Marble tiles

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
CTZn

Re: Marble tiles

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 am

At this point Pibuz I am exploring full ranges for parameters, while a specific material would use a narrow range of variance.

A little practice makes you easy with the medium's parameters, they use one float number (by an uniform spectrum). I'm taking the challenge to make convincing materials in time but right now the classification is minerals, calcites possibly ;)

I am preparing the Hard-Core HD version of the shader above, and then I'll go into colour. That's the scary thing.

quick edit: Removed a bad shader below, I threw it in before it was tested :oops:
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 am

Beta of the tiled 2D procedural marble material.

You will find plenty of controls in the albedo shader editor. I am to add a few more in other shading parameters plus some optimisations/cleaning.
Attachments
tiledMarbleV2beta_testScene.jpg
tiledMarbleV2beta.pigm
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
obsolete asset

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

CTZn wrote:Beta of the tiled 2D procedural marble material.

You will find plenty of controls in the albedo shader editor. I am to add a few more in other shading parameters plus some optimisations/cleaning.
That looks damn good! I need to get a leg up on ISL...

Soon I'll have to start hiring people to write good shaders ;)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

No problem Tom I can be as many as you want to hire haha ! I am not forgetting that there are better shader writers around here.

By the way I owe the community a tutorial on ISL, though you can already find a couple in the online documentation.
Attachments
marbleControls.gif
I like to bring control to the user, exploring procedural textures is certainly one of the best aspect of them. More in the final version.
marbleControls.gif (9.89 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Uploaded MarbleStudio2D.

obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

..I have to get a little more familiar with ISL too.. DEFINITELY!
Atm, parametric shaders are something obscure to me: I tend to stick to the good ol' textures :lol:

BUT: when I see such a wonderful mat, I start exploring new possibilities with my mind, and I realize how far I am from REAL pros.

BTW, community does need good tuts about writing and using ISL, that is very important.

Back to your material, CTZn: is it SSS? Or it can be applied to flat surfaces too? like a wall, I mean..

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 pm

WTF!!! You beat me.

I wanted to do this one since my trip to Rome last december where I shot lots of marbles... Never had the time though : good job!
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Wow, great shader, Adam!

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:58 pm

That's quite nice, I'd only wish one could see it astexture before it is applied in the scene, so one could see faster the changes and tweak at will.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 am

Pibuz, it's a Phong material, no sss. That's why I call it fast marble, beside optimizations. Also the shader is defined in 2d, it is the interference of 3 continuous veins wich bring the illusion of depth up.

Etienne, every material from you we don't see to happen is a loss to us ! I would be honored if you were to take this material as definitive, as much as I would regret it. I don't mean to close the topic on marbles; specially about the many colour and cristals one stone can bear; this ramp is boring. In all cases you are welcome to review and enhance my work.

Thanks Yves, finally something I'm good at :lol: ;) At this point I'm missing a separator (with label ?) for the params layout to clarify a bit.

Pixie, I'm noting your +1 on the ticket #483:
Virtual plane rendering for materials parameters
Mainly, for ISL development (parameter preview). Just as what standalone texture generators does, this would map the (unit or custom) UV range over the display picture. [...] Suggested UI layout is into a new tab.
Now with orthographic cameras it will be easy to build such a test scene. So did I for the first images in this topic (with perspective of course).
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Empirism won (this time), the shader is back on tracks after a long, brute force struggle. I could clearly imagine what I wanted to do but the path to realisation was epic :oops:

This time it is all about the mortar keeping the same shape while the width between tiles is changed. This version of the shader focuses on the mechanics for that aspect, don't mind the rest right now.
Attachments
tiled_marble_RC1_alpha_01.jpg
Displacement.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 am

Featuring two displacement options: mortar depth and tiles height:
Attachments
tiled_marble_RC1_alpha_03.jpg
mortar is bumpy !
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Based on tiledMarbleV2beta material.
Attachments
ForgotenTiles.jpg
Forgotten render

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am

Here you go with a near final version, let me know what should be added or changed.

The current settings might differ from those used in the image. Displacement is on by default.

I would be glad to see some real applications with the shader.
Attachments
tiled_marble_RC1.jpg
tiled_marble_RC1.igm
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
obsolete asset

44 posts