RGB Mood Lamp

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Headroom
Indigo 100

RGB Mood Lamp

Post by Headroom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm

I am in process of upgrading/redesigning a halogen lighting system I built 18 years ago.
Instead of the halogen light bulbs I am going to use RGB LEDs and microprocessor (Arduino) controlled LED drivers to give the whole thing a more dynamic effect.

This is a concept rendering.

The file has 6 light layers. 1 default and 5 for each LED. I have made some feeble attempts to do a light layer animation in the Blender video sequence editor. Works surprisingly well. However as 5 LED x 3 for each color channel plus a default layer account for 16 channels to simultaneously juggle I may abandon that idea and focus getting the thing built ;-)
Attachments
lamp_luxeon_RGB.Scene.00003.jpg

Polinalkrimizei

Re: RGB Mood Lamp

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 am

This is some very cool lamp, Headroom!. Congratz if you do this for a living, (and also if this is just a fun project). I'd love to see an animation if you have the time...

Microprocessor-controlled RGB LEDs are soo cool, some months ago we put almost 15 meters of RGB LED strips along the edges of the ceiling of my brother-in-laws living room, and it RULEZ :twisted:

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks! No I don't do that for a living, even though that would be neat. I hope to make a few more if people are interested and it would be nice if it turns into somewhat of a self sustaining hobby so it can pay for a SolidWorks license. I am currently doing the mechanical design in Alibre Design and while it is certainly capable of doing it, I have more than 10 years of experience with SolidWorks and it feels so much more fluid and quick in SW.

However, right now it is just project for fun and I am interested to see how the physical example will compare to the Indigo rendering and perhaps an animation. A general question that has always interested me aside from being able to generate nice images, how does it compare to physical reality.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 am

Great!
I love this lamp!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 am

Headroom wrote:I am in process of upgrading/redesigning a halogen lighting system I built 18 years ago.
Instead of the halogen light bulbs I am going to use RGB LEDs and microprocessor (Arduino) controlled LED drivers to give the whole thing a more dynamic effect.

This is a concept rendering.

The file has 6 light layers. 1 default and 5 for each LED. I have made some feeble attempts to do a light layer animation in the Blender video sequence editor. Works surprisingly well. However as 5 LED x 3 for each color channel plus a default layer account for 16 channels to simultaneously juggle I may abandon that idea and focus getting the thing built ;-)
Great lamp detected. :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am

..the brick texture is good too, maybe a littel repetitive though...
Wonderful lamp btw: great modeling and light-mat setting!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:41 am

Thanks for the positive comments!

First electronic components have already arrived and I think I'll be ready to play next week.
I am still redesigning the mechanical side of the project in order to keep cost at bay. Only the electronics (Arduino Uno, LED driver shields, LEDs and power supplies) cost about $350!

I've looked for quite a while until I found an affordable brick texture that included a displacement map.. Cost $5 on TurboSquid. I am sure there are more "out there" but often these are bundled into bigger libraries and aimed at pros (or perhaps affluent hobbyists). This one is obviously not particularly big, thus it repeats itself.
For this project where you have a light source sitting directly against the wall displacement was needed though.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 am

So here's a little update. The image above still reflects the dual rail design made from aluminum tubing that served for a long time as the means to power low voltage halogen bulbs.

I had to re-design that of course because obviously RGB Leds have very different electrical requirements, need heat sinks etc. Once I was done with that I decided to play around with placing a glass aperture between the LED and the backdrop to see if I could get some patterns to emerge, which worked much better than I had expected.

The second image is another concept that takes these things perhaps a step further.

As discussed in this thread:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=11053
the colors may, or may not be too saturated.
Attachments
Lord Of The Rings.jpg
Endor Star.jpg

cotty

Post by cotty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 am

Headroom wrote:Once I was done with that I decided to play around with placing a glass aperture between the LED and the backdrop to see if I could get some patterns to emerge, which worked much better than I had expected.
I would like to see a detail of this nice feature! Stylish lamps! :wink:
Cotty
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

Headroom
Indigo 100

RGB Mood Lamp

Post by Headroom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:17 am

What feature are you referring to.
Do you mean the glass plate that I called aperture ?
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

cotty

Post by cotty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Headroom wrote:What feature are you referring to.
Do you mean the glass plate that I called aperture ?
Yes!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:53 am

The glass template for the rings pattern in the first image is really exceedingly simple. It's a round glass plate with a round hole in the middle. The three LEDs are arranged in a triangular pattern on the MCPCB (Metal Core Printed Circuit Board) thus you'll end up with three rings on the wall.

With that explained if you look closely you can imagine how the pattern of the second one looks. I have a screenshot of it attached.
Attachments
Blender Screenshot.jpg

cotty

Post by cotty » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Very interesting topic. Thank you for sharing the details!
Cotty

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:10 am

I finally have a first functioning prototype assembled. I think we can put to rest any concerns that the LED colors in the renderings may be to saturated!

I have an photo attached. Not only is it truly amazing to see this in person as it cycles through the really simple color scheme (Interleaved sawtooth) but it is also truly amazing that the renders are so close to reality and could be even closer if I had provided Indigo with more accurate input (tabulated data/spectra).

I have all materials and cannot wait putting the whole thing together. It is going to be a monster spanning 14' across (this applies to the "Lord of The Rings").
Attachments
IMG_0084.jpg

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:39 am

Great work, Headroom! The lamp looks to be very cool. A video of it working could be nice :)

P.S.
Is Cartman unhappy with something about the lamp? :wink:

23 posts