Materials & lighting competition winners

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
lycium

Materials & lighting competition winners

Post by lycium » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 am

The August 2012 Materials and Lighting competition has been a tremendous success, and we've been looking over the entries with great enthusiasm since last Thursday - thanks to all the participants for the awesome submissions!

It wasn't easy selecting among the many strong entries (be sure to look through the entire final entries thread!), however after considerable deliberation we're proud to announce the three winning entrants:

First place: Pibuz

Image Image

Pibuz (Filippo Scarso) joined the competition early with his astonishingly realistic entries, showing once again why Italian architects are a force to be reckoned with in commercial archviz! The materials used, especially on the ceiling, are exceptionally high quality, and attention to detail can be noticed everywhere.

A change of lighting in the second image submission beautifully illustrates the power of light layers, bringing everything together to secure the win in our Materials and Lighting competition.

Pibuz can enjoy an early Christmas with the following first place prizes:
1 Arroway textures Complete bundle
2 Evermotion collections
2 CGAxis collections
€200 designconnected.com voucher
1 Indigo Renderer
Second place: Zom-B

No Indigo competition would be complete without an elegant and technical entry by Zom-B (Arthur Staschyk), and it's business as usual with the stunningly detailed, "lived in" living room render that just looks natural and comfortable - a suspension of disbelief that's difficult to achieve in CG without excellent lighting and materials. We'd like to have a sip of that espresso!

Zom-B can add the following spoils to his war chest:
1 Arroway textures Wood Veneers - Complete Edition
1 Evermotion collection
1 CGAxis collection
€150 designconnected.com voucher
1 Indigo Renderer
Third place: Mor4us

Image Image

New Indigo user Mor4us' entry is stylish and clean, with an attention to natural lighting and realistic everyday materials. The use of brushed metal, glass and curtain materials in particular is highly effective, creating a believable interior space from the provided base geometry without really complex lighting and material set-up - a great showcase of Indigo's natural-looking, physically-based materials.

Mor4us indeed gets more than just praise:
1 Arroway textures Construction Materials
1 Evermotion collection
€100 designconnected.com voucher
1 Indigo RT
Some comments on the other entries:

The rodent regent tar_gniK delivered a highly detailed and original recreation room from the basic scene provided, narrowly missing the top spots due to the strong competition. Undoubtedly a top-notch entry with character and great lighting.

Bosseye's entry featured a bold, original concept with a dark mood, very distinct from the other entries and a great variation on the provided scene.

The different times of day in vl_dm's entry are well complemented, in particular the city lights outside at night.

Another creative and fun render we greatly enjoyed was polygonmode's dusty apartment, with the half-done walls, footprints (and hidden Indigo logo!) on the floor and shafts of light coming through the windows. A great effort by a new Indigo user!

The overall mood, use of dusty participating media and interesting background story in JK's entry made for quite an entertaining submission!

The burglar breaking into the pristine room in Oscar J's entry is a result of some humourous back and forth in the competition thread, always enjoyable in the Indigo community :)

We're grateful to Heiko Schmidt / Impulse for providing the base scene; it was very interesting to see what the entrants did with it!

It's been an exciting competition and we hope to see you all again for the next one - thanks to everyone who participated, including those who didn't finish in time and provided great community input :D

Thanks again to our great sponsors for their generous prize donations:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Materials & lighting competition winners

Post by Zom-B » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:19 am

Doing some happydance now

Image Image Image Image Image

JK

Post by JK » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 am

Congrats to the winners! :)

cotty

Post by cotty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 am

JK wrote:Congrats to the winners! :)
+1

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:58 am

THAT

IS

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot you guys for all your tips and support during the WIP section, and obviously thanks for the very kind words and the work description!

I wish I had a dancing banana like Zom-B. If you know what I mean......

THANKS A LOT!

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 am

Yes it was pretty cool watching all these really good entries!

Congrats to the winners, and all the participants, and to polygonmode as his approach was awesome. good story and great mood. great dust, too ;-)

polygonmode

Post by polygonmode » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am

big high 5 to all! The winners and all the other submitters! really cool images and ideas.

Thanks, polinalkrimizei!

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 am

Congratulations Pibuz, Zom-B and Mor4us!

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 am

WOW, that's some real surprise!!!
Didn't expect to win anything with alle these great competitors, thought to i would be far out of range!
Congratulations especially to Pibuz and Zom-B.
I'm really looking forward to join this great indigo community and all your knowledges!

Thanks to the Indigo team and all the generous sponsors for hosting contests like these!

regards

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 am

Great work Pibuz!
You really did a great job, you just blew my socks off with those renders! I really like the little lamps you added in the darker one. You really deserved it!

And also congratulations to Zom-B and Mor4us, I really think Zom-B has a very nice material and scene setup while Mor4us has a very sylish and magazine-like approach to it!

Cheers,
Roo Evans

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Congratulations you three - certainly well deserved winners I'd say, a selection of stunning images that really showcase brilliant modelling, composition, lighting and material use.

I think more should be made of the fact that Pibuz is a Sketchup user too - to achieve those kinds of results with what many consider a fairly basic modelling package is just exceptional and needs shouting about. Pibuz images are just perfect for advertising the potential of indigo to a more casual modelling crowd as well as more hardcore modellers looking for a decent renderer.

I enjoyed that competition, first one I've entered. Roll on the next one!

waz

Post by waz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:44 am

Alla grande Filippo!
Congratulations to the winners!

I was impressed by the work of polygonmode. Really good.

See you at the next contest.

Waz

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 am

I had a feeling it would be hard to top Pibuz when I saw his first WIP renders...

Congratulations to all! (Sketchup rules!)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:32 am

Grazie Walter! Il tuo stile si riconosceva :)
Thanks a lot VoytecH! And yes: Sketchup RULES! :D :D :D

bahamut

Post by bahamut » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 am

Congratulation for all competitors.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1