RGB Mood Lamp

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Polinalkrimizei

Re: RGB Mood Lamp

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Awesome lamp Headroom! And I'd love to see an animation, too. This is a really interesting project!

cotty

Post by cotty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 am

Polinalkrimizei wrote:And I'd love to see an animation, too. This is a really interesting project!
+1 :)
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:44 am

Again, thanks for the positive replies.

Here is a link to a shaky little video of how it currently cycles through the colors done with my mobile phone;

http://gallery.me.com/dangolboom#100126 ... olor=black

I am about 2 weeks away from building the whole "lord of the rings" system and it may be easier making a little video of it instead of an animation. The animation may happen after that just to see how it matches ;-)

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:14 am

This overall idea & the execution of the prototype are really interesting & full of possibilities!
By the finish of the "tripod" legs it looks like you are thinking about a freestanding version as well..?
It also lends itself to a ceiling & suspended versions & versions of different size diameters.......
I have to think about this one some more! The design could be strong individually & in a series as first shown.
Great idea!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:52 am

David,

Thanks! I had not thought of a free standing version until I mounted my prototype on an old Bogen-Manfrotto camera tripod, which I did to makes it easier to continue to experiment with the electronics.

I had also thought about how to suspend it from the ceiling but I'd have to change the mechanical design and make it more self-suporting. The white disc is non-structural (Gator Board) and is not what holds the thing together ;-)

The next thing I have in mind, though, is more on the electronic and software side. As I'd like to experiment a little with different color schemes I want to connect it to my computer wirelessly so I don't always have to hook a USB cable to it for uploading programs.

The ultimate kick would be a somewhat intuitive interface for iOS and Android devices so I don't need any user interface "things" aka buttons, sliders etc. on the lamp itself. No reason to put that on the lamp as many people run around with a touch screen in their pockets today.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 am

Just a little update for the board. The big update is hanging on the wall in my living room ;-)

http://gallery.me.com/dangolboom#100126 ... olor=black

Sorry guys but I am afraid an animation will still have to wait. Now that I have a working physical object it is difficult to stop playing with it!

However, I must say that without Indigo's abilities I am not sure it would ever have gone this far.

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am

It looks über-cool 8) . I didn't think it would be that big.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:24 am

Yes. The renderings are a bit deceptive in terms of size. I was hoping that the brick wall would provide more sense of the overall size but it did not work out. A chair or other in-house object would probably serve that purpose better.

The unit is about 14' (4.26m) in length. The diameter of each of the round discs is 980mm. the aluminum tubing is 1/2" OD.

23 posts