Rocking Chair

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Headroom
Indigo 100

Rocking Chair

Post by Headroom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:12 am

I started this a while ago to improve my basic modeling skills and to get a better handle on UV mapping.
It still has a few issues in the modeling department but it's mostly done, so next I need to UV map it.

I've been trying to find some high quality free textures but have about decided that the time I already spend searching is better spent improving my UV map skills. Where do you get your hightg res, high quality textures (other than from Arroway.de) ?

The design of the chair is not my own but is the signature chair from David Haig:

http://www.davidhaig.co.nz/rocking_chair.html
Attachments
Rocking_Chair_-_David_Haig.jpg

cotty

Re: Rocking Chair

Post by cotty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:54 am

Nice textures :wink:
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

solarray
1st Place Winner

Post by solarray » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:07 am

Interesting chair! Only wondering about the weight it could handle...

Well for the texture I think you know cgtextures.com ? But there is another one which could be a better choice for your chair http://www.2textured.com there are quite a lot high res wood textures.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Rocking Chair

Post by Headroom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 am

David Haig has built several hundred of these over the years for clients worldwide so I'd believe that the load bearing capacity is not an issue.
I have a subscription
to the Fine Woodworking magazine and this chair and his work was featured in the Pro Portfolio section.
Having had this subscription for a number of years a while ago I decided to just model some of the designs I liked. There are a number of furniture makers that make stunning stuff that would truly enhance many fine renders that currently feature another piece of furniture. The Eames chairs are nice but there is better stuff out there.

I did not find what I was looking for on cgtextures but will check out the other site you mentioned. Thanks!
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:05 am

Making progress, slowly but surely, but slowly....... :lol:

UV mapping turned out quite a bit more complicated than I hoped. I think that in the end I'll have spent more time UV mapping it than modeling.
Attachments
Rocking_Chair_-_David_Haig_-_WIP.jpg

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 am

Great mapping, fantastic!
Keep on! This is what quality visualisation of "simple" objects defines!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

haluperido

Post by haluperido » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 am

Really nicely done - looks real! :)

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 am

I love renders like this. I second what Zeitmeister said.

Question: Can you elaborate on how you fitted the mapping so that it curves? Particularly, looking at the leg.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 am

hey Max,

your bump map looks quite... questionable :P

if you use a "grey centered" bump map try to set indigo to use it also that way!

simply set your "b" at a value and "c" at 1/2 of "b" negative, example:
b:0.05 c:-0.025

By that you don't only get bump inside your model, but also some to the outside and end up with a less artificial bump behavior! Also use a map based of high contrast bump map for exponent map, so your scratched holes in the wood don't shine so nicely, since the aren't in the real world too ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am

Beautiful texturing. Keep going!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for the kind and encouraging remarks!

Here is another full view of the chair, now fully UV-mapped. As I had anticipated, the arm rests were quite a challenge and in the end required compromises so I have to be careful from what angle I do my "shots"

@ Zom-B
Thanks for the helpful hints! The initial material was a simple blend between a diffuse and phong with a bump maThe material is a blend between a diffuse and phong blended by the "exponent" map. The textures are from the Arroway wood collection and come with a "specularity" map, which I had to adjust the level on to get any effect in Indigo. I've tried in previous projects to use it "straight" as a exponent map but were unsuccessful. The blend technique is what I've had the most success with so far.

@ tar_gniK
I use Blender however I'd assume this is not much different from most higher end 3D packages. For mor complex shape and the best control you first define the seams where you want your mesh to be "cut open". then you click on Unwrap and Blender unwraps the mesh for you while trying to observe as small a of a mesh deformation as possible. How small depends on the complexity of the mesh and your skill in defining the seams. Blende offers a good number of editing methods for UV-maps. You can use proportional editing to gently pull the UV-map into shape to get the desired mapping effect.

I am still tuning the lighting and the material. Any good suggestions as to how to avoid the ugly color banding ?
Attachments
Rocking_Chair_-_David_Haig_-_WIP_5.jpg

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:58 pm

If you mean the banding in the background, I don't think it's such a terrible thing, as it gives the suggestion of a background/form as opposed to a flat surface or gradient. Having shadows come into the scene from objects/lighting outside the shot can suggest a bit of context.

Anyway, texturing looks great. I would just smooth out your background object and angle your lights a bit better.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am

You could move your light sources around a little or add something to break up the backdrop, subtle bump/texture - noise really.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Smoothed out lighting a little bit and added some texture to the background. Back to fine-tune the material for the close-up shot.
Attachments
Rocking_Chair_-_David_Haig_-_WIP_7.jpg

LithiumDesign

Post by LithiumDesign » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 am

Headroom wrote:Smoothed out lighting a little bit and added some texture to the background. Back to fine-tune the material for the close-up shot.
Great work with the modelling and texturing!! The backdrop material seems like it's repeating too often, maybe try and just make a noisy/patchy tecture, very subtle and no bump? Maybe a map like this, lower the contrast of the map to make it less "harsh"

I used the attached map on my table - Image
Attachments
Concrete_Floor_ABDeeN_bump.jpg
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

23 posts