Indigo Renderer 3.2.8

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
lycium

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.2.8

Post by lycium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:37 am

Yeah, the CPU is generally more accurate doing the same operations (historically GPUs always used "good enough" approximations for games, and I guess this still holds true to some degree).

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:01 am

lycium wrote:Yeah, the CPU is generally more accurate doing the same operations (historically GPUs always used "good enough" approximations for games, and I guess this still holds true to some degree).
Ok so there is no chance for it to be solved, I can't correct all meshes manualy, will stay with cpu...

thx

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:16 am

Many thanks for the fixed phong darkening on GPU, works like a charm!

But hey, whats that: "Return of the Terminator Issue?!"
terminator.png
Jambert wrote:Ok so there is no chance for it to be solved, I can't correct all meshes manually, will stay with cpu...
In theory you could set a subdiv of 1 for the "evil meshes" without smoothing, but view dependent and a angle of 0 and pixel threshold of lets say 3... that could help!

I had "speed issues" duo to looong polys in CAD based models before... had to learn to throw a knife cut here and there during building up my scenes... you could too :)
Attachments
terminator.pigs
(45.7 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:41 am

Jambert wrote:
lycium wrote:Yeah, the CPU is generally more accurate doing the same operations (historically GPUs always used "good enough" approximations for games, and I guess this still holds true to some degree).
Ok so there is no chance for it to be solved, I can't correct all meshes manualy, will stay with cpu...

thx
Please read what I wrote about what the cause of the problem is, and how to fix it.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:06 am

lycium wrote:
Jambert wrote:

thx
Please read what I wrote about what the cause of the problem is, and how to fix it.
I understand, many ways to fix it
- erase long thin triangles and replace it by clean quads
or
- knife cut
or
- or subdivision without smoothing

it doesn't mean problem is solved, I still can't render my CAD model with GPU without cleaning all meshes. And, as I understand, "historically GPUs always used "good enough" approximations for games, and I guess this still holds true to some degree", so can't be solved because not an indigo issue.

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:32 am

Well, this is understandable too... May I ask, which CAD modelling program you're using? Surely they are working in double precision before exporting, and have some kind of option to limit the angles inside a triangle (for those needles, one of the angles gets very close to 180 degrees).

Our problem is that the input data is limited in precision (32bit), nearly degenerate, and the GPU has less precision than a CPU. These are quite difficult constraints, so we really should hope for an automated tool in the modelling program to help.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 am

Whaat wrote:Hey, thanks for making the sky brighter - I was really noticing that the shadows are typically too dark.

I have a possibly new bug report that would be great to have fixed:
When you render a material ID or alpha render, if you have a material that uses a PNG with transparency (eg. a leaf of a tree) - The alpha render or ID render will not respect the transparency/null material. So instead of the render showing the outline of the clipped leaf, you get a render showing all the leaves as rectangles.

This makes these render modes somewhat useless if your scene contains vegetation (which all of mine typically do) and adds a fair bit of extra post pro work.

Hopefully, it's an easy fix. :)

Thanks!
Hey Whaat,

I am pretty sure I fixed this not too long ago (during 3.2.x). It should also work for materials that use the PNG alpha layer. Do you have a simple scene that shows this issue?

edit: actually, PNG transparency will not work with the material ID tracer, because the material ID tracer can only work with step blend on (it can only be one ID, either A or B, not a mix of two) and PNG transparency does not have step blend exposed as an option anywhere. But it should work for the alpha tracer.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 am

lycium wrote:Well, this is understandable too... May I ask, which CAD modelling program you're using? Surely they are working in double precision before exporting, and have some kind of option to limit the angles inside a triangle (for those needles, one of the angles gets very close to 180 degrees).

Our problem is that the input data is limited in precision (32bit), nearly degenerate, and the GPU has less precision than a CPU. These are quite difficult constraints, so we really should hope for an automated tool in the modelling program to help.
Ì use solidworks, I've made test with higher quality level but no good result

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:50 am

Interesting. My GPU works fine now, no problems as before. I didn't change any drivers or anything, so I'll leave it alone and call it fixed.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 am

Hey Jambert,
rendering Solidworks objects with Blender/Indigo sucks and doesn't go without manual adjustments most of the time. But one or two knifecuts solve the problem most of the time.

Also take a look at Blender 2.62, since it ships with the brand new Remesh modifier :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... h_Modifier

It actually does a well job with some imported objects that don't have too complex shapes, but with beveled objects you need a crazy high octree depth with results in a quite "heavy" scene, if it works at all.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

Whaat wrote: When you render a material ID or alpha render, if you have a material that uses a PNG with transparency (eg. a leaf of a tree) - The alpha render or ID render will not respect the transparency/null material. So instead of the render showing the outline of the clipped leaf, you get a render showing all the leaves as rectangles.
Already reported.
A bump from you won't harm though ;) Thanks

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

First run reboot my system(Ubuntu Linux). And other runs logging me out. WTF are you coded in there? :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 pm

SmartDen wrote:First run reboot my system(Ubuntu Linux). And other runs logging me out. WTF are you coded in there? :)
Hi SmartDen,
This will probably be your GPU driver crashing :)

lycium

Post by lycium » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

SmartDen wrote:First run reboot my system(Ubuntu Linux). And other runs logging me out. WTF are you coded in there? :)
Even a GeForce 9800 GT from 6/7 years ago runs well with GPU acceleration; WTF are you using in there? :)

(Seriously, it would be good to know at least which GPU you're using, how much RAM, whether it's Ubuntu 11 or 10, etc..)

Zlaty Lev

Post by Zlaty Lev » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:09 am

The following problem occurs when I render with my master and a slave.
Without slave everything is ok. This was rendered on 64 bit 3.2.5 so I made a update to 3.2.8. and got the same result.
It occurs with all rendermodes.

Master is a Intel i7 k2600 with Vista, Slave is a AMD Phenom II X6 1055 with Win 7!
Attachments
BidMlt wo Slave.jpg
Bidir with MLT only Master, no Slave
BidMlt wo Slave.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 6851 times
BidMlt w Slave.jpg
Bidir with MLT with Slave
BidMlt w Slave.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 6851 times

38 posts