Indigo 100

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by Doug Armand » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Doug

Doug Armand

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Sort of off topic, but speaking of modeling, what is the verdict on blender 2.5x? Worth grabbing? Last time I tried it, the camera movement felt kind of wierd. Im used to the turntable feel in wings 3d (where the majority of my modeling is done.)

TerraMatrix

Post by TerraMatrix » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:55 pm

@Godzilla: Great attention to detail! And I like the subtle cool/warm lighting to show it off, too. Always a pleasure to see what you're working on.

@Neo0: Not bad, Are those metaballs or normal spheres floating up out of the drink? It's a little hard to tell. One way to help seperate your subject from the background is to use backlights or rim lights, maybe it would make your liquid stand out more. See if you like the effect!

My contribution. It's been a while since I've worked in 3d, but lately I've been playing again. Very simple of course. Does this look a little off to anyone else? The dark areas bother me. Maybe my glass material needs work...
Attachments
shotglass.jpg

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm still yet to model glass correctly myself, so can't help you there.... :lol:

I second TerraMatrix on Godzilla's lighting technique, it's great. I would love it Godzilla, if you could show how you set your scene up.

More completed work....

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Yeah, those are just normal objects. My program doesn't support metaballs, although from what I hear they are quite neat. I use wings 3d with silo 3D. Fairly basic programs as far as feature set is concerned but im a poor college student. I wish it had fluid simulation too and that was one of the biggest things about blender that made me want to try it. That said, It was a nice challenge to figure out how to model convincing water droplets.

I will try out your suggestion though. The major idea was to get a surreal feel to it.. I would like to apologize for the graininess of my last render or any of my recent ones. I have been using a very cheap labtop (integrated gpu with old amd cpu) for my work. But that has changed and im now on a quad core.

I've always been interested with the concept of slow mo and im thinking of doing the classic "bullet hits wine glass in slow motion." My program doesn't have any physics sim so I will have to model everything out by hand. Prob want to avoid smoothing too.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:26 pm

@Doug

Thank you!
neo0. wrote:Sort of off topic, but speaking of modeling, what is the verdict on blender 2.5x? Worth grabbing?
It's free and used by thousands of people worldwide - I don't see how it wouldn't be 'worth it' to download and try it. Give it a go, man :wink:

@Grin Man

Thanks!

Your render is looking alright so far, I'd suggest trying an hdri map or other environment illumination to get rid of the dark areas.

@tar_gniK

Nice render, very realistic.

Unfortunately I can't post any views of the lighting setup because I've deleted that 'studio' scene :(

I used 4 lights in total - the orange and blue blackbody lights which are clear, and also an overhead white light and side light (Which the top render is facing towards)
samlavoie.xyz

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 am

TerraMatrix: make sure there is a small gap between the glass volume and the plane, they must not intersect and even not be coplanar. I assume that you are using Indigo 3.0...
obsolete asset

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:21 am

hi everyone,
here's my quick render. Inspired by union bench (idodesign.se). Smoothing in sketchup is killing me. In this case we can assume that concrete was casted that way but acording to original project it should be smooth. :evil:
Attachments
union_bench.jpg

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

wojtek-w wrote:hi everyone,
here's my quick render. Inspired by union bench (idodesign.se). Smoothing in sketchup is killing me. In this case we can assume that concrete was casted that way but acording to original project it should be smooth. :evil:

Have you tried using the Subdivide and Smooth plugin by Whaat?? That might cure your smoothing problems, if you haven't already tried it.

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:50 am

Have you tried using the Subdivide and Smooth plugin by Whaat?? That might cure your smoothing problems, if you haven't already tried it.
thanks tar_gniK ! I've just bought this plugin and I've got smoothing under contol :D (finally!) Although it took me few hours to figure out all plugin function.
Attachments
union_bench2.jpg

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 am

I cried tears of jealousy...again :wink: One day I'll be epic at modeling too :lol:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I have found that alot of it is in your mind. I mean, a lot of detail can be added just by adding points and moving them around. I don't think blender has a "add epic detail plugin" yet. Still, it goes without saying that godzilla is one of the best around these parts. Weapons are some of the hardest things to model.

I feel like I should have posted this before the mindblowing renders above, but hey im kind of proud of it

also im kinda driunk
Attachments
boom.jpg

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Actually I forgot to ask...

@Godzilla: in how many "chunks" did you model the gun? and how many polys are in there?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

4421 posts