Can't get geometry into Indigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
m2tts

Post by m2tts » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm trialing Indigo 3.0.14 64bit for Win7 and trying to use Blender to transfer my models from SolidWorks. So I have some stuff in Blender but having no luck getting the model from Blender into Indigo. I've installed the Blendigo addin into Blender and tried exporting an indigo mesh, and an indigo scene, but indigo does not see the mesh file and says there is an error with the scene file. Enabling the Indigo renderer in Blender also does not show anything when I try to render. Says I have no Indigo materials assigned. What is the work flow I'm supposed to be using?

Thanks in advance.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Can't get geometry into Indigo

Post by Headroom » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:30 pm

You need to update to the newest versions:

Blender 2.61
Blendigo 3.2.3.1 http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=11339
Indigo 3.2.5 http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=11330

The last version in the "Downloads" section of this website 3.0.14 is compatible with the last version of Indigo in the downloads section but only compatible with some specific Blender versions before 2.6.

The best way to keep up-to-date is to follow the forum posts. There is definitely some information lacking on the website that explains that and you are not the first new user that has encountered this problem. This situation is likely to get better as past 2.5 versions of Blender becomes more stable. Blendigo is written in Python and the Python API in the "new" Blender version underwent a major overhaul.

Welcome on the Forum! It's good to see another SolidWorks user here.

As for Workflow:

1. Export your SolidWorks geometry in STL format. You should create any bevels, chamfers and other features in SolidWorks before exporting. The export STL contains a triangulated high-poly mesh so it will be difficult to edit it in Blender.
2. Import STL in Blender
3. Apply "Edgesplit" modifier.
4. You want to be very careful with Blenders "remove doubles" function - I usually don't use it. Due to the high poly nature of the STL meshes, if you don't watch the threshold for remove doubles it can make quite a mess out of your mesh.
5. CTRL-N will recalculate normals but should only be necessary if there are problems she rendering the mesh.
5. Assuming that Blendigo is installed in Blender, change the Render Engine setting in Blender from "Blender Render" to "Indigo". The panels in the Materials pane will now have settings and sub-panels that apply to Indigo material settings. These need to be adjusted to what materials you want to use.

m2tts

Re: Can't get geometry into Indigo

Post by m2tts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:58 pm

thanks for the info. I guess I made the bad assumption that all things I downloaded yesterday from blender, blendigo and Indigo would be the latest versions. I'll get the right ones and see what happens.

STL's are usually for for rapid prototyping and therefore don't care about having info on their vertexes telling grphics software to make them smooth. Does Blender do this automatically?

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 am

No. Blender does not do that automatically but it's easy enough to do.
Select your imported mesh in Blenders viewport.
Find the "Smooth" button in the tool shelf to the left side of the viewport and click it. That will Render your mesh smooth in Blender and in Indigo.

I am not sure what your experience is with Blender but generation of geometry is entirely different from SW. Be patient with yourself.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 am

I don't think your assumption was bad. It's simply that the info on the web site should be more comprehensive!
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

5 posts • Page 1 of 1