Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
Post Reply
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
User avatar
lycium
Developer
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by lycium » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGhaggn3cQ

could be very useful for archviz :idea:

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
Contact:

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by pixie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:49 am

lycium wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGhaggn3cQ

could be very useful for archviz :idea:
Awesome! finally something Microsoft got right! xD

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by Borgleader » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

pixie wrote:
lycium wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGhaggn3cQ

could be very useful for archviz :idea:
Awesome! finally something Microsoft got right! xD
The Xbox is a relative success, Win7 is pretty good and so is MSVC imho :P
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
lycium
Developer
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by lycium » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:41 am

Nick has been swearing like a sailor about MSVC all day :lol:

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by Zom-B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 am

I have to admit that this is some hot stuff I see here!
Regarding such results with first generation of a Kinect is awesome!

The direct texture and UV generation is a Killer feature!!!1!

Higher rez with some nice mesh optimization feature and I would fall in love.

But imagine all the 3D scanned Penises all over the www -.-'
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by Borgleader » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:01 am

lycium wrote:Nick has been swearing like a sailor about MSVC all day :lol:
:? Never really had any problems with it ... then again I'm not leet like Nick. I have no edumaction (gotta find that picture again..)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
lycium
Developer
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by lycium » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

They should combine this technology with sparse voxel storage, so you add detail depending on the statistical confidence of a particular (position, normal, albedo) sample - this basically decides how deep in the tree you can put the sample. In this way, you can really start to benefit from increased precision in the sensors, and increased time spent sampling the environment.

Regarding an internet full of 3D penises, it's been full of 2D penises since the very beginning :lol:

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by Borgleader » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 am

lycium wrote:They should combine this technology with sparse voxel storage, so you add detail depending on the statistical confidence of a particular (position, normal, albedo) sample - this basically decides how deep in the tree you can put the sample. In this way, you can really start to benefit from increased precision in the sensors, and increased time spent sampling the environment.

Regarding an internet full of 3D penises, it's been full of 2D penises since the very beginning :lol:
Its even more full of penis holsters :wink:

Back to kinect though, I hope they keep making good open source motion capture software :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Using Kinect as 3D scanner

Post by Zom-B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:56 am

lycium wrote:Regarding an internet full of 3D penises, it's been full of 2D penises since the very beginning :lol:
Just as I said... its an "upgrade" ^^
polygonmanufaktur.de

Post Reply
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests