get my problems back! Please don't tell me that my entire library is corrupted?
I've been trying to create a new scene from scratched. Everything was going well but after adding a couple of items, I finally got blender crashing or giving me strange error message :

[Indigo 2012-Oct-06 17:35:14] Writing to ID classes in this context is not allowed: CoverPage1, Material datablock, error setting indigo_material_external.material_name.

Now, the material that is referenced is an external material. It's a simple material with a diffuse image as albedo, that's it?

Even stranger. Trying to render 4 times in a row (Pressing the render button even though I have the error message, Indigo finally starts after the fourth time. Also Blender started crashing on that new scene again.

fbrunell

Post by fbrunell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm

fbrunell wrote:Found another bug.

When an object is a child of another object, the parent get motion blurred but not the child!

Edit: it is the same thing for recurcive childs...
Also, second thing... Camera movement does not generate motion blur! In past versions (blendigo 2.x), I think I remember having seen 2 different options to get Motion Blur. One for object movement and another for Camera movement. Would be nice to have both options but would live with camera motion blur enabled with general motion blur only...

fbrunell

Post by fbrunell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50 pm

fbrunell wrote:
fbrunell wrote:...
I than tried to create a scene from scratch within Blender 2.63. Created a box and 4 UV sphere.

Simple renders and animation works fine. I than started to add different object, textures, Object with lights, etc. and it continued to work fine.

As soon as I import an object within my scene that comes from my library I get my problems back! Please don't tell me that my entire library is corrupted?
I've been trying to create a new scene from scratched. Everything was going well but after adding a couple of items, I finally got blender crashing or giving me strange error message :

[Indigo 2012-Oct-06 17:35:14] Writing to ID classes in this context is not allowed: CoverPage1, Material datablock, error setting indigo_material_external.material_name.

Now, the material that is referenced is an external material. It's a simple material with a diffuse image as albedo, that's it?

Even stranger. Trying to render 4 times in a row (Pressing the render button even though I have the error message, Indigo finally starts after the fourth time. Also Blender started crashing on that new scene again.
fbrunell wrote:1. Installed Windows 7 (Formating the hard drive prior to make sur I leave nothing out)
2. Installed Windows 7 updates
3. Installed GeForce 670 latest drivers (from ASUS Website)
4. Installed Norton Internet Security
5. Installed Python 3.2 Windows 64bit MSI
6. Installed Visual C Redist 2010 (Which includes 2005, 2008 and 2010 32 & 64 bits packages)
7. Insatlled Blender 2.63a from Blender website
8. Insatlled Indigo 3.4.8 along with Blendigo 3.4.8.1 included package

I'm puzzled here... blender crashes systematically on me when rendering through blendigo.

I also just tried to install Python 3.3 and the new Blender 2.64 but without any changes.

Anybody else has this problem?

1. To rule out bugs, I reinstalled everything (I mean, Everything!!!) on my first system.
2. To rule out my scenes, I started new scene from scratch
3. First I though that problems started to occur only after I launched an animation but I created a scene with cubes only and after I had a couple (between 50 and 75), pressing Render launch Indigo but Blender crashes just after.
4. I wanted to rule out any physical problems I could have on my system if any (faulty memory,etc.) so I went on my second system (and started a scene from scratch. Created around 100 cubes, and started an animation. At frame 2, Blender crashes.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem? :? :cry:

fbrunell

Post by fbrunell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 pm

fbrunell wrote:
fbrunell wrote:Found another bug.

When an object is a child of another object, the parent get motion blurred but not the child!

Edit: it is the same thing for recurcive childs...
Also, second thing... Camera movement does not generate motion blur! In past versions (blendigo 2.x), I think I remember having seen 2 different options to get Motion Blur. One for object movement and another for Camera movement. Would be nice to have both options but would live with camera motion blur enabled with general motion blur only...
Yes I know, I'm on fire!!!

Ok, I know this one is far fetched. You have to admit that it would make the Blender/Indigo combinaison ROCK....

Object with armature does not get motion blured (yeah, I know... probably weeks if not months of coding right?) Well, I had to ask!!!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 am

FakeShamus wrote: the other thing is the missing support for indigo sphere primitives. we used to be able to name an object ".sphere" and it would generate a perfect sphere primitive instead of a mesh. but this doesn't work currently. I have a number of scenes where I would use this if we had it back.
How would you get the radius for the sphere though?

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 am

OnoSendai wrote:
FakeShamus wrote: the other thing is the missing support for indigo sphere primitives. we used to be able to name an object ".sphere" and it would generate a perfect sphere primitive instead of a mesh. but this doesn't work currently. I have a number of scenes where I would use this if we had it back.
How would you get the radius for the sphere though?
From the bounding box, should be relatively easy :idea:

27 posts