Public alpha release of IndigoMax

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
subpixel
Developer

Re: Public alpha release of IndigoMax

Post by subpixel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:29 am

I'm glad it worked, since it means where to look ;) I'll fix it asap.
Thanks for your feedback!

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi, just a quick bugfix of issues reported by Enslaver.
Thanks again for reports,

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

subpixel wrote:Hi, just a quick bugfix of issues reported by Enslaver.
Thanks again for reports,
Awesome, downloading.

Javadevil

Post by Javadevil » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Just tried the latest build, looks like the geometry problem has been solved.
I had a couple of scenes that were missing polies everywhere.

Wheres the environment at ? I noticed I can select a light for the sun, but theres no sky ?

cheers

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Javadevil wrote:Just tried the latest build, looks like the geometry problem has been solved.
I had a couple of scenes that were missing polies everywhere.

Wheres the environment at ? I noticed I can select a light for the sun, but theres no sky ?

cheers

It's in the "maps" section, drag it to the environment as an instance (press 8 to bring up the environment window).

Last edited by ENSLAVER on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 pm

On the sunsky topic, @subpixel, would it be possible to streamline the process? Something like the vray sun - when you add it, it asks if you want to add the environment and automatically links the sun to it, which saves about 543 clicks =P

A script could do it but I'm not sure if it would be easily accessible for all users - Perhaps one day there will be an "indigo toolbar" with pretty buttons like "add sun/sky", "Make all materials indigo materials" and other goodies. ;p

Javadevil

Post by Javadevil » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Enslaver,
Thats what I have been doing but theres still no sky, when rendered its a black background ( no sky ) and only the sun light.

Will tonemapping be interactive ?

cheers

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Javadevil wrote:Hi Enslaver,
Thats what I have been doing but theres still no sky, when rendered its a black background ( no sky ) and only the sun light.

cheers

It could be a tonemapping problem (ie. if the sun is in the shot everything will be black apart from the sun in reinhard..)

Try using a different type of light or different sequence adding the light/selecting/environtment stuff. I noticed mine was black once but I was guessing it was just the tonemapping.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Well, it seems a bit more subtle bug than this (I've suspected as well tonemapping and light layers), however this bug occurs when there's any geometry in scene, without it it renders fine sky env. I'll have to contact Nick, since it seems like SDK bug.

Meanwhile, I'm working on implementation of new version 3.2.6 of Indigo SDK. HDRI error was solved. Export function is mostly working properly.
I'm adding Blend Material, Light Object, non-blocking workflow and some minor enhancements. Hope to release something midway soon.

Enslaver: Yes, I plan to streamline env setup process, yet it's still alpha. Anyway, all suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers,
Jake

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Javadevil wrote:Hi Enslaver,

cheers
If your issue is similar to that one then ENSLAVER is probably right. My answer to the post linked explains why the black sky in this case.
obsolete asset

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi CTZn,

It seems to be a different issue, thanks for pointer though. The problem is that it renders fine with linear tonemapping when there's not geometry, but once you add object it renders pitch black (same tonemapping). Light is calculated properly though.
Yes, tonemapping will be interactive with interactive sessions.

Cheers,

Javadevil

Post by Javadevil » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 am

Phew, I thought I was going crazy XD

Good news on the interactive tonemapping, will it also be able to tonemap after the render has complete ?
Not just an interactive mode ?

cheers

rawalanche

Post by rawalanche » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 am

Hi,

I just tried indigomax with trial version of indigo and whetever i try to render any little more complex scene of my (250 000+ polys) render windows just opens, but rendering lasts only about a second and then i get black output. Is there any poly count limit for trial version or something?

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 am

rawalanche wrote:Hi,

I just tried indigomax with trial version of indigo and whetever i try to render any little more complex scene of my (250 000+ polys) render windows just opens, but rendering lasts only about a second and then i get black output. Is there any poly count limit for trial version or something?
I've been into the millions, it's probably just the resolution - it won't render if it's above 0.7MP. If it's not the resolution, try hiding everything in the scene and unhiding the objects/lights/etc one by one until you find the issue.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 pm

@subpixel

Max crashes when I add a multi/sub-object material (not sure if you said it was fixed or on the todo list). If I import an object that already has a multi/sub-object material, it will render as expected and the material will work fine in the editor.

Sometimes an object with multiple Material IDs will stop max(indigo) from rendering when it has an indigo material applied that is using a bitmap.
The frame buffer will open and the rendering progress will jump to the end as if finished without rendering anything. I'm guessing it's a UV/Mat ID issue, when I collapse the stacks (editable poly) and select all the faces and set them to the same mat ID, it renders as expected, sometimes I need to add a UVW Map modifier as well. (I can send the object/scene if needed)

"Is it alpha or just me"
lol I am pretty sure most of these are on your todo list, just putting them here incase they have been missed, mostly low priority stuff.

Can't apply a material to particles
Camera response list empty
Complex IOR list empty
SSS isn't quite working
Aperture diffraction has no effect
Black ring around sun with BiDir on (not sure if that was/is an indigo bug or if the plugin is using old filtering etc)

172 posts