Render crashes after an hour every time!

Come here for help & support.
ENSLAVER

Re: Render crashes after an hour every time!

Post by ENSLAVER » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm

90+ degrees celcius? You are lucky it hasn't caught on fire or caused permanent damage - I believe the recommended upper limit for most CPU's is 55C

I wouldn't use it until you get the temperature down.
Is the CPU fan spinning?
Is it clogged up with dust?
Is the heatsink mounted properly?

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Yeah attached the core temp reading when it is running without indigo. It is a hp elitebook 8540p

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm ... html?dnr=1

Yeah warm air is blowing out so I guess the fan is working?? On the outside it looks pretty free of dust though I'm a bit hesitant to open it up as it looks like you got to pull the whole thing apart (bit of a newbie in that department). I'll get a air duster first to see if that does the trick.

I thought I'd also try the other render model to see if it is pushing it too hard as well...

I have also been having some problems trying to update the recent driver for the NVIDIA NVS 5100M graphics. When I do update then restart, the computer fails to load windows and I have to go into system recovery to get it working again... This may potentially be adding to the problem??
Attachments
CoreTemp-Scr.png

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

New render causing the problems...

Rerendering first model for 20 minutes now, core temps generally stable around low 80s...
Attachments
20101021 SP MOD P2 RENDER 2.jpg

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 pm

lol like I said, you probably shouldn't be using it at all.

Once you hit 70-90 you will most likely encounter all kinds of computational errors (risking permanent damage) so... installing drivers + CPU errors = dead windows.

Edit: didn't read lol - Anyway, yeah compressed air in all the holes you can find, be careful with it though that stuff can freeze components if you spray it too close. Air from an air compressor or reversed vacuum cleaner is much better if you have access. Opening it up would be ideal, but laptops especially can be a pain in the ass, if you know someone that has experience opening up laptops let them have a look.

Opening has the added advantage of being able to stop the fans spinning (tape/toothpick) while using air to dust them, spinning fans from high power compressed air can create voltage backwards...

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok will hold off playing around with it anymore until I check the fan and sort out the potential dust problem.

Yeah the first render that I retested kept rendering past where the 2nd one failed, though the cpu heat definitely got up there (see attached).

I thought the slave problem was also solved though when I tried to start it with this render it crashed the master as it had done previously...

Cheers, will get back to ya...
Attachments
CoreTemp-Scr2.png

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Ok, My problem is solved anyway but no idea if the two are related - I brought my computer in to see what was going on and as it turns out the hard drive was totally fried! Hence why my computer was crashing half way through a render. got a new 64 gb hard drive - 'C drive' and now everything is fine. This was the reason for my blue screen issue - hope this helps....

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 am

ENSLAVER wrote:90+ degrees celcius? You are lucky it hasn't caught on fire or caused permanent damage - I believe the recommended upper limit for most CPU's is 55C
According to intel, my i7 870 is fine up to 105°C.
In genereal, that 55°C recommendation is probably back from Pentium II days?
No CPU (with stock cooling) these days stays at 55°C under load.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:38 am

Also today, all CPUs shut down speed if overheating, so it's very unlikely to cause hardware damage to the CPU by overheating.

I had once the heatsink/fan that detached itself from the CPU... I just had to figure out why my computer was suddenly so slow :)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:30 am

PureSpider wrote:
ENSLAVER wrote:90+ degrees celcius? You are lucky it hasn't caught on fire or caused permanent damage - I believe the recommended upper limit for most CPU's is 55C
According to intel, my i7 870 is fine up to 105°C.
In genereal, that 55°C recommendation is probably back from Pentium II days?
No CPU (with stock cooling) these days stays at 55°C under load.
Ha I guess I am kind of stuck back in the PII days. I just checked to see if I had headroom to overclock my old phenom x4 further, 55-61C is the manufacturers recommended max. Ofcourse the manufacturer will always be extremely cautious with their limits.
galinette wrote:Also today, all CPUs shut down speed if overheating, so it's very unlikely to cause hardware damage to the CPU by overheating.

I had once the heatsink/fan that detached itself from the CPU... I just had to figure out why my computer was suddenly so slow :)
The throttling is handled by the motherboard though?

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:The throttling is handled by the motherboard though?
BIOS handles CPU throttling. It monitors temps, and once too high, speeds are downclocked. I can't trust BIOS readings though, because their temperature readings can be misleading. For example if the temp sensor is located at the edge of the CPU like some motherboards, or near the core (which is more accurate).

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Awesome, sprayed the holes out with an air duster and now no problems, render went through the night with temperatures around what is shown below...

Cheers for the help, will keep on top of this periodically...
Attachments
CoreTemp-Scr.png

26 posts