Pendant Light Display

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
ieatfish

Pendant Light Display

Post by ieatfish » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I have a pendant light I've been tweaking and was wondering what you all would do to 'display' it. I just have it in a studio setup but it seems a bit ... empty. Any ideas on how to display it without taking away from just displaying the fixture?

Intel Core-i7 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 580 | 12 GB RAM

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: Pendant Light Display

Post by StompinTom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 am

Put it over a table. Having it so close to a floor looks a bit funny. I'd say put a table and a couple of simple chairs under it, perhaps a book on the table, and it should fill up. Pretty cool lamp!

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 am

StompinTom wrote:Put it over a table. Having it so close to a floor looks a bit funny. I'd say put a table and a couple of simple chairs under it, perhaps a book on the table, and it should fill up. Pretty cool lamp!
Those are good suggestions.

It's also a good opportunity to use Indigo depth of field to accentuate the fixture within the setting. Choose styles, colors & finishes of the furniture/room setting to complement & not distract from your fixture design. Consider a setting that expresses the effect of the light output (down light, up light, side light effects) from your fixture in the most flattering way in addition to showing the sculptural quality of the fixture. (I used to be in the modern lighting design bus. & have directed lots of photography of fixtures) We would typically shoot 1 "studio" shot with clean surfaces that show the effects of light & clean form of the fixture (for designer product sheets), 1 location shot in a real context or abstracted real context like in the attached image (for the catalog) & 1 expressive "art" shot (for P.R./advertising & usually done by a different photographer). Also if the finish or material of the fixture is interesting then try rendering a detail showing it's uniqueness.

Look at some images from some good lighting companies like Artemide, LucePlan, Foscarini, etc or look on an online modern lighting store like YLighting - Category: Pendant, Chandelier http://www.ylighting.com/

Nice Lamp!
Attachments
ylighting_2177_232376926.jpg

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks a ton guys! I'll get some setups together and see what I can do.

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Here's a render I just did. Still going through different options but it is nice to see it in a setting with other things.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Ceiling seems very low... Make sure it's at least 2400mm or higher. I liked the first angle, straight on against the wall. Showing corners in rooms is always quite tricky as it very much depends on where you place the corner in the image and what's occupying the corner.

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 pm

StompinTom wrote:Ceiling seems very low... Make sure it's at least 2400mm or higher. I liked the first angle, straight on against the wall. Showing corners in rooms is always quite tricky as it very much depends on where you place the corner in the image and what's occupying the corner.
Ceiling is at 8ft (so ~2400mm) but I think my camera angle is making it goofy. I'll try some more angles.

Thanks!

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Hey,

Good work but I also wouldn't show a corner of the room.. Is this made in SketchUp?
If so feel free to share the scene if you want, I'd like to give it a go too. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Cheers,
Roo Evans

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 am

Here is a straight on shot.

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:27 am

The straight on view is much better!

I also think the ceiling could be at least 1-2 feet higher.
But the camera should remain exactly where it is.
I like the camera eye level showing the shape of the top & a peek into the bottom.

You can see the lighting effect on the ceiling which is good.
And I think you can also begin to see the lighting effect on the wall as well.

Consider making the light pattern on the wall a little stronger (but not so much that it gives some potential customers a reason not to buy the lamp!) since the design of the light fixture is primarily based on the horizontal cut outs.

Consider having the wall plane meeting the ceiling plane without any trim; it's a distracting.

Try making the ceiling & walls more white or brighter, but still keep contrast between the wall & light fixture.

The overall atmosphere needs to be less dingy cool grey & more happy & optimistic like your design. (this may just be a matter of trying different Indigo scene settings to change exposure, etc.

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:34 am

davidbaird wrote:The straight on view is much better!

I also think the ceiling could be at least 1-2 feet higher.
But the camera should remain exactly where it is.
I like the camera eye level showing the shape of the top & a peek into the bottom.

You can see the lighting effect on the ceiling which is good.
And I think you can also begin to see the lighting effect on the wall as well.

Consider making the light pattern on the wall a little stronger (but not so much that it gives some potential customers a reason not to buy the lamp!) since the design of the light fixture is primarily based on the horizontal cut outs.

Consider having the wall plane meeting the ceiling plane without any trim; it's a distracting.

Try making the ceiling & walls more white or brighter, but still keep contrast between the wall & light fixture.

The overall atmosphere needs to be less dingy cool grey & more happy & optimistic like your design. (this may just be a matter of trying different Indigo scene settings to change exposure, etc.
Great feedback! I did grey the walls slightly as the lamp was losing itself against a straight white wall. I agree about the trim and will fix that for sure. I'm still learning about the best ways to use light layers and camera settings and I'm sure that's half the problem at the moment.

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Here is an updated render. Rather than use some large emitters for ambient light, I used an environment map from here: http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Data/HighResProbes/ 3rd one down, the Ennis-Brown house.
Pendant with Table2.png

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:10 am

Much improved again!

I like vertical format, more simple wall/ceiling connection, higher ceiling, tan chairs.
That all helps the eye focus on the fixture first.
It's interesting that the horizontal lines of the room & table accentuate the horizontal lines of the fixture & the turned chair helps break up that static composition in a positive way.
I have never tried on env map in an interior setting but it seems positive.
Only visual comment I have is don't lose the color & finish of the the exterior of the fixture.
In a photo studio we would add a soft "fill" light that only affected the surface of the fixture & did not make a shadow on the wall that messed up the pattern made by the fixture.
I think your scene is really on its way. In the product design world, & just like for any design image, it's important for the image to express the beauty of the fixture (& its lighting effects) & how it makes the room beautiful.

As a beginner Indigo renderer the only thing I can say is to somehow lighten up the surface of the fixture & let the scene bake a while to make it sharp as possible.

Visualization experts like Stompin Tom, dcm, & others could advise you on how to take this scene further artistically , to render better & what to do in Post Processing with Photoshop, etc. You've come a long ways in a short time! And great lamp!

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Here is current 'best':

Headroom
Indigo 100

Pendant Light Display

Post by Headroom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Very interesting thread. Nice render too!

The advice is really priceless! Thanks David!
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

16 posts