Blendigo (for Blender 2.5x) 3.0.10

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: Blendigo (for Blender 2.5x) 3.0.10

Post by StompinTom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:30 am

I suspected something was wrong:

IES lights are broken. The light on the left is a normal area light. The middle and right light both have 2 different IES files attached, but they clearly don't work...
Attachments
ies-borked.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 am

Question on Exit Portals

Currently when assigning the Indigo material type "Exit Portal" to a blender material Indigo complains that no suh material is defined.

So I looked into an older Blendigo file and it exports Exit Portals like this :

Code: Select all

<material> <!-- light or exit portal dummy material -->
   <name>exit_portal</name>
  <null_material/>
</material>
So I patched it into a file manually and it rendered

However, while doing so I noticed that Blendigo also currnently exports a material called "blendigo_null"

<material>
  <null_material/>
  <name>
    blendigo_null
  </name>
</material>
So instead of manually patching the .igs file I renamed my blender material for the exit portal into "blendigo_null " and it rendered fine.

Am I missing something or is this a valid work round to get exit portals working now ?

Edit:

I tinkered around with it a little more and compared it to 2.6 and I don't think it is a valid work around.
What seems to gives it away is that I still can see objects outside behind my exit portal and there does not seem to be a speed up at all in clearing noise compared which is different from 2.6.
I also admit having a little difficulty relating the gibberish in the technical reference document to what I am actually seeing exported in the .igs file.

Also there is no exit_portal material available in the Indigo UI material selection.

Edit #2

So if you must use exit portals then the only way I've been able to get them to work is to manually patch the missing material into the .igs file:

<material>
		<exit_portal/>
		<name>
			exit_portal
		</name>
	</material>
Of course what is in between the <name> tag as shown above you can replace with whatever you have called your exit portal material in Blender.

stensoenes

Post by stensoenes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Changing tonemapping from reinhard to camera/linear result in black render

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 pm

There is a high likelihood that the general amount of lighting in your scene is not high enough for the camera/linear tone mapping to pick it up. If you increase the power of your lights you (or better the camera) will see something ;-)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am

Headroom wrote:Question on Exit Portals

Currently when assigning the Indigo material type "Exit Portal" to a blender material Indigo complains that no suh material is defined.

So I looked into an older Blendigo file and it exports Exit Portals like this :

<material> <!-- light or exit portal dummy material -->
   <name>exit_portal</name>
  <null_material/>
</material>
So I patched it into a file manually and it rendered

However, while doing so I noticed that Blendigo also currnently exports a material called "blendigo_null"

<material>
  <null_material/>
  <name>
    blendigo_null
  </name>
</material>
So instead of manually patching the .igs file I renamed my blender material for the exit portal into "blendigo_null " and it rendered fine.

Am I missing something or is this a valid work round to get exit portals working now ?

Edit:

I tinkered around with it a little more and compared it to 2.6 and I don't think it is a valid work around.
What seems to gives it away is that I still can see objects outside behind my exit portal and there does not seem to be a speed up at all in clearing noise compared which is different from 2.6.
I also admit having a little difficulty relating the gibberish in the technical reference document to what I am actually seeing exported in the .igs file.

Also there is no exit_portal material available in the Indigo UI material selection.

Edit #2

So if you must use exit portals then the only way I've been able to get them to work is to manually patch the missing material into the .igs file:

<material>
		<exit_portal/>
		<name>
			exit_portal
		</name>
	</material>
Of course what is in between the <name> tag as shown above you can replace with whatever you have called your exit portal material in Blender.
There is a material called 'blendigo-null' so that you can make blend materials with a Null checkbox option without creating a separate null material. The exit portal dummy material is just placeholder for now, I guess, exit portals are not actually defined (as evidenced by you being able to see what's behind...).

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 am

Silmä wrote:Phong material settings are not working properly. The "exponent" value doesn't have any effect unless you check "Specular reflectivity", so basically you can't have any meaningful materials right now...
I can't reproduce this issue, exponent is being exported and used correctly by Indigo.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 am

I think the issue is that with the previous version of Blendigo the default IOR was1.61.
In the new version the IOR is 1.0 which does not give any specular highlights whatever you set the exponent to.

I tested it and it works fine here (windows) and at home (mac).

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 am

drBouvierLeduc wrote:Playing with the camera settings, I found this bug : camera settings -> aperture checked -> AD type set to 'image' -> error :

Error: Scene parsing error: Failed to find child for element 'aperture_shape' - Child should be one of 'circular', 'generated', 'image'. 
I've checked that the export here was correct, it's possible it failed to export because the image was missing?
check the console for "WARNING: Camera Aperture Diffraction type "Image" selected, but image path is not valid".

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:35 am

dougal2 wrote:
Silmä wrote:Phong material settings are not working properly. The "exponent" value doesn't have any effect unless you check "Specular reflectivity", so basically you can't have any meaningful materials right now...
I can't reproduce this issue, exponent is being exported and used correctly by Indigo.
Now that I looked at the .igs-files, it sure does look like the exponent value is exported correctly. But still Indigo renders materials as diffuse.

Here's the .pigs -file and rendered image of my test scene:
Attachments
phongtest.jpg
phongtest.pigs
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:55 am

That's because your IOR == 1.0. Try increasing that value and you will start to see the specular highlights.

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:00 am

dougal2 wrote:That's because your IOR == 1.0. Try increasing that value and you will start to see the specular highlights.
Is there any specific reason for the default IOR to be 1? I can't remember ever having to mess with that value unless working with transparent materials.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

Silmä wrote:
dougal2 wrote:That's because your IOR == 1.0. Try increasing that value and you will start to see the specular highlights.
Is there any specific reason for the default IOR to be 1? I can't remember ever having to mess with that value unless working with transparent materials.
Might as well be 1.0 for starters. 1.0 means non-reflective (doesn't bend any light). 1.6 is ~ the reflectivity of glass (since typical glass has an IOR of 1.6).

As IOR approaches 1.0, reflectivity decreases, as IOR increases, the more reflective the object.

I liked the default value of 1.6 as it provided a good base to go from (more reflective, less reflective) and I usually start at that value before tweaking anyway.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

Silmä wrote: Is there any specific reason for the default IOR to be 1?
No, but it could be said that it's a good default because it'll make you think about what value to really use rather than just accepting the default ;)

Seriously though, I don't mind changing the default to something more sensible.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am

If we're talking about Phong, I would recommend something around 1.4 to 1.5.

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am

A default of 1.3 - 1.6 gives the shiny look most people expect from the Phong model :)

87 posts